Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,144,881 times

Advertisements

Some of you know, some of you don't. I travel by team and wagon. Last year the wagon went from Ranchester Wyoming to Skagway Alaska. It was a long trip.

This year, we are looking at heading from Ranchester Wyoming to the Black Hills.

Our initial thoughts are. Ranchester to Ucross, Clairmont, Gillette, Moorecroft, Newcastle, Custer, and then work North.

Any suggestions? It's not like I need to see the Black Hills, I was raised there. 18 Miles West of Rapid City on 40. now it's 44.

But we'd like to see Custer state park, Needles, Rushmore, Crazy Horse. For towns/city's, Custer, Hill City, Rapid City, Nemo, Deadwood/Lead, Belle Forche.

We plan on a couple months to make this trip. When you run a team of Percherons pulling a sheep wagon, it's a slow trip (20-25 miles a day is good). Lots of camp grounds, lots of fires, lots of good folks to visit with.

We're looking for places to camp. I've only found 4 places in the Black Hills that are "Horse Friendly". There are a lot of places to camp and be able to stake the horses out so they can eat their fill. Just wondering where. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, if you want to ride along, bring your horse and join. If you can spare a week, a day or whatever. Drive out to where we are at and join up. Food is decent, whiskey and beer is good, campfires, tall tales and a good time are planned.

But the big thing is, we are looking for suggestions on routes, and camping places where water and grass are available. National and state campgrounds are not horse friendly. Although, most have grass close by, outside the campground, where the horses would be comfortable and have water.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,876,328 times
Even this one has me thinking. Riding through custer and working your way towards deadwood with the goal of being in deadwood for the days of 76 parade. Perhaps take some of the forest service roads that follow along the old High line railroad. Take you through silver city and rochford and on up.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,144,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Even this one has me thinking. Riding through custer and working your way towards deadwood with the goal of being in deadwood for the days of 76 parade. Perhaps take some of the forest service roads that follow along the old High line railroad. Take you through silver city and rochford and on up.
Rochford is a must. We have a hunting cabin about 4 miles West of Rochford and we will be stopping there.

We haven't picked a time frame yet and that may become important. Last year the wagon left here in April and then encountered a nasty snow storm. Ever driven a team of horses and couldn't see the road???? hahahaha That's bad.

The horses have encountered bears along the side of the highway. Right in the ditch. They didn't spook. So I'm thinking that the wildlife in Custer State Park are not going to be a problem.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:08 PM

That is good. I'd be mostly concerned about mountain lions.

I think it would be fun to follow the deadwood to Sidney trail as best as possible. There are some ruts from the trail on the ranch.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM

697 posts, read 1,283,512 times
how many teams you talking?? I have a horse friend who just bought an acreage i beleive over in the rochford area

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,114,727 times
Did you check out Ft. Meade in Sturgis? BLM has a horse camp there. It's $8 per site per night. If you know when you will be through, you can reserve the whole area for $48 per night. If you come through Belle, let me know! I would love to bring my daughter out to see you - she loves draft horses (and so do I!).

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM

i like drafts(of guiness) does that count?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM

My brother is into the horse and wagon bit. Dad was years ago. Oh gawd he had a team of mules. That was always a wreck waiting to happen.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM

948 posts, read 2,797,743 times
Try these peeps - even if they didn't work maybe they would be good at assisting you with options. Horse Camping - Black Hills Directory
High Prairie Lodge - Whitewood (Spearfish area), South Dakota - BBOnline.com / Introduction
Circle B Chuckwagon and Trail Rides
I would think searching "oufitters" would give you some more options as well - What your doing will be different than what traditional outfitters offer, but I bet some would be excited to accommodate your party and it's journey - maybe even join in for a few nights -

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM

Jean had some friends that went on a wagon train through the grasslands outthere 15-20 yr ago-- they had a team of mules -- all i can remember is the mules names, brenda and lee -- that was about the time when Brenda Lee of country music fame was hot

I wanna say they went in at about Interior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota