Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM

56 posts, read 151,103 times

Advertisements

Since we've talked about a few of the ballot measures on this forum, I thought I would introduce the conversation on Initiated Measure 9 -- the "South Dakota Small Investors Protection Act."

I'm writing an article about this for the RC Journal. Its a complex issue, especially because few South Dakotans deal with short selling in the stock market, or know the difference between short selling, naked short selling or abusive short selling.

I don't want to take a position on the measure -- I'm a reporter covering this, after all -- But I would be interested in your opinions.

Here's some research, if you don't know about I.M. 9:

1) Ballotopedia article about it, which includes the attorney general's description of I.M. 9.
2) New reports about it from KELO TV, the Associated Press (http://www.fool.com/news/associated-press/2007/11/28/sd-targets-illegal-short-selling.aspx - broken link) and Financial Planning (excellent impact piece).
3) Bob Mercer's solidly-reported, in-depth work (.PDF) on the groups pushing the measure and where they get their money -- see pages 9-17.
4) Investopedia piece detailing short selling, naked short selling and abusive naked short selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Oh gosh, this is WAY over my head.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
Jeremy, I wish I could help with an opinion... But as Jammie said, this is new stuff to me. I'd have to research it more, and read deeper into it before I form an opinion. Good luck with the article though!!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,670 times
I need to understand this better. How in the heck are we to control short selling as a state for stocks that trade on Wallstreet? Is this going to mean that only people in south dakota, with their online broker (E*Trade, Scottrade, Ameritrade) it will be illegal for them to short sell but the rest of the country can do it? There's no way to control or enforce this unless you're a south dakotan dealing directly with a south dakotan company and broker?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efortysix View Post
I need to understand this better. How in the heck are we to control short selling as a state for stocks that trade on Wallstreet? Is this going to mean that only people in south dakota, with their online broker (E*Trade, Scottrade, Ameritrade) it will be illegal for them to short sell but the rest of the country can do it? There's no way to control or enforce this unless you're a south dakotan dealing directly with a south dakotan company and broker?
If any of the national firms are registered in South Dakota, they would be covered by this law as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,836 times
The thing that makes me go hmmmmm on a lot of these is this:

If you go to the sample ballot on line and read the Attorney General Explanation: most of the proposed issues state:

"If adopted measure 9 will likely be challenged in court and may be declared to be preempted by federal law and US Constitution"....

Many others also add in "If so the state may be required to pay attorney fees and costs"

For example IM 10 and IM 11 - why would we try to pass something that will cost us more in legal battles and that would more then likely be over-ruled by the constitution anyway? I just don't get it.... seems like throwing away money to me...

Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 PM

The opponents of IM9 say that's a big part of the issue -- it will likely go to court and the state will have to defend it.

The supporters say that's a red herring and the state attorney general doesn't have to defend the law unless he wants to.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,651 times
I am very confused by the whole matter, I will need some time to ponder through the emersable flow of information. I will be sure to share what I have concluded from my recent research in my next reply. Until then keep studying you brilliant scholars, remember you will always be number 1 in my book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota