Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

20 posts, read 81,189 times

Advertisements

What are the real differences besides SD not having state tax and more tornadoes?

I've been on both the SD and ND forums lately, and both states seem like they could be great places to live and raise a family.

There does not seem to be a lot of difference in landscape, etc.

What are the REAL differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
HMMM~North Dakota may have a bit more of a Norwegian presence. Landscape-wise, you're right. The eastern side of both states is fairly flat and was at one time prairie. The western side is more hilly although I prefer the Black Hills in So. Dak. to western No. Dak. (Just personal preference here~no flames, please.) It's definitely colder in No. Dak. then So. Dak. so you're right on that again.

I really don't know if there's that much difference in the two. The only thing I have learned is that when we split, we didn't split on good terms and the Prez had to secretly sign both of us into statehood and never let anyone know which one became a state first. Guess we both wanted to be first or more important or something.

I rarely post in the No. Dak. forum, but since I moderate it, I read on there every day. There are some members who have been here for a long time and seem like they're pretty nice people so it's obvious that both states have some friendly and welcoming residents.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM

284 posts, read 1,656,926 times
I'm sure you can find solid facts comparing the two, but I'll tell you my perceptions... I think ND feels more isolated - even East River - than SD. And after spending the weekend before Christmas in Fargo, I can tell you it is often quite a bit colder!

It also seems like ND has fewer trees and seems even flatter than SD, though this is probably just perception again.

Fargo does have a lot going on - just about every store and chain restaurant you can think of - and there's a lot of activity there.

One easy way to tell if someone's from ND? They call it "Nortdakota."

Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM

20 posts, read 81,189 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on the differences. I'd rather hear personal perceived differences than info written for some factoid. Personal perceptions, while biased, are often closer to the truth.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
HMMM~North Dakota may have a bit more of a Norwegian presence. Landscape-wise, you're right. The eastern side of both states is fairly flat and was at one time prairie. The western side is more hilly although I prefer the Black Hills in So. Dak. to western No. Dak. (Just personal preference here~no flames, please.) It's definitely colder in No. Dak. then So. Dak. so you're right on that again.

I really don't know if there's that much difference in the two. The only thing I have learned is that when we split, we didn't split on good terms and the Prez had to secretly sign both of us into statehood and never let anyone know which one became a state first. Guess we both wanted to be first or more important or something.

I rarely post in the No. Dak. forum, but since I moderate it, I read on there every day. There are some members who have been here for a long time and seem like they're pretty nice people so it's obvious that both states have some friendly and welcoming residents.
Not totally true. North Dakota is the 39th state and South Dakota 40th. Granted on the same day. The president didn't want to pick which one would be first, so had secretary shuffle the papers up and picked NoDak first...

Old 01-04-2008, 01:13 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskape View Post
What are the real differences besides SD not having state tax and more tornadoes?

I've been on both the SD and ND forums lately, and both states seem like they could be great places to live and raise a family.

Grew up in North Dakota and made a few trips to South Dakota. Other than the Black Hills of SoDak, not that much different scenicly speaking. We both share the Missouri river and have great fishing lakes. Northern North Dakota shares border with Manitoba and you will find nice rolling hills, TREES!, from Lake Metigoshe area all the way to eastern North Dakota. Pembina area is very nice and scenic as well. But, we both are ag states. Not sure about what South Dakota produces, but North Dakota is #1 in Durum Wheat and also has large crops in many other small grains. Yup! North Dakota is colder, and some people think that the cold keeps a lot of crime out of the state. Also, hard to get mad at someone when your frozen in your boots. Also, there is Roosevelt National Park in western NoDak that does have lots of similarites to South Dakota's badlands. If I were interested in moving to the Dakotas, I would visit both, because everyone will find different preferences in each.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Not totally true. North Dakota is the 39th state and South Dakota 40th. Granted on the same day. The president didn't want to pick which one would be first, so had secretary shuffle the papers up and picked NoDak first...
Interesting. Thank you for letting me know that. I learned two things new today.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
WEATHER!~COOLER IN summer
FREEZING in winter(very, very long winters, up there!)

Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM

116 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskape View Post

Personally I think SD is a lot more interesting to live in than ND. I just think ND's boring. Personal preference.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM

116 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

But the real question is: Why is there no East Virginia? That bothered me in the sixth grade. It ruins my sense of evenness. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota