Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 08:40 AM

200 posts, read 157,545 times

Advertisements

I'm going to become a student at SD State in Brookings in January. Can someone please advise me of the best kind of coat and boots to get, and from where to buy online? I'm from South Carolina and I'm pretty sure that nothing we have here is going to suffice. I don't even know where to begin. Any help is appreciated.

cn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 11:54 AM

249 posts, read 242,279 times
Your gender might make a difference, however since I'm a guy I would bring up Cabelas or Duluth Trading for a Parka, Gloves and Boots. Good Luck to you.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Carhartt is the better brand, IMO. My duck heavy coat makes a difference. Good outerwear. Decent long sleeve tee shirts. If you’re going to be outside for any amount of time, I lightweight base layer makes a huge difference. Something light weight and breathable. Scheels, Cabela’s or Runnings will have a good selection.

Wools socks and pack boots for being out in the snow. If you can stay dry and keep clothing dry and breathable you will not chill down. I spend a lot of time outside, when dressed for it, it isn’t bad at all.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
Your gender might make a difference, however since I'm a guy I would bring up Cabelas or Duluth Trading for a Parka, Gloves and Boots. Good Luck to you.
I'm a woman. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up Cabelas and Duluth Trading. They probably have a women's outerwear line.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Carhartt is the better brand, IMO. My duck heavy coat makes a difference. Good outerwear. Decent long sleeve tee shirts. If you’re going to be outside for any amount of time, I lightweight base layer makes a huge difference. Something light weight and breathable. Scheels, Cabela’s or Runnings will have a good selection.

Wools socks and pack boots for being out in the snow. If you can stay dry and keep clothing dry and breathable you will not chill down. I spend a lot of time outside, when dressed for it, it isn’t bad at all.
Thanks for the advice. I'll look up Carhartt, Scheels, Cabela's and Runnings. Wool socks are going to be new for me, but I think I'm going to like them. My feet get cold so easily and fast. Um... what are "pack boots"? Are those like lined duck boots or Timberlands? I'm going to ask Google, LOL.

EDIT: Pack boots are exactly what I thought they were - lined duck boots (what we call duck boots down here, anyway). My cousin has a pair that she wears when we get cold rain. I like the way they look, too.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:54 PM

410 posts, read 157,808 times
You can also look at L.L. Bean. I just got a “Winter Warmer Jacket” and really like it. Although my (approximately) 10-year-old coat from Cabelas is still in decent shape.

As for boots, consider how much driving you will be doing. I have 2 kinds.

For light snow, you can get a pair of waterproof mid hiking boots (that cover your ankles). Mine are the “Coleman Delta Tan & Stone Mid Hiking Boots” (from FleetFarm) but many companies make them. They are good for about 3” of snow. If you have room in the boot, you can add a pair of wool felt insoles. (I found them on Amazon) It helps with warmth and cushioning.

I’m not familiar with the new styles of pac boots but, if they are lightweight and have flexibility at the ankle, you can probably drive in them. My Sorel boots, (that I got a long time ago) are very warm but they have a heavy sole, so I don’t feel comfortable driving in them. That’s why I have 2 kinds of boots.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Layering is the way to go. I have and use a ton of sweaters. Ask for nice wool or cotton or silk sweaters for Christmas (not artificial fiber.)

PS - It's really not all that cold here. Don't worry about it.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Damp cold that is most of East river is a special kind of cold.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliepearl View Post
You can also look at L.L. Bean. I just got a “Winter Warmer Jacket” and really like it. Although my (approximately) 10-year-old coat from Cabelas is still in decent shape.

As for boots, consider how much driving you will be doing. I have 2 kinds.

For light snow, you can get a pair of waterproof mid hiking boots (that cover your ankles). Mine are the “Coleman Delta Tan & Stone Mid Hiking Boots” (from FleetFarm) but many companies make them. They are good for about 3” of snow. If you have room in the boot, you can add a pair of wool felt insoles. (I found them on Amazon) It helps with warmth and cushioning.

I’m not familiar with the new styles of pac boots but, if they are lightweight and have flexibility at the ankle, you can probably drive in them. My Sorel boots, (that I got a long time ago) are very warm but they have a heavy sole, so I don’t feel comfortable driving in them. That’s why I have 2 kinds of boots.
I won't be driving. I wouldn't even know how to cope trying to drive in the amount of snow Brookings gets, LOL. The stores and styles that have been recommended are pricey for me, so I'll be getting knock-offs. I already decided I was going to invest in wool socks, but I didn't know about wool felt insoles. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Layering is the way to go. I have and use a ton of sweaters. Ask for nice wool or cotton or silk sweaters for Christmas (not artificial fiber.)

PS - It's really not all that cold here. Don't worry about it.
Yes! I'll definitely wear layers. I plan to visit the thrift stores and get sweaters, cardigans, and long sleeved t-shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Damp cold that is most of East river is a special kind of cold.
I hate damp cold. That's that cold that goes straight to your bones. That's mostly the kind of cold we get here where I'm from. Temps in the 30s are normal in my part of South Carolina during our coldest months, and combined with our year round humidity (less in winter, but still there - case in point, it's been raining for 2 days straight here with no let up) we can easily get that bone-chilling damp cold. We don't get much snow, but ice is a major problem here when it gets that cold and damp. That's life in Appalachia, though, LOL.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:45 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
The local Runnings store will have everything you need. Youll want a base wicking layer if you exercise outdoors under 30 degrees and Brookings rarely gets much above 32 degrees in the months of Dec, Jan, and Feb. Brookings is a special kind of cold that might shock you being from SC. It has more in common with Fairbanks AK than the rest of the continental US. I'm visiting relatives in eastern WI and our nighttime lows are going to be warmer than Brookings daytime highs during this week. It feels so nice haha. Below zero low temps and highs in the teens are the norm, and this "warm" spell where it hits 35-40 degrees for 2 hours in the afternoon (as good of jogging weather as you will get) is the exception. Its often 7-10 sometimes even 15 degrees warmer in Sioux falls due to our higher elevation in the "coteau Des prairies."

Brookings is not far west enough to benefit from Chinook winds like rapid city and not far east enough to benefit from low pressure driven warm fronts like eastern WI where i came from and too far north with the air cooling slightly as it rises up the coteau...its just cold...constantly. The whole I-29 corridor from around Dell Rapids SD to the Canadian border is just cold.... It never gets warm in the winter. The locals complain about it but I don't really think they realize just how cold they have it. Once the snow is on the ground here it doesnt really ever melt until march or april. The cold weather starts much earlier than most parts of the US and often lingers into late April or early May. Just going a little bit south, to around or just south of Sioux falls, makes a HUGE difference, or better yet, Des Moines IA or Omaha NE. Madison and Milwaukee Wi are also signficiantly warmer in winter. Rapid City is also much nicer with Chinook winds. The only people who will tell you its not that cold in Brookings are likely transplants from North Dakota as this area is the coldest part of the continental US besides going into North Dakota or Northern MN.

I was thinking about moving to Greenville SC (another 3M plant there) as its just too cold in Brookings for me to want to spend the rest of my life here. Still its a safe, affordable place to raise a family and the bike trail in Sioux falls is the one thing that's kept me sane here haha. Traffic is light, driving to sioux falls is relaxing rather than annoying as driving around higher population density areas tends to be, commute times to work are nonexistant, and no state income tax haha. Coming from south carolina the wide open space and straight roads and no trees will be an adjustment. I find it relaxing compared to having to navigate twisty hilly areas. The college is alright and life is all about attitude so any place is only as good as you make it...you should enjoy yourself with a positive attitude regardless I just wanted to lay the facts out as someone with an outsider perspective and a weather geek as well.

Good luck with schooling!

Last edited by sholomar; 12-24-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota