Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 30,806 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I'm beginning to do research trying to figure out where to move that will put me within half a days drive of the Mayo clinic in Rochester MN. I know nothing about South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin. I'm a Boomer, and my reasons for moving are mainly health based. I'd like to find a place where the cost of living doesn't cost me three arms and a leg. I'd also like to be where jobs are not difficult to find where I can have a short commute (within 20 miles or so) from home. I'd appreciate any help I can get in this endeavor.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
Since you are considering South Dakota, Sioux Falls area is where you want to focus. you might get more responses from the Sioux Falls forum.
uh

Old 07-25-2015, 02:20 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I just moved to South Dakota from the Rochester area of MN, so may be able to advise you.

Sioux Falls is an easy 4 hr. drive to Rochester. Others on this forum can tell you more about life in Sioux Falls; as I chose a community further away. Health care options in SF itself are said to be very good. It is also said to have a strong economy right now, so depending on what you do for a living you might have a better chance of finding work there than elsewhere.

In general, I have found that the cost of living is much lower in SD, with the exception of housing. Looking specifically at the cost of housing in Sioux Falls, you might want to think about the MN communities of Austin or Albert Lea instead. These towns have very affordable housing. However, they also have a more sluggish economy than Sioux Falls and I don't know how hard it would be to find a job in either town.

Since Rochester itself has a growing economy right now you might just want to see if you can find a job within commuting distance there. Look at the small towns to the west of Rochester for the lowest COL - if you go north, south or east your expenses will be higher. Looking east, LaCrosse Wisconsin is an easy commute to Rochester, and the cost of housing there is low, but other than that the COL is much much higher in Wisconsin. Looking south to Iowa, you would have to go a fair distance to easily find employment (depending on what you do) and the drive to Rochester would take much longer due to winding 2 lane roads.

Sioux Falls might be a very good choice for you; take a good look at the statistics and see what you think!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Thank you both very much for the information.

I'm a cancer survivor and going through chemotherapy does some strange things to you internally. I chose Mayo Clinic because they are highly rated. The hospitals in my local area are good but they're not centers of excellence like MD Anderson or the Mayo Clinic. I'll definitely check out the housing in Sioux Falls. By the way, how do you like Sioux Falls compared to Rochester MN?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:44 PM

As someone who chooses a rural life, I wouldn't choose either city myself, so can't advise you. And it REALLY depends on what you can do for a living.

I think you should take into account the weather in this region, though. Winter extremes can turn a 4 hour drive into an 8 hour or longer drive. If you really want to be near the Mayo, you should probably just live in or close to Rochester.

In case you haven't found these already, here are the SD and MN job sites:

Dakota Roots :: Dakota Roots

Also, if you are interested in a technical field and need education, in SD there are free scholarships available if you commit to working in SD after your training. I think this is very cool! Build Dakota Scholarship Program

https://www.minnesotaworks.net/

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Just wanted to add that MNSure, the state run health care exchange that is income adjusted (like Obamacare), has a Mayo option with Medica - it is for people who live in the following MN counties: Blue Earth, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona.

And there are satellite Mayo clinics in smaller communities, which can be a useful connection so that you don't have to run to Rochester all the time: Locations - Mayo Clinic Health System

(Sorry topic veered off state, South Dakota mod. To bring it back I'll say - Sioux Falls, SD is still a great community for the OP to consider!)

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Just wanted to add that MNSure, the state run health care exchange that is income adjusted (like Obamacare), has a Mayo option with Medica - it is for people who live in the following MN counties: Blue Earth, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona.

Not wanting to scare off the OP, that sounds just like the list of counties they recite every time there is a tornado watch!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the information on the satellite clinics. I'll have to take some time and visit these areas before I make my decision on where to settle. After surviving cancer nothing much really deters you, even the fear of death. Everyday you wake up is a good day no matter what happens. You just make the best of what comes next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota