Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM

202 posts, read 472,894 times

Advertisements

Anyone else go to Yankton College?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
Anyone else go to Yankton College?
I played football against you. Does that count?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM

202 posts, read 472,894 times
Only if you played agaist Lyle Alzado when he and I were at Yankton! And another friend Rich Mullen was on our team!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
Only if you played agaist Lyle Alzado when he and I were at Yankton! And another friend Rich Mullen was on our team!
Missed it by 2 years. I did play against Les Goodman's brother.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,075 times
I played at Yankton College from 1971-1974 and played with Les and Alan Goodman. Got to know Alzado when he came back and ran some spring stuff for us.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milldog2013 View Post
I played at Yankton College from 1971-1974 and played with Les and Alan Goodman. Got to know Alzado when he came back and ran some spring stuff for us.
You and I rolled around on the same dirt the fall of '72. I attended SFC (USF now) and transferred to USD after that year.

I believe Alan Goodman was a defensive lineman and I played defense also, so I didn't go head to head with him.

The legend of Alzado was still very fresh those days. Our senior offensive lineman played against him for a whole half when he was a sophomore. According to his recounting of the game, he was injured the second half. Alzado didn't care if he tackled the ballcarrier all that much. All he cared about was beating the crap out of the poor bastard that had to line up across from him.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Pro football mod weighing in here. For a long time (mid 1970's) I was a member of the Denver Bronco quarterback club and met Lyle a couple times at fan booster events sponsored by the club. On the field he was crazy mean but off the field, until steroids basically took over his life, he was as good a guy you would ever want to meet. He told me and several people that he had as rough a childhood as you could imagine, growing up in Brooklyn. At first he had no college scholarship offers except from New Mexico State, then with no explanation they rescinded their offer later. I remember Lyle remarking "they must have seen my police record." He was half joking and half serious.

He also had a lot of good things to say about Yankton college and the community as well. He said that he regretted not staying in contact and making more friends with people in the area "because of the way they embraced me as this opportunity to play ball was the only shot I was going to get."

IIRC, Lyle originally wanted physical education to be his major but changed it to special education and though he didn't graduate right away he did go back later and got his degree. Like Milldog2013 said earlier he would go up to the college and work with the players in spring practices as well. And in regards to his interest in special ed, he was voted the winner in the NFL Byron "Whizzer" White NFL "Man Of The Year" award for community service. He was very active in the Denver area (he was a Bronco from 1971 to 1978) in a number of charities from local fundraising efforts to the United Way.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-06-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 9,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You and I rolled around on the same dirt the fall of '72. I attended SFC (USF now) and transferred to USD after that year.

I believe Alan Goodman was a defensive lineman and I played defense also, so I didn't go head to head with him.

The legend of Alzado was still very fresh those days. Our senior offensive lineman played against him for a whole half when he was a sophomore. According to his recounting of the game, he was injured the second half. Alzado didn't care if he tackled the ballcarrier all that much. All he cared about was beating the crap out of the poor bastard that had to line up across from him.
You wouldn't have any old game film from that year would you?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milldog2013 View Post
You wouldn't have any old game film from that year would you?
I tried to find some over 25 years ago, and the college didn't have any. After all, all film from back then was old reel to reel. About that same time someone was actually marketing old films that were converted to VCR. The one game they had the year I played was the 1st game against Dana College (another defunct college like Yankton College) and I wasn't starting yet in that game so I passed on getting it. They DID have films from other years at SFC as well as other area colleges.

Four of the colleges we played against are now closed. Yankton College, Dana College, USD Springfield, and Westmar. In baseball we played Huron College and they're toast too.

I recently found out that my old head coach is now the AD at Gustavus Adolphus in Minnesota. I might just give him a call. Could get lucky.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
Les Goodman passed away Aug 2012...just found out. I was his roommate at Yankton College, Track teammate, High School teammate, Fraternity brother in HS and friend. Lyle was in next room and we shared bathroom with him...crazy guy. Lots of good memories. Many years ago, but fresh in my mind....hard to believe both are gone. May they rest in peace...a old friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota