Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 AM

83 posts, read 140,245 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I know similar questions like mine have been answered in the past, but each person's situation is different. My husband may have to relocate because of his job to work in Wright, Wy. I don't mean to be a snob, but I am not a fan of Wyoming. I love the Newcastle area, but hate the town. We would be moving from Steamboat Springs, Colorado, wayyyyyyy more snow than Custer. Since I am not a fan of Wyoming and my husband works so many days on, so many days off, we are considering buying a home in between Pringle and Custer. I would live there full-time and he would get a small house in Gillette to live in when he is working. Knowing that we are from the Rocky Mountains, would the commute be terrible with the snow and winds? We have some wind here, but not 50 plus. Are white outs a common occurrence? Are road closures something we will need to worry about frequently. Thanks for any input you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:29 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
White outs are not that common in the southern hills. While it's windy, that seems to be more of a wide open area occurrence.

Road closures are not terribly common. Poor road, yes.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,159 times
Yes, the commute would be terrible. At least for the next couple of years. Highway 16 from Newcastle to Custer is currently under major construction and is reduced in some places to a single gravel lane. That road was always a challenge in the winter, but now I would consider it impassable some of the time. The hwy dept will have to use tons of dynamite to widen and straighten the road east of Jewel Cave park. My preference would be to ride a mule cross country than to drive hwy 16 from Newcastle to Custer. I am glad you asked and am sorry for such a negative response, but your idea is currently very bad.

uh
Added by edit: Spearfish or Sundance would be much better choices and should work great.
uh

Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 AM

We drove 16 a couple weeks ago. The drive wouldn't be daily, but I am wondering if it will be passable in the winter. I guess that is something to look into. Living in the Rocky Mt.'s we deal with one lane hwys in the summer all the time, because of road work, so I didn't think much about it. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Yes, the commute would be terrible. At least for the next couple of years. Highway 16 from Newcastle to Custer is currently under major construction and is reduced in some places to a single gravel lane. That road was always a challenge in the winter, but now I would consider it impassable some of the time. The hwy dept will have to use tons of dynamite to widen and straighten the road east of Jewel Cave park. My preference would be to ride a mule cross country than to drive hwy 16 from Newcastle to Custer. I am glad you asked and am sorry for such a negative response, but your idea is currently very bad.

uh
The Hells canyon project is terrible now. It isn't a permanent deal. Before the project I'd roll through there with pickup and trailer. Now with construction and weather you are right. But the road is usually kept open in the winter. If it is closed it isn't for long n

If it were me I'd look at Buffalo or Sheridan. They are not the dump towns like Newcastle or Gillette.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Another possibility is to swing south to Edgemont or possibly Hot Springs. The drive would be longer, but much easier.

uh

Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 AM

We really want to stay in the trees, which was why we were leaning towards the Black Hills. Sigh.... thought we may have had it worked out. How long is the project supposed to last? 2 or 3 years?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycodmom View Post
We really want to stay in the trees, which was why we were leaning towards the Black Hills. Sigh.... thought we may have had it worked out. How long is the project supposed to last? 2 or 3 years?
It will feel like it.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 AM

41 posts, read 77,036 times
while checking out Newcastle and surrounding areas - you may want to drive north of Newcastle on Hwy 85 -- there are some beautiful areas up there

Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM

North of Newcastle towards Sundance would be my first choice if I understand everything correctly.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota