Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,911 times

Advertisements

We still have a sell that we are fixing up between Sturgis and Deadwood in the Canyon and my dh just went there for a visit to check on it. The house is in good shape, just needs some brickwork outside and new carpet in the basement and other small cosmetic things. We also have friends in the area who check on it periodically--it's not ready to be on the market yet and we're still deciding if we will rent it or sell it or move back some day but anyway my dh said there were a zillion dead cluster flies in the house. Now we always had cluster flies in the Fall and I would sweep them up each day and I have never found a way to get rid of them. We have the house sprayed in the Fall but they still get in through the cracks (that's what County extension told me) they hibernate in the Fall but then when there is a warm day they wake up and come into the house through small cracks and then congregate in the sunny windows and they buzz around until they die. They don't come because of garbage or uncleanliness or anything like that. I really wish someone knew how to get rid of these flies!!! Does anyone have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of them?

Moderators--if this should go under another catergory like HOUSES, please move it! Not sure if it is just a SD problem or not!!

Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 06:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
We still have a sell that we are fixing up between Sturgis and Deadwood in the Canyon and my dh just went there for a visit to check on it. The house is in good shape, just needs some brickwork outside and new carpet in the basement and other small cosmetic things. We also have friends in the area who check on it periodically--it's not ready to be on the market yet and we're still deciding if we will rent it or sell it or move back some day but anyway my dh said there were a zillion dead cluster flies in the house. Now we always had cluster flies in the Fall and I would sweep them up each day and I have never found a way to get rid of them. We have the house sprayed in the Fall but they still get in through the cracks (that's what County extension told me) they hibernate in the Fall but then when there is a warm day they wake up and come into the house through small cracks and then congregate in the sunny windows and they buzz around until they die. They don't come because of garbage or uncleanliness or anything like that. I really wish someone knew how to get rid of these flies!!! Does anyone have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of them?

Moderators--if this should go under another catergory like HOUSES, please move it! Not sure if it is just a SD problem or not!!

Pam
You can't get rid of them. But you can post a sign that says, "Keep Out". Just kidding.

Where I lived in the hills, we had a problem. So one spring my dad and I started around the house. Both of us armed with a caulking gun and a gazillion tubes of caulking silicone (actually less then $100 of caulk). We sealed every seam in the foundation. Around every door and window. Along the roof soffets, around plumbing going into or out of the house. We got on the roof and sealed around every vent pipe. We put new weather stripping on the door seals, on the window seals. We even put screens over top of the vents on the roof.

It really helped a lot. From that point on, the only fly's that got in the house came through the door with you. 4 or 5 a day and a fly swatter and careful aim took care of that. Of course, the one bad thing was, you couldn't open up the house unless you paid special attention to the window screens.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,801 times
cluster flies come into home in fall, and wake up with heat lots of time it can be just a attic warming from the fall or winnter sun, then thhey try to make it outside so you find them by windows and doors, they use up all their energy and die trying, I know all this because I fight the battle and can never win, nasty little pests so I vacum everyday all the windows, wait till you side your house or bulding and pull old siding off that is a treat only halloween movies can recreate, gross like 10 million the wall was black, it looked like tar paper they were so tight....

Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 PM

41 posts, read 93,402 times
Can someone explain to us out of towners what cluster flys are?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:20 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,629 times
Maybe she's talking about boxelder bugs.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM

41 posts, read 93,402 times
and those too? haha

Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,733 times
Box elder bugs are about twice the size of a ladybug, more oval in shape, and can fly. They are dark brown, and their back has little orange stripes that kind of look like veins. They are harmless. I haven't seen a box elder tree for years, but they infest them. I haven't seen one here in central Sd in years, but we did have a box elder tree where I grew up and they were all over.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,403 times
Unhappy cluster flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl6 View Post
cluster flies come into home in fall, and wake up with heat lots of time it can be just a attic warming from the fall or winnter sun, then thhey try to make it outside so you find them by windows and doors, they use up all their energy and die trying, I know all this because I fight the battle and can never win, nasty little pests so I vacum everyday all the windows, wait till you side your house or bulding and pull old siding off that is a treat only halloween movies can recreate, gross like 10 million the wall was black, it looked like tar paper they were so tight....
I have same probelm and have been researching how to solve. I just read to use Permethrin, it is natural derived from chrysanthemum flowers. Im going to give it a try. I vacuum every other day and its just nasty, hundreds of them. Ill try anything at this point, dont like insecticides, but this sounds ok. Hope it works. dotdot1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota