Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM

15 posts, read 77,426 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks,

We've been checking out both SF and Rapid City, and are wondering whether the E. South Dakota side or the W. South Dakota side is more liberal or conservative than the other side.

SF looks interesting, but is close to Minnesota, which has sanctuary laws for illegal aliens. Also, it looks like that region has seen many American workers in the meat-packing industry displaced by illegals, thanks to the large corporations (I can remember when meat-packing was a good-paying, esteemed line of work that Americans were most certainly willing to do).

In short, which regions are less tolerant, and less willing to spend hard-earned American tax dollars on the bad effects of the illegal invasion (it is NOT immigration).

Which area is less liberal; less tolerant of the illegals giving us all the middle finger by their very presence?

Thanks, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I can't think of anywhere in South Dakota that illegal immagrants are a problem. There's just no pockets of problems.

Sure, you'll find them here and there, but no concentration.

As far as South Dakota being Right or Left, it's kind of a toss up. I would say that South Dakota is the most middle of the road state there is. Sure, you got your little farm towns that sway one way or the other. But I'll tell you, I lived there for 20 years and never knew what way my neighbor was. Never asked, it never came up. Didn't care.

You'll find that the people in South Dakota vote for the person they think can do the best job. Repub or Dem, doesn't matter.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I can't think of anywhere in South Dakota that illegal immagrants are a problem. There's just no pockets of problems.

Sure, you'll find them here and there, but no concentration.

As far as South Dakota being Right or Left, it's kind of a toss up. I would say that South Dakota is the most middle of the road state there is. Sure, you got your little farm towns that sway one way or the other. But I'll tell you, I lived there for 20 years and never knew what way my neighbor was. Never asked, it never came up. Didn't care.

You'll find that the people in South Dakota vote for the person they think can do the best job. Repub or Dem, doesn't matter.

ElkHunter,

Thanks for your reply and willingness to answer an honest question. I'm glad to hear what you said. Sounds like not everyone is worried (scared) about not being PC (politically correct).

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Emansfield, I guess we think the same way. Like Elk Hunter said, I don't know of any concentrations of illegals anywhere in our state, but I'll bet there are a few of them hiding out some place. Even though Sx. Falls is close to Mn., it's pretty South Dakotan yet.

I can tell you that several years ago there was a horrible accident in Hanson Co. A van load of illegals were being transported over to Mn. for work. Several of them were killed and the rest were injured quite badly. Hanson Co. nearly went bankrupt because the county was responsible for the funerals and the medical bills.

As far as East River vs. West River~right now the unemployment rate in several eastern towns is around 2%. West River has a much higher unemployment rate, but that will be changing in the very near future. As far as safety, it's probably the same. As far as beauty, I prefer the Black Hills area, but there are some very nice places over here, too.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Emansfield, I guess we think the same way. Like Elk Hunter said, I don't know of any concentrations of illegals anywhere in our state, but I'll bet there are a few of them hiding out some place. Even though Sx. Falls is close to Mn., it's pretty South Dakotan yet.

I can tell you that several years ago there was a horrible accident in Hanson Co. A van load of illegals were being transported over to Mn. for work. Several of them were killed and the rest were injured quite badly. Hanson Co. nearly went bankrupt because the county was responsible for the funerals and the medical bills.

As far as East River vs. West River~right now the unemployment rate in several eastern towns is around 2%. West River has a much higher unemployment rate, but that will be changing in the very near future. As far as safety, it's probably the same. As far as beauty, I prefer the Black Hills area, but there are some very nice places over here, too.

Thanks, Jammie; that's all good and helpful info. I should mention that my viewpoint is based on having lived in S. Arizona for nearly three years (went there for a job). I just hate seeing other states being taken advantage of and ruined, as Arizona has been, by illegals. Dakotans seem like sensible, balanced folks, so hopefully the state will never put its citizens in the personal and financial jeopardy that Arizonans find themselves in now. Perhaps citizens in other states will rise up too, before it's too late.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emansfield View Post
Thanks, Jammie; that's all good and helpful info. I should mention that my viewpoint is based on having lived in S. Arizona for nearly three years (went there for a job). I just hate seeing other states being taken advantage of and ruined, as Arizona has been, by illegals. Dakotans seem like sensible, balanced folks, so hopefully the state will never put its citizens in the personal and financial jeopardy that Arizonans find themselves in now. Perhaps citizens in other states will rise up too, before it's too late.
I think you're right. At this point, the Dakotas, Mont., Wyo. are fairly immuned to the problem. It never helps to call or write to your Governor or Congressman either like I do. Just in case they get the strange idea of wanting cheaper labor like some other states have. Actually, in a return message, the Gov. said that he was following the Oklahoma bill closely and if ever needed would consider a bill much the same as theirs. The problems you can run in to is the Federal Govt. stepping in and reversing laws like that.

Yes, I totally understand. A couple that we are friends with returned from your area a couple of years ago. They don't like the cold up here either, but basically wanted to get away from the same type of life that you're describing.

Oh, and I agree with Elk Hunter. We actually lean more to the Conservative side, but we have elected Democrats in the past. Tom Daschle was a long term Demo that we had in office until it was time for him to leave. Stephanie Herseth is also a Demo.

I really think you'd like it up here no matter which side of the state you end up on.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
The truth is South Dakota doesn't have many of the industries that require illegal immigrant work nor the population where you would find a surplus of illegal immigrants. South Dakota is too far north, doesn't pay as well as other states, and it doesn't have any cities large enough to accomodate illegals in. I am sure that Sioux Falls and Rapid City has some illegals, but nothing compared to Denver, Minneapolis, or Phoenix.

As for which side of the Missouri is better, both sides have their pros and cons. East River has more jobs, larger concentration of people, and easier access to other large cities. West River is more conservative, is much prettier, and has more recreation and activities to offer.

South Dakota is dubbed "The Land of Infinite Variety"!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Actually, in a return message, the Gov. said that he was following the Oklahoma bill closely and if ever needed would consider a bill much the same as theirs.

I presume you're speaking of Governor Rounds? Great job in contacting him; I appreciate his response. Hopefully, he'll take a more pre-emptive approach before too long. Places such as OK and AZ that are passing laws against illegals now, are doing so because they've been largely over-run by waiting too long to address the situation.

My guess is that SD's conservatism has saved it thus far, from being taken advantage of by illegals. If you offer free (taxpayer funded) handouts, they will come. Mexico's policy is to unload as much of its socio-economic problems on the US as possible. It appears to me that liberal-leaning places like Wisconsin and Illinois can't wait to have their taxpaying citizens bail out Mexico by absorbing as many illegals as possible. Just look at some of those states' ridiculous policies (e.g., sanctuary, in-state tuition, mortgage assistance, etc., ad nauseum).

I did notice a large meat-packing plant in SF a few years ago (John Morrell ?) There have been no issues with American workers there being replaced by low wage illegals there?

We visited RC last month for a long weekend, and didn't see too much evidence of illegals there (but we were there for just the weekend).

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
The truth is South Dakota doesn't have many of the industries that require illegal immigrant work nor the population where you would find a surplus of illegal immigrants. South Dakota is too far north, doesn't pay as well as other states, and it doesn't have any cities large enough to accomodate illegals in. I am sure that Sioux Falls and Rapid City has some illegals, but nothing compared to Denver, Minneapolis, or Phoenix.

As for which side of the Missouri is better, both sides have their pros and cons. East River has more jobs, larger concentration of people, and easier access to other large cities. West River is more conservative, is much prettier, and has more recreation and activities to offer.

South Dakota is dubbed "The Land of Infinite Variety"!
Any idea how the arts scenes compare between RC/BH and SF?
Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
As a Minnesotan, I will agree with the poster who stated the # of illegals is based soley on occupation available.
Thus --any--city (nearly anywhere) in the United States that has packing plants or poultry processing plants will have hispanics in porportion to the size of the plant.
This is even true in SE United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota