Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,671 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am curious as to the weather around the custer / hot springs area. Especially the winters. I am from wisconsin and we have pretty crappy winters, long and sometimes very cold. Do you have a lot of below zeros? I am looking to relocate there this spring or summer. I have been thru that area a few times but it was in the summer months. I fell in love with it and wanted to just stay there forever! Just trying to find out as much as possible about that area before I make any permanent decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 07:06 AM

249 posts, read 241,827 times
C'mon out! The weather is fine. Hot Springs is normally a little warmer in the winter than Rapid or Custer, but all of them are in a banana belt. A Banana belt is the leeward side of a mountain or mountain range such as the Black Hills. The tougher winter storms generally come out of the west, northwest, or north. The Black Hills will shove those storms towards the atmosphere and give shelter to the east side. Rapid, Hermosa, Custer, & Hot Springs all benefit from that phenomonen. Especially Hot Springs. I moved out her from Wisconsin about 10 yrs ago and love the climate. We can get and do get storms from the southwest, but they are normally not very cold. They can deliver decent amounts of snow, but not like Wisconsin.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM

45 posts, read 226,765 times
Default Custer

Custer is a beautiful area! We relocated here from WA state over 7 years ago and LOVE it, however winters here are TOUGH. We were told the same thing about the banana belt and I would say for sure Hot Springs fits into that but NOT Custer. We are typically 10-15 degrees cooler than Hot Springs all seasons.....we have many days in the winter below zero and wind chills even colder. Snow can arrive as early as October and last year we even had 12+ of snow on the last day of school?!?!? Granted that snow melted quickly but it was crazy telling family in other states that our girls last day of school had a 2 hour delay due to snow . The town itself is small and very touristy but beautiful scenery abounds if you love the outdoors! All of the tourist shops pretty much close up end of September and will reopen around mid-April. Lots of jobs available in the summer but full time work year round can be a challenge. Rapid City is about 45 minutes away and offers all the big name stores (Walmart, Target, Lowes, etc) for shopping. Overall we have loved living here, friendly people, conservative politics for the most part and a great community to be part of. Good luck in your decision!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota