Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 03:29 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,306,708 times

Advertisements

yes.. mid to upper 80's all this coming week with no rain in sight with a likely drought in the process of forming. It makes me reconsider if I'd be happy in Florida given it's hotter, more humid, with less wind there, for months and months nonstop. In fact I'd probably be happier in a dry climate like Rapid City or Denver, and of course there's bonuses to choosing Colorado as my destination.. I can legally grow my own bud which I won't attempt here ever. Those people say it's not the heat, but the humidity, are largely right.

A co-worker just moved to Vegas... no state income tax at least.. maybe I'd like it, maybe I wouldn't. I'd have to give it a trail run. Only 4 months a year are really hot... Even vegas is behind the times with the bike trail thing though though they're working on it. Denver appears to have a nice bike trail system, but it's pricey to live there. Sioux Falls is one of few cities I've looked at that has a bike trail that loops back on itself though... largely a function of the path the Big Sioux River takes as it goes through the community.

So many possible choices, so little time. I can see why people like to travel. I'm reasonably content here though. Places I'd love to live.. a Cabin up in the UP of Michigan, a home near the lake on the western side of the state of Michigan, where they get lots of lake effect snow yet it's not as cold as it gets here. Some acreage out in the countryside in Eastern Colorado or Montana. A house in Brookings or Bend, Oregon (that would get pricy)... heck simply living in Brandon instead of Aurora would be nice, as Sioux Falls is plenty large for my needs.. but going 80-85 MPH I can make it from my door to Dunham Park or my favorite eating spots in under 50 minutes... combined with a good job, I think I'll hang around here.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-09-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,873 times
There is a good trail system in Summerlin. Vegas is balmy compared to Phoenix. The mountain scenery is one of the best things about LV, certainly not the bean counters determining how much you will lose before you get off the plane. Overall, the workforce is pathetic, but Nevada is way underrated for its beauty. I used to greatly prefer Reno over LV, but there are so many reports on its decline. I have been looking in some of the smaller cities..there is a !little bungalow in Battle Mountain for 17,000....and not only is there no state income tax, property taxes are lower than many places.

I call that a hybrid rant.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the info, Hal. On the one hand, Battle Mountain is pretty isolated, on the other hand it's not that far a drive to get to Salt Lake City or Sacramento.. maybe 4 hours? Given the choice though, I think I'd prefer Rapid City.. climate is similar though a hair colder, and all the amenities are right there, including the Black Hills. Plus, I'm fascinated by lake effect snow, and the Black Hills have mountain effect snow caused by air rising as it hits the hills and condensing. To live in Rapid and see that in the winter would be kind of neat. Both have somewhat high real estate prices for what you get, but it's like that most anywhere that's along the interstate. I don't mind the cold, I actually like it, if it's broken up by warm spells. Enter the Chinook winds of Rapid City.

Rant... the rain teased Aurora, Brookings, and Volga last night... rather than moving over us it sat just a few miles to the north and dumped a ton or rain onto White and Bruce while hardly giving most of Brookings and Aurora a drop. The drought will intensify except in a couple of small pockets that got dumped on. My rain gauge shows under 5/100 of an inch here in Aurora. No rain and high 80's to low 90's is forecast the next week. This is likely the longest stretch of warm, dry weather we've had since I've lived out here. At least it's not 20 below though Looks like the whole state is pretty warm with a persistent weather pattern in place.

host photos free

Last edited by sholomar; 07-12-2017 at 04:17 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 PM

rave... less than a month to the total solar eclipse. I'm planning a vacation around it. Here's an eclipse map of where I'll be driving, except I may drive to Beatrice saving myself 50-60 miles over Grand Island.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,506,354 times
rain! and the sump pump works, too!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
Carrier bearing went out on my pickup while playing in the hills on Saturday. Fortunately I made it home.

So, while I have the driveshaft off, I might as well replace the u joints. They're cheap. Two parts store later I still don't have the carrier bearing. I guess Ford has theee different shaft diameters.

At least I have the tools to get it done. My old man said something about me becoming a mechanic. It only took 40 years to get that point.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:04 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,617,927 times
I just want to RAVE about the fabulously cool August we're having! Just when I was about to either decamp back to northern Minnesota or melt into a sad puddle of grease and desperation due to the oppressive heat and humidity of eastern South Dakota this July, along come these beautiful (and unusual) August days with temperatures in the 70s and low 80s - and I'm happy again.

Thank you, God!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 AM

517 posts, read 1,053,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just want to RAVE about the fabulously cool August we're having! Just when I was about to either decamp back to northern Minnesota or melt into a sad puddle of grease and desperation due to the oppressive heat and humidity of eastern South Dakota this July, along come these beautiful (and unusual) August days with temperatures in the 70s and low 80s - and I'm happy again.

Thank you, God!
Same here, I was ready to bail. The Iowa state fair should be nice this
week.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,617,927 times
Now I want to RANT about barn swallows.

I hate the nasty things.

They build sloppy dirty drippy messy nests. Which they insist on building and re-building directly over frequently used doors.

And they dive bomb me whenever I walk the farm. I've taken to walking around with a snow shovel in hopes of whopping one or two.

I encourage all barn cats everywhere to murder all barn swallows! No "oh, poor birds" boo hoos from me!!!

Yech.

I declare WAR on barn swallows!!!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,506,354 times
Rant: supper. not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota