Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 06:29 PM

38 posts, read 59,546 times

Advertisements

ok i dont know if its just me or not. but, ive been looking at properties all over south dakota and one thing i hardly ever see is fences. does everyone just let there animals run loose or something? i even look at google maps street view to check out the neighborhood and again see no fences. nothing at all in the way of showing whos property ends where. i mean i know sd is alot safer and all but what does everyone do with keeping there animals penned up. id hate to buy a house and find out i cant put up a fence to keep my animals from roaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times
I notice that too, I will not buy a home without tall fencing up for my privacy on a smaller lot, but if I could only find one nice house with some acreage in rapid city somewhere for under 230k, that would be a small miracle in itself.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
That or the pastures are several hundred or thousand acres.

In a city there are usually ordinances the dictate fence height and fence materials etc. underground fences are popular for the canine population.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
Check with your local municipal government for fence requirements and regulations.

uh

Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
I tell my dog "get over here". Seems to work after a couple tries. Rare chance he gets beyond our place, doesn't last long. One of our old leashes allowed for him to roam nearly the whole backyard. A lot of people just use a small kennel in the daytime then take their dog everywhere otherwise.

And FYI - Google maps only shows the front in street view - I see lots of fences in the backyards of homes. And really they aren't that hard to put up as long as they are allowed (most covenants allow for 4-5 ft fencing in the back of home).

Its just easier to drink beer with the back neighbor if you don't have to walk all the way around the block too. Also if there was a fence my dog couldn't run up and get treats from them either, nor could the others come by and visit me as easily.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM

32 posts, read 61,424 times
A lot of folks don't have them because they cause snow problems....

Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
South Dakota does have a lot of open range. Remember. out west.that range laws apply. Fence cattle out and fence sheep in. What. that means is that you must protect from cattle. If my cattle are in your garden, you are required to build fence if you don't want them there. Sheep are more distructtive and I must fence my sheep in myself. These laws are still applicable from back when it was all open range and "sodbusters" were starting to farm. They had to fence cattle, out so they. wouldn't get into their crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: