Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 09:59 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

So, why is our part-time governor having funds raised for her in FLORIDA?

I thought she said her back was too bad for her to travel around our state for her gubernatorial campaign here in South Dakota? Yet she's going to a fundraiser being thrown for her by some rich people in Palm Beach, Florida on October 14th.

The cost to attend: Only $25,000 to have dinner with the hosts, or $10,000 per couple just to attend. Let's all go!

Source: https://www.keloland.com/keloland-co...em-fundraiser/

And, what exactly is she raising money for???

We all know it's for her future Vice Presidential campaign and nothing at all to do with actually governing South Dakota.

Why you republicans vote for this power hungry career politician is beyond me. Guess her pandering to the extremists pays off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 11:07 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Because the democrats come off as insane? Especially the ones in the Sioux Falls and Rapid City subreddits. I look at their policies nationwide and it's hard to stomach voting blue. I can understand why republicans and moderates would want to hold their nose and vote for Noem.

I actually did vote for Jamie Smith, but only because i was so annoyed with Noem I left it up to a coin toss, and he won both tosses. I voted republican and independent on the rest of the ticket, and voted yes on 27 and D.

Lots of Smith Signs in Brookings. Will be interested to see who wins. I don't particularly care either way. I like gridlock, so having a democrat governor and republican legislature would not bother me. At least I wouldn't have to worry about Smith trying to nullify 27 using the legislature, or make promises about cutting food taxes he can't keep. Smith as governor would ensure marijuana gets legal and gets established during his 4 year term so the right can't nullify it.

It's not difficult to see that Noem enjoys the DC lifestyle, and is playing the role of career politician, more concerned with her career aspirations. However, not all of her policy decisions were bad. I happen to agree with her in Covid policy, and believe the lockdowns did more harm than good. She also got some decent ebike regulations passed that let me ride around on my class 3 with no legal hassles.

https://www.fallsareabicyclists.org/...ew-e-bike-law/

She's not perfect, but I agreed with 2/3 of her policies. Her suing over Amendment A is what really did her in. We'd already have dispensaries right now and the state would be raking in cash had she not done that. Medicaid expansion? I also support that, so whatever, Noem. I voted down Amendment C this spring also. I happen to also support first trimester abortion, so the supreme court decision means the state has work to do drafting up an initiative to re-legalize that... no biggie. Maybe we can get that done in the 2023 legislative session if Smith happens to get elected. As you can see, I'm very much a moderate.

Early voting started in late September in South Dakota, so go and vote, people, whatever votes you plan to cast.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-14-2022 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 12:11 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
OMG is she flooding the waves with her commercials. Luckily there are the only political ones I have seen but they are easily two to three times as many commercials as all others combined. The last few days they have been playing 3 of her ads in a row for almost every commercial break.

If I voted I would vote against her just for that.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:06 AM

She'll bombard us with advertisements paid for by out-of-state donors, but she was too cowardly to participate in a televised debate in South Dakota. So narcissistic of her to believe that she doesn't need to participate in the political process in our own state. We all know that's because, just like her lord and master, she believes "they say I could shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters."

That's ok, it was good to learn more about Dem Jamie Smith and Libertarian Tracey Quint.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:50 PM

32 posts, read 24,640 times
Speaking of Narcissists, I simply cannot wait until I return to South Dakota for good next summer,
thereby trading Gavin Newsome in for Kristi Noem

Old 11-06-2022, 08:50 AM

What does California have to do with South Dakota? Nothing at all. What do people who live in California know about the South Dakota governorship? Nothing at all.

People I know who have lived in Rapid since the 80's take bets among themselves about how long the Californians who've moved here in the past few years will stay. The best bet: only a few years until they hightail it someplace else. Even those who live off the federal trough (like government subsidized senior housing) won't last.

Old 11-06-2022, 11:44 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
She'll bombard us with advertisements paid for by out-of-state donors, but she was too cowardly to participate in a televised debate in South Dakota. So narcissistic of her to believe that she doesn't need to participate in the political process in our own state. We all know that's because, just like her lord and master, she believes "they say I could shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters."

That's ok, it was good to learn more about Dem Jamie Smith and Libertarian Tracey Quint.
I know nothing about politics and do not want to learn. What I find hilarious is her ads make her look like a spoiled 3rd grader calling someone names. This is the order they play the 3 ads they do the most on the channels I watch. First is the one acting like a little kid calling someone names, then the one saying how she is a great person and cares about South Dakotans, God, and her family, then you have the friend attacking her opponent before saying how her friend is a great person.

Can't wait till we elect the least worthless candidate and the ads are over. It is sad that we are and have been at the point of voting in the least worthless candidate instead of voting in the best.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:02 PM

32 posts, read 24,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
What does California have to do with South Dakota? Nothing at all. What do people who live in California know about the South Dakota governorship? Nothing at all.

People I know who have lived in Rapid since the 80's take bets among themselves about how long the Californians who've moved here in the past few years will stay. The best bet: only a few years until they hightail it someplace else. Even those who live off the federal trough (like government subsidized senior housing) won't last.
I wouldn't put too much on that bet, if I were you, seeing as I grew up in S.D. and spent most of my life there. I guess I don't fit your stereotype, you'll have to find a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota