Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 AM

230 posts, read 626,334 times

Advertisements

I certainly understand what you see, I was just curious if there was something else to it I might have missed, outside the visual.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Before moving to be with me in Wyoming, my late wife, from New Jersey, had never been west of eastern Iowa where she attended college. She related to me that as she first crested the hill in Chamberlain and saw the Missouri and the hills beyond it she started to cry, as she had never before seen such a beautiful landscape. As you travel across I-90 there should be no doubt that the Missouri is the start of "The West".

Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
I feel a lot better when I get west of the River. Depending on the day, its either the Missouri and on rough days the Cheyenne River.

As much as I rag on Iowa, I really don't mind the Missouri Valley.

I think there is a slight difference in mentalities between east and west. However people do seem to share the same core values.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times
One can definitely notice a change in the humidity when going from East River to West River. One can notice the humidity from the James River Valley on east and notice the lesser amounts in the western third. Amazing that we have go from cornbelt/midwestern landscape to somewhat mountainous scenery in the western part with the badlands and so areas near the hills having reddish soil.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,520 times
Smile East River vs. West River in South Dakota

As one who was born in West River country of parents who herded sheep there for nearly a quarter century, I have some understanding of "that country" and the people who live west of the Missouri River. Half my life in SD (12 years) was in the west and the other half (12 years) was in the east.

From my experiences living in "cities" and towns, going to school (elementary through some graduate school) and teaching in both halves of the state, there are some differences. To some degree, these differences are diminishing but were, to a large degree dictated by the nature of the environment. Little question that Sioux Falls, Aberdeen, Huron, Aberdeen, Watertown, Brookings, etc. dwellers are more urban. Those in Pierre (I know they are east of the river as I lived there for 18 years) are actually quite west river--but not so much as they are a mile away in Ft. Pierre.

Rapid City is a bit more urban but different from the urban nature of Sioux Falls, etc. Sturgis, Belle Fourche, Wall, Philip (near where I was born in the country), Spearfish, Murdo, Kadoka, etc. are very much west river. They are primarily ranchers--not farmers as in the "east." I think the land dictates that. Still, I know and worked with some "western" ranchers in the "east" from Highmore (Pat and Willie Cowan--real cowboys) and Merle B. "Boots" Gregg, Curtis Smith and Wayne Bartlett (real cowboys) east of the river.

The river may separate but there are other issues that impact as well. Good point that we may better have been East and West Dakota(s)--but then, no infinite variety. One thing, we are all South Dakotans. John Stone

Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,712,662 times
West River:
-Broncos fans
-Denver weekend getaways
-recreation
-sunshine
-warmer weather
-ranching/grazing
-hills
-wheat
-Republicans

East River:
-Vikings fans
-Minneapolis weekend getaways
-shopping
-cloudy
-frigid winters/humid summers
-farming
-FLAT
-corn/soy
-Democrats

The most general way to put it.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 AM

41 posts, read 77,001 times
It should have been East and West Dakota. someone screwed up long ago!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
You can take that same general line (the Missouri River before it swings eastward) and continue with it southward through Nebraska, Kansas and all the way to the southern-most tip of Texas and see the same division. When I lived in west Texas (San Angelo) I got a kick out of people who said they were taking a trip "back east". Being raised in eastern Kansas and Iowa, I at first thought they meant they were going to the New York area, but no, they meant they were headed to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota