Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

Highway funding bill passes in Pierre - Black Hills Pioneer: Local News

State lawmakers passed sweeping legislation Friday that, if the governor agrees, would:
• Raise the motor-fuels tax by six cents per gallon on April 1, to 28 cents;
• Add 1 percent of excise tax on vehicle purchases, to 4 percent;
• Increase license plate fees by 20 percent on noncommercial vehicles starting in May;
• Allow counties and townships to impose additional property taxes for roads and bridges; and
• Let motorists go 80 rather than 75 mph on I-29 and I-90.

Looks like they have the voting power to get this through even if it's vetoed. I have no problem with any of this bill. We could use a bit more funding for roads and the increased speed limit I have always been in favor of on the interstates.

The increased gas tax puts us on par with other states and the vehicle excise tax is still lower than most states. Being that I hardly ever swap out vehicles for different ones that tax doesn't affect me much personally.

It does kind of feel like they tacked on the 80 MPH speed limit to make the tax increases more appealing than they otherwise would have been realizing that most non politicians would support the speed limit increase. Curious of other people's opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
It has been 16 years since there was an increase in fuel taxes. It is needed. I like nice roads. I like well maintained roads. This is the time. You can't kick this can down the road, otherwise you end up in a crisis.

80 MPH speed limits? No opinion one way or another. I have been on 90 in Wyoming with the 80 MPH speed limit, I took advanage of it. Between Rapid and Sturgis or even Spearfish 75 is fine.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Most vehicles today fair ok with 80 mph speeds but the lower geared or less powered rigs could be an issue with some folks doing 85 which we know they will, and others being mechanically limited to 65 or pulling trailers could create a bad recipe - also at night 80 is pushing it with all the wildlife crossings, and in the winter while folks should drive the conditions they may not be aware of intermittent patches which would be sketchy. Our sidewinds can really mess with safety on some vehicles too, so while some may cruise just fine at 80-85 in a high wind, passing a big tractor truck or RV's/big 5th wheels will too be more dangerous, with turbulence etc.

Faster speeds create more road wear, so some of the tax will get eaten up IMO so the more rural upgrades may still go overlooked while the increased wear on interstate systems is done first.

If our nation is trying to be more energy independent the increased fuel use of higher speeds isn't a step in the right direction either.

I won't sweat it if it goes thru, but I don't feel the risk/reward test passes for me.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
I believe we can get were we are going without an increased speed limit. The reasons listed above are valid imho. The tax increase is probably overdue.
uh

Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Well the bill passed. All these items including the 80 MPH speed limit go into effect April 1st. In essence not much changes. The average speed on I-29 during non rush hour is usually around 82 or 83, and during rush hour around 87 to 88 anyways.

Interestingly enough in Wisconsin on I-90 between Madison and Tomah, during rush hour interstate speeds can be similarly fast even though the speed limit there is still 65. This creates a greater speed differential, making things slightly more hazardous.. that combined with the fact that the interstates twist and turn more, with the karst topography and tree cover, and are also more congested.. that whole stretch of interstate should be 3 lanes wide but it's only 2... anyone who's never left South Dakota and driven on interstates in and near major cities ... well lets just say you could be driving 100 MPH down I-90 in South Dakota and have a far safer and less stressful driving experience than what many have to put up with every day. Heck it gets pretty congested in Sioux Falls during Rush hour and lunchtime. Brookings has it's perks... not having to deal with traffic is one of them.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
April 1st???????? Ahhh, they want to tax the tourists.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota