Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

I posted this article in a thread that someone deleted pretty much immediately. It was the Greenville vs. Columbia thread. I'm giving it another try here in a new forum. The attached article, with links to two economic reports, discusses and compares the economies of SC's three largest metros to each other's and to other southern US MSAs'. While they are written from Greenville (and Clemson University's) point of view, it contains interesting comments and statistics. NewYorkBorn would appreciated this, but last I knew she had me on ignore.

Innovation could lead Greenville out of economic doldrums | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
It was a nice article. Why was it deleted?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM

I don't know.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I posted this article in a thread that someone deleted pretty much immediately. It was the Greenville vs. Columbia thread. I'm giving it another try here in a new forum. The attached article, with links to two economic reports, discusses and compares the economies of SC's three largest metros to each other's and to other southern US MSAs'. While they are written from Greenville (and Clemson University's) point of view, it contains interesting comments and statistics. NewYorkBorn would appreciated this, but last I knew she had me on ignore.

Innovation could lead Greenville out of economic doldrums | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News
I'd say Greenville has succeeded on this front.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say Greenville has succeeded on this front.
I couldn't get the link to open, but I have always thought the Greenville metro have the state strongest economy.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:40 AM

The link must have gone on to bigger things since 2010, but the past 10 years have seen a lot of growth, so I wonder what the same type of article would say now. GDP-wise, median income-wise, job growth, population growth, housing prices and rent, etc.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:20 AM

513 posts, read 576,657 times
This article would have been during the height of the great recession so I wonder if it was related to the stunted economic nature of the time. I have never heard of Greenville referred to as being in the "economic doldrums." Before the 2008 collapse Greenville was booming - downtown had seen the park open in 2004, the stadium a couple of years later, new hotels were starting to pop up, new condos, and several high rises had been proposed that died with the recession. Outside of DT there was a lot growth, apartments, big investments, etc.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:58 PM

601 posts, read 459,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
This article would have been during the height of the great recession so I wonder if it was related to the stunted economic nature of the time. I have never heard of Greenville referred to as being in the "economic doldrums." Before the 2008 collapse Greenville was booming - downtown had seen the park open in 2004, the stadium a couple of years later, new hotels were starting to pop up, new condos, and several high rises had been proposed that died with the recession. Outside of DT there was a lot growth, apartments, big investments, etc.
Indeed, that headline didn't make sense until I saw it was from 2010.

I got out of the military in February of 2009 and had a lot of free time before starting a degree program later that year. I remember going into Barnes and Noble in Greenville and seeing several middle aged men on their laptops, in the middle of a weekday. Likely people who had recently been laid off in the recession. But that was the whole country at the time.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:58 AM

A study ranks purchasing power of South Carolina’s top 10 counties:
The correlation with MSAs is strong, so I’m posting this in this thread.
It’s primarily a study of median income measured against the cost of living in each county.

Beaufort
York
Charleston
Berkeley
Dorchester
Lexington
Greenville
Lancaster
Richland
Spartanburg

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...finance/81025/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina