Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,070,107 times

Advertisements

I was expecting to see at least one or two posts celebrating Obama's win here? I had (have) problems with either candidate, and I made my choice which has no bearing on anything so I won't go into that.

One of the things I don't like about Obama is the fact that it seems like every rogue nation that openly HATES The United States, seems to LOVE Obama. I really can't say whether or not that is bad, but I don't feel good about it.

1. Chavez wants to meet with him and was glad he won. Chavez is a criminal who froze, then seized the assets of his people.
2. Castro likes him and thinks Obama will be lienient on Cuba and Policy towards Cuba.
3. All comments coming from the Middle East are pro Obama, including terrorist regimes.
4. France.... they like him, hate us. Yet if Germany invaded them tomorrow, the first call for help would go to the White House for defense.
5. Lindsay Lohan... I don't have one nice thing to say so I won't say anything...

I can't say if this will be good or bad in the long run, but it concerns me that SO MANY people that utterly despise the U.S. like the fact that Obama won. This is not a shot at Obama the person, or later Obama the President. I'm just wondering where this is all going...

Here's the thing, I know a lot of the world openly HATES The United States, I wish they didn't. They also have at least a little fear of attacking or pushing us too far. My concern is they will STILL HATE us but now have no fear of us...

Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM

93,521 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
I was expecting to see at least one or two posts celebrating Obama's win here? I had (have) problems with either candidate, and I made my choice which has no bearing on anything so I won't go into that.

One of the things I don't like about Obama is the fact that it seems like every rogue nation that openly HATES The United States, seems to LOVE Obama. I really can't say whether or not that is bad, but I don't feel good about it.

1. Chavez wants to meet with him and was glad he won. Chavez is a criminal who froze, then seized the assets of his people.
2. Castro likes him and thinks Obama will be lienient on Cuba and Policy towards Cuba.
3. All comments coming from the Middle East are pro Obama, including terrorist regimes.
4. France.... they like him, hate us. Yet if Germany invaded them tomorrow, the first call for help would go to the White House for defense.
5. Lindsay Lohan... I don't have one nice thing to say so I won't say anything...

I can't say if this will be good or bad in the long run, but it concerns me that SO MANY people that utterly despise the U.S. like the fact that Obama won. This is not a shot at Obama the person, or later Obama the President. I'm just wondering where this is all going...

Here's the thing, I know a lot of the world openly HATES The United States, I wish they didn't. They also have at least a little fear of attacking or pushing us too far. My concern is they will STILL HATE us but now have no fear of us...
people to look at the source of the "hate" towards the US, instead of putting it all on them. With that said, maybe people need to look at it in a way to flip that "hate" upside down along with this change.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,723,288 times
I don't think other countries HATE the United States as much as they HATE our current administration. If you remember, France liked us when Clinton was in office. The only reason other nations like Obama so much is because he is more left than right and he opposes the war. The Bush administration has painted us as war-loving mongrels in the eyes of foreign nations.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,928,301 times
I agree with Danny Banany and think that some of the disgust and anger towards us is due to the Bush Administration making strategic blunders and having the "my way or the highway" attitude that ticks off most of the world and adds fuel to the fire for our adversaries. We need to build freindships, not enemies. Yes, there are some crazy nuts who hate us and always will but most of the world have a level of respect for us but have been disgusted in recent years.

I think that Obama will give a good effort to rebuild bridges and cast a better image of our country, which will help take some of the wind off of the sails of our adversaries.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:14 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,814,700 times
Bush 1 and Regan had a decent foriegn policy. Clinton's first term he was not well liked, Madeline Albright came in and kinda made a change.

Blackhillsdreams you have made some really good points. I am nervous about the upcoming changes. I will keep an open mind about it all.

Just glad that Bush is outbound.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Danny, rather than answer my question, you simply blamed and attacked Bush. I expected that.

Fair enough. I'm glad Bush is outbound too. However, go back to 911, that hate had nothing to do with the Bush administration, he wasn't in office for very long at that point and hadn't dropped the first bomb anywhere until AFTER that. Saying that all of the negative publicity directed at the US is purely because of Bush is simply foolish. Saying that all of the hate is directed at Bush (or the administration, or whatever since he's been in office) disrespects all of the people that died in 911... I'm not saying what Bush did since is right, wrong or otherwise. Face it, he HAD to do something in retaliation to that attack.

Taking Bush out of the equation, Chavez giving Obama a glowing review is sickening to me. To Me, If in the middle of WWII, there was a change of President, and Hitler had given the new guy a glowing review, well...

You sound like you are saying "every problem we have and are facing are completely Bush's fault and Obama is going to fix all of it". Good luck with that...

Not to mention, the economy really nose dived since the Democrats took over congress...

If you think Bush is personally to blame for everything wrong with the U.S., you are giving him far too much credit. If you think Obama can single handedly fix everything, you are doing the same...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
We need to build freindships, not enemies. Yes, there are some crazy nuts who hate us and always will but most of the world have a level of respect for us but have been disgusted in recent years.
Clinton NEVER retaliated to one of nearly a dozen attacks and never pushed too hard on any foreign country. 911 happened shortly after he was out of office. What if Bush had never struck back? Would New York be a big hole in the ground now? Maybe so, maybe not. If you don't think there are enemies out there that hate us and want to kill us no matter who is in office and what our foreign policy is, keep blaming Bush. When someone blows up something else over here sometime after Obama is on office, you'll still blame Bush...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,723,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
Danny, rather than answer my question, you simply blamed and attacked Bush. I expected that.
What was your question? I looked back on your post and you did not ask a single question.

Also, you cannot blame the democratic Congress for the economic fall. Every law that they have tried to pass has been vetoed by Bush and every law that republicans have tried to push has been haltered by the democrats. It's deadlocked. The economic fall can only be blamed on overspending by the American public and credit companies that had too lax of qualifications.

To be perfectly honest, I did not care how the Presidency went one way or the other. I voted for Obama only because I knew he would definitey beat McCain. One thing that I am happy about is that now we have one party in control of Congress and one party in the President's desk. Now maybe we can get tha ball rolling instead of being at a standstill like we were for the past four years.

And if you remember, Congress didn't get much passed when the republicans were in control and had the Presidency...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,814,700 times
Right after September 11th Bush impressed me. Going into Iraq? I think that could have been handled differently.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
What was your question? I looked back on your post and you did not ask a single question.

Also, you cannot blame the democratic Congress for the economic fall. Every law that they have tried to pass has been vetoed by Bush and every law that republicans have tried to push has been haltered by the democrats. It's deadlocked. The economic fall can only be blamed on overspending by the American public and credit companies that had too lax of qualifications.

To be perfectly honest, I did not care how the Presidency went one way or the other. I voted for Obama only because I knew he would definitey beat McCain. One thing that I am happy about is that now we have one party in control of Congress and one party in the President's desk. Now maybe we can get tha ball rolling instead of being at a standstill like we were for the past four years.

And if you remember, Congress didn't get much passed when the republicans were in control and had the Presidency...
You're right, I didn't really ask a direct question, but I believe it was implied or rhetorical in spirit. So, the question is:

Am I the only one who is concerned about the outpouring of glowing reviews for Obama from criminals, dictators and terrorists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota