Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 09:15 AM

37 posts, read 38,721 times

Advertisements

I've decided on Midwest as opposed to the south but still undecided with SD now the top runner...but where in SD? I'm thinking SE.

55+ single healthcare professional (need compact state, presently in Pa) loves culture, long drives and natural wonders who will rent in medium size town with some conveniences, that doesn't have severe weather. I can tolerate snow and ice, just not my thing, I'd rather swim than ski.
Rather conservative, keen on low spending.
I'm not sure what else without completely sounding like a dating ad. Lol
I've made lists, compared, crossed off. I would love to come to your state and be welcomed, find some gal pals. Help, my brains tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 11:45 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Severe weather can be several months a year. Hail, blizzards, tornadoes, below zero weather for a week or two at a time, excessive heat for a week or two at a time, high winds, and sever thunder storms to name a few.

Spring and fall can have a few weeks of great weather though.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:01 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Anywhere in the north can get severely cold, and tornadoes are frequent in the plains. If you can be more specific we can probably be more helpful. Otherwise, I would say Santa Fe / Albuquerque are candidates.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:43 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
The I-90 corridor towns around Rapid City are probably milder weather-wise than the far eastern areas of South Dakota. Snow comes and goes in the Rapid area, and usually only lasts a few days on the streets, as the warm chinook winds come back and warm the temp up to highs in the 40s or 50s, after a few days below freezing to below zero. The cycle repeats fairly regularly throughout the winter. Not much of a tornado or hail risk in the Black Hills. They can happen, but it's pretty rare, and the hail tends to be pea sized most often. It does get hot for extended periods in the summer, but the humidity is much lower on the west side of the state, and the lack of humidity allows for better cooling at night.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:41 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Lemme see here you were asking the same about SC and now IN when you were in NC, but now you live in PA. When you finally decide on a state, maybe then we can help you. The shotgun approach doesn't work that well.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Lemme see here you were asking the same about SC and now IN when you were in NC, but now you live in PA. When you finally decide on a state, maybe then we can help you. The shotgun approach doesn't work that well.
One Dawgs you don't know me. That was 2 years ago. Life happens. Things change. People evolve. If you don't like my post move on. Yes still undecided....about Midwest. If you have nothing to contribute, fine.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:12 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
South Dakota is not the place for you. The summers are hot and humid. The winters are cold and harsh. It is an unwelcoming environment.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Sioux Falls might work, unless you consider it too small and not interesting enough.

Would you consider a suburb of Kansas City? Lincoln NE? OKC?

Old 09-17-2021, 11:20 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLifeNC View Post
I've decided on Midwest as opposed to the south but still undecided with SD now the top runner...but where in SD? I'm thinking SE.

55+ single healthcare professional (need compact state, presently in Pa) loves culture, long drives and natural wonders who will rent in medium size town with some conveniences, that doesn't have severe weather. I can tolerate snow and ice, just not my thing, I'd rather swim than ski.
Rather conservative, keen on low spending.
I'm not sure what else without completely sounding like a dating ad. Lol
I've made lists, compared, crossed off. I would love to come to your state and be welcomed, find some gal pals. Help, my brains tired.
Why are you thinking SE South Dakota? Are you trying to stay close to family back east? Do you like hot muggy summers, hate the low humidity and dry air? Do you like the flat plains with rolling hills, and don't like forested mountains?

You did mention you don't like snow and ice, and swimming instead of skiing. Indoor swimming is available in most any moderate sized town. Outdoor swimming... not so much in the mountains, or at the base, if the rivers and lakes are runoff based. The water stays pretty cold in most. Great for a summer dip, but maybe not for fitness swimming.

Anyway, I haven't spent much time in eastern SD, so I'm certainly not an expert in the area, just passed through and read these forums and other sources. I am pretty familiar with the Rapid City area. Without knowing your reasons for SE SD, I'd suggest living along the I-90 corridor in Western SD over the eastern side of the state, but just my opinion.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 PM

Well I HAVE decided......and its not SD. I will visit though. Thanks for the input ....even Dawg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota