Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 20,682 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could tell me if the major oil boom in N. Dakota has had any effects on South Dakota. Job Market growth, population growth, etc. I'm debating on trying my luck with an oil field job in Williston, ND, or looking for a better, peaceful way of life but lower paying job in South Dakota. Have no oil field experience, just a degree and experience in Agriculture.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
The pay is lower in south dakota. Although our cost of living is more reasonable. I would give north dakota a chance. The main thing is passing a drug test.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,376 times
Many, many people are doing both. 7 days on in ND, living in a trailer or man-camp. Then 7 days off in SD which is what they call home. That way they can reap the pay benefits in ND while returning to a more relaxed atmosphere away from the "boom" economy. It is having positive effects on our economy and is helping SD weather the national downturn.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I wouldn't say it's affected South Dakota much. South Dakota has it's own strengths. Banking industry. Misc. Manufacturing.

The county I live in, which is the 5th least economically stressed county in the country,

20 Most Stressed, 20 Least Stressed Counties - CBS News

is getting even more jobs coming, a new cheese plant. Fairly nice news should spur even more growth and expansion in the area.

Brookings Register Brookings lands Bel cheese plant

It's still cold, flat, and boring though.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM

199 posts, read 421,231 times
I would opt for the commute to the Williston area if you can land a job. They tend to hire oil professionals and the community colleges are suppose to be developing programs that are suitable for the oil companies to pull from rather than bringing in career oil men from Texas and Oklahoma. Working several days straight and then long off periods seems a great bargain for those of us working 9-5s, or in some of our cases 12 hour days and long weekends without the long off periods as perks.

You'll find the pay much less in South Dakota but the cost of living very, very low. I would live in the Black Hills and commute the 4.5 - 5 hours to Williston if they offered the several-days-on/several-days-off option, renting an efficiency or motel in Williston during the week so long that I can book a room. May get tiring after a couple years but you could make and put away a lot of money.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
there are some people that are shocked by the hours that are required of them in the oil field though. Keep in mind that 80-120 hour weeks are the norm and there is no ceiling on the amount of hours you work, but there is a floor. You will be working a lot, and make a lot of money too. Not everyone wants those kind of hours though. I would try to get one week on, one off. I would not want three on, one off with those kind of hours but if you need the money know the hours are there.

You will make more per hour than a typical manufacturing job here in South Dakota though so it's worth it if you can land one week on, one off if you are one that wants less hours... unless you can find a job paying $15+ in South Dakota.. they do exist.

I would not rent anywhere in the area because what good is the money if you are paying that much in rent? I'd buy a place 5-6 hours drive away for the weeks off or find a place to rent that is under $800 per month. Billings, MT or Spearfish, SD are good choices. Increasing my rent which is $500 to $2000 would be more than 2 weeks take home pay for me (assuming I work no overtime)

Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Usually in North Dakota they run 12 hours shifts and you work 7 days on 7 days off. They are looking for all sorts of help. If you have a CDL with a tank endorsement and haz-mat you're golden.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

It's still cold, flat, and boring though.
Thats why the positive effects for your area are far less than what we see in the Black Hills. Most people don't realize the huge number of people retiring here on oil money, or enjoying our less cold, less flat, more entertaining area. When choosing to relocate/retire/commute from say Dickinson, I can't imagine one picking the Brookings or Aberdeen area, without a family connection.

The impact of the royalties and 70k plus peeps from ND living here accounted for over 50% of my housing sales last year.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM

193 posts, read 677,594 times
I had considered a job in Minot ND which has the same thing going on, oil, and I will tell you the housing is ridiculous! By the time I would have found housing (which was tight), paid the excess rent and whatever else costs more there (didn't check into the rest of it), I wouldn't have come much ahead, and I really didn't want to go any further north than where I am now, middle eastern SD (which as Stockwiz said, is flat.. boring at times, but a very nice place to live otherwise

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 20,682 times
Thanks everybody for the replies ! I forgot to mention something I probably should have, I actually have a house to live in Williston with relatives. I know that puts me above the curve, and that should pretty much make the decision for me. I could really put away some money, not having to pay $2,000 monthly rent. I just was always in love with South Dakota driving through it every year to visit relatives. And im not thrilled about the crime and everything else in Williston, but I guess thats price you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota