Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,209 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am retiring in a few days and am looking to move to either Wyoming, Idaho, or South Dakota. I need cheap housing in a low crime area, and hopefully away from meth and opioid problems. Currently in Denver and I really almost hate it. Want a solid Conservative, gun-friendly area, $600 max rent for 2 bedroom, a little space for a one-person garden or small greenhouse & maybe a few hens, and if there was water nearby, even 'small water', that would be great. I'm a big fan of trees, too. I like snow and cold a lot. I have a hard time tolerating temps above 78 F for any extended period. I live a quiet life, and like the outdoors. I don't need much shopping and know I will probably have to drive 100 miles or more to an organic grocery store, which I would plan on doing once or so a month. I will be very grateful for any suggestions folks might have. Love this board. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 05:37 AM

249 posts, read 241,641 times
Try northern Idaho. S D would be too hot for you as would most of Wy.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:12 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
South Dakota is not the place for you.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
try ALaska,or Yukon.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
Interesting - surprised by this because a friend at work said it is usually cool in Deadwood.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meena65 View Post
Interesting - surprised by this because a friend at work said it is usually cool in Deadwood.
Deadwood is not a town to move in. Lead is fine if you like copious amounts of snow. Again, hardly a town to move in. You’ll travel to nearly everything needed. Healthcare, a Walmart, even a car dealership. Honestly, South Dakota has hit critical mass for moving here.

My patience with “outsiders” is waning. It might even be nil. I see what’s happened to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. Unfortunately, we are next.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:00 PM

249 posts, read 241,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meena65 View Post
If you have the money you might like Deadwood. I thought you wanted a place to live for $600 per month rather than per wk.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:12 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
It will be hard to find $600 per month rental for a 2 BR house with property for a garden and hens... and you need cool temps year round. Summers in western S.D. are still hot and well above 80F for June to Sept. Northern Idaho is expensive, and cool areas of Wyoming are expensive too. Not to be mean, but I suggest you get used to the heat. Good Luck

Old 05-05-2021, 05:27 AM

142 posts, read 308,311 times
Your budget will be tough in SD these days. Lots of people have moved to the state and housing is in very high demand now and costs are way up. You could maybe look in one of the less desirable areas of the state like the small towns around Huron (sorry Huron lol), but eastern SD has hot summers and it's also humid which makes the heat much worse. And also there are few trees except the ones planted by farmers and the few found along rivers and lakes. The Black Hills is really the only part of the entire state of South Dakota that has any kind of forest.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:40 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
North Idaho will see a few days in triple digits every year. Not many, but it happens. Mid to high 80's and low 90's are the normal for a North Idaho summer. Cost of housing is getting crazy too. The only thing you'll find for $600 per month is a single bedroom, maybe with kitchen privileges, in someone's house. The southern part of the state has even hotter temperatures, and lack of affordable housing.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota