Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times

Advertisements

What do you think about South Dakota's license plates with the white Mt. Rushmore with the blue background, dark blue number/letters, and the red South Dakota and Great Faces, Great Places? I find them a major improvement over the 2000-2005 plates that were mainly white with small Mt. Rushmore on the bottom, blue lettering, and a red banner with south dakota in white plain lettering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I like them WAY better than the ugly ones we had before! But sometimes it is hard to make out Mount Rushmore on the plate. We went to a family reunion in New Mexico once and my uncle commented that it looked like clouds. I guess it's an easy mistake to make.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I agree. They are a MAJOR improvement over our old ones, but with all the beauty in the state, I'm surprised that our license plates haven't always been nicer.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I think it would be pretty if on the bottom left side of the plates it featured the mountains covered in ponderosa trees, then further right was the Badlands, then the Missouri River in the center, the prairie, then finally Sioux Falls' skyline in silhouette.

That design would wrap up the entire geography of our state in a 1 foot spanse.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I think they should make all states, White with black lettering and no scenery. haha

When I was stationed in San Diego, California had something like 25 different license plates you could get. Depending on desing, depended on what you was willing to pay to get the really nice ones. Huh???? I thought that little slab of steel was a permit to use highways, not a fashion design?

Also, did you notice when South Dakota went to the 5 year plate, the cost didn't go down? Wait a minute. Your using the same piece of steel for 5 years and getting charged as if you got a new piece of steel every year. Where's that money going?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:34 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
If Janklow was governor again, we would get the boring plates again. It would not surprise me. Black and white plates are too plain. I think that the states should have colorful and creative places that are still functional and serve their purpose. But I think that (for each state) one plate should be used for the general public, whether it would be for the general public/randomly given plates, specialized plates (#1 DRIVER), or organization plates (Univeristy of South Dakota, Ducks Unlimited, University of Iowa, etc.). The only ones who should have different plates are commercial vehicles (semi trucks/commerical vehicles) and government vehicles.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM

205 posts, read 729,307 times
Can someone post a photo of the new plate? The present plate looks a lot like Idaho's at first glance, and I always get excited to see a South Dakota plate on the Oregon Coast, although a lot of them belong to full time RVers who have claimed South Dakota as their home state even though they don't live there. Anyway, we would like to know if the new plate will look well on our truck when we get really tired of the Pacific NorthWET and move to Rapid City!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
Can someone post a photo of the new plate? The present plate looks a lot like Idaho's at first glance, and I always get excited to see a South Dakota plate on the Oregon Coast, although a lot of them belong to full time RVers who have claimed South Dakota as their home state even though they don't live there. Anyway, we would like to know if the new plate will look well on our truck when we get really tired of the Pacific NorthWET and move to Rapid City!

License Plates of South Dakota (United States)

Prairie, I just know SD plates would look very nice on your vehicle.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 PM

205 posts, read 729,307 times
Jammie, Thanks for the great link! Yes, the new plate will look great! Can hardly wait!
And that rhymes with 2008...maybe this is the year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota