Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 05:26 PM

24 posts, read 44,496 times

Advertisements

Where in South Dakota can a guy and his gal live in affordable rental housing, enjoy great fishing with close proximity (no boat), and have some amenities ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Check out in/around Spearfish. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...93_rect/11_zm/

Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdog View Post
Where in South Dakota can a guy and his gal live in affordable rental housing, enjoy great fishing with close proximity (no boat), and have some amenities ?
What type of fish and what kind of amenities are you looking for? Also what do you consider close? Most of SD is very rural with only a few towns with over 10K population.

East river has more diverse fishing and several small towns for way cheaper living. West river has the Black Hills area with very little else. The Black Hills are nice but housing will be much more expensive and the type of fishing is way more limited. East/West river is how us locals split the state in half when describing places using the Missouri river.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 PM

24 posts, read 44,496 times
Looking for more specifics as quality of fishing, availability of affordable rentals, etc. Thanks for your help. We like the walleye, panfish, and smallmouth.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:30 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Looking for more specifics as quality of fishing, availability of affordable rentals, etc. Thanks for your help. We like the walleye, panfish, and smallmouth.
I would look strongly into the Watertown area (just the name should get you excited). You'd be right in the middle of the better fishing for what you want to catch, PLUS you would have a viable community there with a population over 20,000. In my opinion it's one of the nicest communities in the state.

I'm confident that you'd find extremely affordable rental houses in the small communities surrounding Watertown. Enumerable fishing lakes within 30 miles of the town. I would start with Clark, a community that used to be a lot larger, but has been shrinking over the last 30 years. That alone tells me that there would be multiple houses there on the cheap to either buy or rent. Another town to consider moving to or close to would be Milbank. It's on the southern shore of Big Stone Lake, a very large lake in the NE part of the state.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:59 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
The quality of fishing is really good pretty much every place in eastern South Dakota. Pierre probably has the best with the Missouri river and the Grasslands being right there. The Grasslands is actually called The Fort Pierre National Grasslands and has a ton of man made ponds full of fish. I have a good friend that goes there just for the great bass fishing.

Cheap housing is available every place because of SD being such a rural area. The only real thing to consider is how far you want to travel for the amenities(hospital, large stores, entertainment, ECT.) Places with a population of 10K+ will have stores and a decent hospital and some entertainment. If you have no problem traveling up to 50 miles for those things the little towns around them have super cheap rent.

If you need all the amenities, Sioux Falls or a small town really close is your only option. The only place I would say to avoid is Huron. Rent has went up crazily in the last few years and people are leaving(moving away) like rats from a sinking ship.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
The quality of fishing is really good pretty much every place in eastern South Dakota. Pierre probably has the best with the Missouri river and the Grasslands being right there. The Grasslands is actually called The Fort Pierre National Grasslands and has a ton of man made ponds full of fish. I have a good friend that goes there just for the great bass fishing.

Cheap housing is available every place because of SD being such a rural area. The only real thing to consider is how far you want to travel for the amenities(hospital, large stores, entertainment, ECT.) Places with a population of 10K+ will have stores and a decent hospital and some entertainment. If you have no problem traveling up to 50 miles for those things the little towns around them have super cheap rent.

If you need all the amenities, Sioux Falls or a small town really close is your only option. The only place I would say to avoid is Huron. Rent has went up crazily in the last few years and people are leaving(moving away) like rats from a sinking ship.
Ditto this. A town turning into a trash heap.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:02 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,115 times
For the most affordable rent I would probably look into southeastern South Dakota. Tyndall,
Tabor, Avon, Springfield, Wagner area. You are within driving distance to the Missouri River for fishing in all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota