Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

HELP! My husband has recently suggested we move to South Dakota. He is a magnificent woodworker he has built many beautiful things from specialty furniture to cabinets. He has also done general construction jobs. We have been in Texas since 2007 and the job opportunities have been few for him. We do love mountians and snow and I have lived in Truckee, CA which is near Lake Tahoe and I loved living there. We have two children. I would like a family friendly town. Can anyone give me feedback on living in South Dakota? We are looking at the Sioux Falls/Black Hills area #1 Would my husband be able to find LOTS of work? Could I find a job as a massage therapist? (I have been ceritifed for 12 years) Thanks.

Last edited by brenleeheart; 04-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
You probably need to contact the South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy to see if your "certification" transfers. We have *3 therapists in my county (population less than 3000) and they have waiting lists, for appointments, and "call lists" for cancellations.
* 3 therapists, to my knowledge.....

Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 AM

268 posts, read 391,730 times
Nearly 100 views with one reply

Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
Nearly 100 views with one reply
With a good answer from the one reply.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,035 times
debey gave you a great response and as for your hubby having enough work, it all depends on the quality of work he does-- he will have to build his business up from the bottom just like everyone else has had to do-- we South Dakotans just don't give our business to just any Tom, Dick, or Harry-- prove that your product is good and things will fall in place if that is what the good lord means for you

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
Sioux Falls and the Black Hills are on opposite sides of the state and are very different in climate and culture. You may get more responses if you picked one or the other.

uh

Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM

uncle harley speaks the truth-- the people over in SF are more uppity and the folks in the hills are a laid back bunch and people in the middle of the state are a mixture except for me and I am classified as a butthead

Old 04-14-2011, 03:07 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
uncle harley speaks the truth-- the people over in SF are more uppity and the folks in the hills are a laid back bunch and people in the middle of the state are a mixture except for me and I am classified as a butthead
Just bein' yourself again, old man?

Truly, you need to be more specific in your questions...debey gave you some good advice, and uh is right about your husband's business. There are many great places to live in SD if you are willing to work hard and be flexible.

If you are more inclined to have every convenience at your beck and call, Rapid City and the Black Hills may not be for you. We don't have the "big city" variety, but we can get by well with what is here. For whatever we lack, that's what online shopping is for! The area is growing, but we don't ever hope to be a booming metropolis.

There are lots of outdoor things to do in all seasons, and a wide variety of family activities. Sometimes you have to do a bit of digging to find them, but they are here. Because the hills are a big tourist area, there is usually a lot going on year 'round, but the locals are not forgotton when we don't have big out of town crowds. There are family activities, rodeos and concerts during the winter months, so there is always something to do.

My now 10 year old daughter and I moved here nearly two years ago, and we love it! We were made for this place - we love to be outside, we love to explore new places and we love to make our own entertainment. It doesn't hurt to love snow, either - today is April 14, and we are due for up to 6 inches by tomorrow. It will all be gone by Saturday, in time for us to drive down to Rapid City for Cub Fest at Bear Country.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 AM

i am to old to change no8

Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
i am to old to change no8
And we hope you never do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota