Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 24,010 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am looking for insight about these three states. Specifically, which of the three has more lakes/fishing and diverse scenery? Are the winters about the same in all three? Which of the three has the better main cities? The most jobs? My wife and I are almost done with college and we want to move to somewhere in the midwest. We enjoy the outdoors, hunting, fishing, and camping. We want somewhere with four seasons, nice people, and a safe area to live. Pictures would be great too if you have any. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Honestly, we are Kansas and if I were getting out of college and choosing among those 3 states, I would go to the one where at least one of us had a solid job offer. If job offers are coming in from all three, I would chose KS because everything you describe, we have yet the winters will not be nearly as harsh here and with the cost of heating a house, choose wisely because it really adds up. In my case, Anywhere Else applies to Kansas and I hope to be on the other side of the Mississippi ASAP, I'm done with this!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Honestly, we are Kansas and if I were getting out of college and choosing among those 3 states, I would go to the one where at least one of us had a solid job offer. If job offers are coming in from all three, I would chose KS because everything you describe, we have yet the winters will not be nearly as harsh here and with the cost of heating a house, choose wisely because it really adds up. In my case, Anywhere Else applies to Kansas and I hope to be on the other side of the Mississippi ASAP, I'm done with this!

Thank you for the info. I did wonder about your screen name. What are your experiences that have made you want to leave? What do you like about Kansas, if anything? Kansas was my first choice of the three, with SD being a close second.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRick View Post
Thank you for the info. I did wonder about your screen name. What are your experiences that have made you want to leave? What do you like about Kansas, if anything? Kansas was my first choice of the three, with SD being a close second.
North Dakota has the most jobs and lowest unemployment rate. If you want to avoid the oil patch research the cities of: Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks. Sioux Falls, SD and Johnson county, KS (suburb of Kansas City) would be other choices to consider.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
what about Nebraska? Omaha is nice.

Just going by what I see on google maps I'd pick eastern Kansas but expect hot summers and good storms. Winters will be much, much milder than North Dakota or eastern South Dakota. There's no comparison. Go south and it warms up. Go west and it warms up, due to chinook winds.

If you like the cold there's nothing wrong with Sioux Falls, and Rapid City is very nice as are the whole black hills and warmer due to chinook winds. Also more varied scenery in Rapid City.

Kansas City has a newly built and still being added onto schlitterbahn, one of the highest rated waterpark chains in the country.

http://schlitterbahn.com/subdomains/kc/new/

I'd avoid North Dakota unless you absolutely can't find work, along with eastern South Dakota north of about Dell Rapids, unless you like cold, than go for it.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-16-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
what about Nebraska? Omaha is nice.

Just going by what I see on google maps I'd pick eastern Kansas but expect hot summers and good storms. Winters will be much, much milder than North Dakota or eastern South Dakota. There's no comparison. Go south and it warms up. Go west and it warms up, due to chinook winds.

If you like the cold there's nothing wrong with Sioux Falls, and Rapid City is very nice as are the whole black hills and warmer due to chinook winds. Also more varied scenery in Rapid City.

Kansas City has a newly built and still being added onto schlitterbahn, one of the highest rated waterpark chains in the country.

http://schlitterbahn.com/subdomains/kc/new/

I'd avoid North Dakota unless you absolutely can't find work, along with eastern South Dakota north of about Dell Rapids, unless you like cold, than go for it.

I didn't even consider Omaha, thanks for bringing that up. How does Nebraska differ from Kansas geographically? I must admit, pheasant hunting is very high on my list, which is why I initially chose the three. I love the black hills pictures I have seen, but I read you have to drive hours east to find good pheasant hunting.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRick View Post
I didn't even consider Omaha, thanks for bringing that up. How does Nebraska differ from Kansas geographically? I must admit, pheasant hunting is very high on my list, which is why I initially chose the three. I love the black hills pictures I have seen, but I read you have to drive hours east to find good pheasant hunting.
I have lived in all three and would take the Black Hills of South Dakota before anyplace else. Having lived there for 15 years, I went pheasant hunting every year I could and allways had good luck pheasant hunting. Never got more than 50 miles from Rapid City so I'm not sure why people are saying that there are no pheasants. The pheasant hunting is better in Eastern South Dakota, but the hunting is still good in Western South Dakota.

You didn't mention what kind of degree you were graduating with. That would make a difference in all three of those states, depending on what you studied.

But I would still go to the Black Hills if my training could land me a job there. You have 4 distinct seasons and none of them are harsh. When I lived in Kansas it snowed one time. About an inch. My boss called me all in a panick saying, "Don't try to get to work, it's much too dangerous." I thought, "Huh???" North Dakota does get harsh in the winter. There is not a lot of forested hills either.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have lived in all three and would take the Black Hills of South Dakota before anyplace else. Having lived there for 15 years, I went pheasant hunting every year I could and allways had good luck pheasant hunting. Never got more than 50 miles from Rapid City so I'm not sure why people are saying that there are no pheasants. The pheasant hunting is better in Eastern South Dakota, but the hunting is still good in Western South Dakota.

You didn't mention what kind of degree you were graduating with. That would make a difference in all three of those states, depending on what you studied.

But I would still go to the Black Hills if my training could land me a job there. You have 4 distinct seasons and none of them are harsh. When I lived in Kansas it snowed one time. About an inch. My boss called me all in a panick saying, "Don't try to get to work, it's much too dangerous." I thought, "Huh???" North Dakota does get harsh in the winter. There is not a lot of forested hills either.
That sure is relieving to hear ElkHunter. Thank you for that information. I will be graduating with a degree in economics and my wife is a finance major.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM

412 posts, read 957,950 times
If memory serves, one of the neighbors near my property actually breeds and sells pheasants/pheasant eggs (we're on the plains about 25 miles east of Rapid City). He turns them a lot of them loose on his property and people pay to come hunt his fields. I'll have to ask about that.

North Dakota has better-paying jobs but harsher winters. Western South Dakota has nice scenery, nice people and a good 4-season climate. Kansas has milder winters than either of the aforementioned, but hotter summers and more severe weather. I can't speak for the job market or recreation opportunities there, though.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Nice to see all my neighboring states listed, but Nebraska skipped, LOL. I'll skip Nebraska due to your preference.

South Dakota is very impressive. From low crime rate, businesses and job opportunities, low cost of living, low taxes, a true four season climate, and is very laid back. Sioux falls is extraordinary in that it is growing faster than even most sun belt cities (Fargo is also). Rapid city on the otherhand isn't growing quite as explosive as Sioux falls, but it is within one of the nation's best natural land formations in and around mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota