Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2021, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 12,231 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can tell me more about central SD. Specifically Highmore (in Hyde County) and Miller (Hand County).

These are predominantly farming/ranching communities. How is the local economy in the area? Many job opportunities? Are these towns losing population?

Miller is relatively close to Huron. Highmore, being further west, looks closer to Pierre. For a larger town Pierre seems to have more to offer than Huron.

I can't find much information out there for this area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 12:58 PM

142 posts, read 308,425 times
Highmore has about 700 people and Miller around 1300 so you can imagine there probably aren't too many great job opportunities there.

Nothing against either town as I'm sure both are filled with nice hard-working folks, but they seem like odd choices to me to just up and relocate to.

Haven't lived either place but my personal opinion is that Pierre is nicer than Huron, mainly because of the Missouri River and Capitol complex. I know people in both cities and they seem to be okay with where they are. I would not want to commute to Pierre or Huron from Highmore or Miller in winter but that's just me and I'm sure people do it.

Huron has a sizeable immigrant population and Pierre has a sizeable Native population and I think the cities get bad raps because of that. Central South Dakota is fairly isolated geographically so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

Last edited by CoteauKid; 09-29-2021 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-30-2021, 06:55 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
Highmore has about 700 people and Miller around 1300 so you can imagine there probably aren't too many great job opportunities there.

Nothing against either town as I'm sure both are filled with nice hard-working folks, but they seem like odd choices to me to just up and relocate to.

Haven't lived either place but my personal opinion is that Pierre is nicer than Huron, mainly because of the Missouri River and Capitol complex. I know people in both cities and they seem to be okay with where they are. I would not want to commute to Pierre or Huron from Highmore or Miller in winter but that's just me and I'm sure people do it.

Huron has a sizeable immigrant population and Pierre has a sizeable Native population and I think the cities get bad raps because of that. Central South Dakota is fairly isolated geographically so you may want to take that into consideration as well.
I have only drove through it many time but I can't imagine much if any job market in Highmore.

I have worked(small construction jobs never lived there) and Miller seems like a very nice little town. I don't know how the population has changed over the years but google should be able to tell you that. They do seem to have made improvements over the years. Because of the larger size a job should be easier.

As for Pierre and Huron. I would avoid Huron as it has been going down hill for many years. All I know about Pierre is it gets hot and humid during the summer.

Last edited by sam812; 09-30-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,771 times
Miller/Highmore are decent for small towns but I could never live in that part of the state. Unless you're moving there to be a ranch hand or work at a gas station there are really no jobs. Same goes for Kennebec, Reliance ,Onida, and Murdo. You can't get to a larger city without driving 3 hours.

Sure the people are good, but that area is very isolated from the rest of the state. Sioux falls/I-29 strip and Rapid City are both several hours away. No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota