Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Enjoy your stay Raindrops and have a safe trip and a Happy Thanksgiving.
To all on the forum: Happy Thansgiving and Be Safe!!
Danny, the same to you and everyone else! Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 01:34 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
blackhillsdreams-

I did mention Iron Mountain Road. I think a few other members did too.

Sorry Danny,

I meant that I didn't see anyone mention that you can see Mt. Rushmore through the tunnels and if you didn't know it and didn't look back, you might miss that...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:29 PM

66 posts, read 194,319 times
Hi All,
Thanks to ALL especially Jamie and DannyBanny, we had a " WONDERFUL TIME" here goes our T.R.

23rd - Inspite of our Thanks giving lunch party, driving to downtown to watch the lighting of the lights and later stoping to see an ice skating event, we left at 7:00hrs, we stoped on our way to see wall drug @ wall cool place ( People shouldn't be judging this place as a tourist trap, to us it was worth it and the prices wasn't absurd - Its understood its their bread and butter) anyways, stoped there for about an hour, later stoped by a scenic byway overlooking the Missouri River ( Beautiful) and finally reached Rapid City, checked in at Foothills Inn ( Highly Recomed this Hotel ) not very fancy, the staff were great, the breakfast was good and so was the location, we had dinner and hit the sack.

24th We headed to Mount Rushmore, since Cosmos was closed :-( we passed through Keystone ( cool little town, took some pics and did some shopping at 2-3 stores which were the only ones opened.... Iron Mount road was closed :-( and so was Needles Hwy :-(((((.....took some pics around ( very cool ) reached Mount Rushmore ,WOW, Amazing, spent a couple of hours out there, ( we saw a mountain goat too just below Washington) :-) later we headed towards Crazy Horse WOW ( that goes for the parking ticket price too $30 :-( we didn't spend much time, we headed towards Custer State Park....had lunch at Custer and headed into C.S.P....I personally loved this place.....I highly recommend people not to miss this.. we saw deers and lots of them too, saw some fowls (looked like Turkey though - they were pretty far, and in the 100's ) ran into a Bison which was licking the road hahaha probably someone droped something sweet, got pretty close to it though, the scenery was really breathtaking, we saw the full moon rise ( we just missed the sun set at the same time ) we did the wildlife loop, we headed back to the hotel after having dinner at R.City.

25th Went to Bear Country USA, really cool place, saw everything that was there to see, stoped by at Old McDonalds took a few pics outside ( even though they were closed ) went to the Christmas Village, shoped around ( neat little place ) picked up some stuff...had lunch....went back to Mt. Rushmore again, yes, again, mom didn't get to see it the 1st day since she didn't take too well to the 1st days journey....nothing changed, we still were very Impressed....this time we got to see M.R. with the lights on, Awesome sight.....it was very cold out though :-( .. We had probs. getting to the Mamoth site at Hot Springs and we were short on time and couldn't really make it in 15mins from Mt. R. so we headed to Putz and Glo, pretty cool place, had fun there, only ones though, they were good enough to stay back half hour after closing time for us....later gave up on the thought of Deadwood and decided to hit the sack after dinner...

26th
Had breakfast, and started our journey back home, stoped again, yes again at Wall Drugs, spent almost 2 hours there, shoped more and drove through the badlands, that was really awe-inspiring, another place I highly recommend it, we stoped by at Mitchels Corn Palace another neat little town and place....spent about an hour there...we left Rapid City by 9:20 am and reached Omaha at 10:30pm....

We thank each and everyone again for making this trip a truely memorable one...

PS : Thanks DannyB...for advising against staying at Keystone, nice town, but as you said we would have been the only ones there...

Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Wow, you saw some Dakota. You are one lucky person.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Raindrops, what a fabulous trip report. I was actually just thinking about you today and was looking for the report

I have to agree~Rushmore is one awesome sight, isn't it? We've been in the Hills many time and ALWAYS have to stop to see it.

It's also nice to hear that you liked the CP and Mitchell itself. In our quest to find a warmer city to live in, we've come to realize that Mitchell is a pretty clean and neat place compared to many.

Thank you for taking the time to share that with us. Now maybe~can we have some pics, too?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Wow! Great trip! Too bad Cosmos was closed, maybe you'll make it up some summer and get to see ALL that the Black Hills has to offer. Many places are unfortunately closed this time of year. Iron Mountain Road would have been an AWESOME drive for someone from the prairies. Foothills Inn is often where our family stays when they come to see us. I will be sure to reccommend it to future travelers because I hear they have Continental Breakfast and I can't think of what else you would really need!

I have to admit... I honestly have never been to Wall Drug!

I know. What kind of South Dakotan am I?!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Never been to Wall Drug?????? I would make that a priority. It's only an hour away. Then you can redeme yourself.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks guys,
Elkhunter, I really wouldn't have gotten to have seen most of these places without the help of you'll guys, thanks again.

Jamie, Mt. Rushmore is something that one can never get fed-up of, its one of the most amazing things we've ever seen, however, if I get a chance to stop by C.S.P would be another place I would definitly like to visit again ( summer would be sweet)

DannyBanny, It was some trip, besides the disappointing fact of Iron Mount road and Needles hwy being closed :-( I guess the others really made up of it and no regrets, however would keep that in mind the next time we stop by.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Never been to Wall Drug?????? I would make that a priority. It's only an hour away. Then you can redeme yourself.
Looks like I better make a special trip!

It's funny how raindrops says you can never get fed up with Mount Rushmore. Whenever family comes to town we have to play tourist and take them to Mount Rushmore. I don't even look up at it anymore!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Does anyone know anything about Camcords, I really would like to pick one up, but, just don't know anything about them, all I know is I want to take digital pics and I need some night vision features along with it, any help ? Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with SD though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota