Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 679 times

Advertisements

Hey, do any of you people know what college could be good for a music degree? I’ve been looking mostly at BHSU and SDSU and I think I need a little more insight on the rest of the colleges around here if I’m going to be choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 08:16 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212tuttle212 View Post
Hey, do any of you people know what college could be good for a music degree? I’ve been looking mostly at BHSU and SDSU and I think I need a little more insight on the rest of the colleges around here if I’m going to be choosing.
That's one degree I don't have a strong opinion on between colleges. Only leanings I have is if you're into the marching band experience, I would say SDSU's Pride of the Dakotas. Quality of the degree, which is the important thing, I don't know.

This coming from a family of Yotes.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:53 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
If you want a super employable music degree you should probably go out of state. Indiana University is best among affordable state universities. Of private schools in our region with excellent music programs, there's St. Olaf in Minnesota.

USD has an amazing resource in the National Music Museum. Unfortunately the administration has not ever, or now, had the sense to capitalize on this gem, and doesn't support the University's music department well at all.

It's also true, sadly, that it has been difficult to draw the highest tier of academics to any of the Universities in South Dakota, for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
If you want a super employable music degree you should probably go out of state. Indiana University is best among affordable state universities. Of private schools in our region with excellent music programs, there's St. Olaf in Minnesota.

USD has an amazing resource in the National Music Museum. Unfortunately the administration has not ever, or now, had the sense to capitalize on this gem, and doesn't support the University's music department well at all.

It's also true, sadly, that it has been difficult to draw the highest tier of academics to any of the Universities in South Dakota, for a variety of reasons.
There are majors at SD colleges that compare very favorably with larger or glitzier institutions nationwide. In music, you're probably right.

Depending on what you want to do WITH the music major, going out of state and paying much higher tuition just might not be cost efficient. If the plan is to teach music, paying mega-money for a private school or non-reciprocal outstate tuition just don't make much sense. There is such a tremendous demand for high school music teachers now, nationwide, that getting a job won't be that difficult. The PAY to justify getting your degree from a much more expensive college most likely won't match the cost expended.

The OP did not mention his/her goal after attaining the music major. If it's something other than teaching, doing the research into what IS a top flight music department around the country may well be needed.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 679 times
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I will be looking for a music degree in teaching. I’m thinking of going to BHSU because of its cost, and its resourcefulness, even though it’s not the best. I just needed something close to me where I don’t have to worry too much about other things like gas.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:48 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, you should highly consider applying to the U of Wisconsin. It's a nationally-ranked university and the experience there will be much more beneficial beyond the curriculum with better facilities and excellent internship opportunities. I also would not sleep on the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, especially considering its proximity to Chicago's internship and musical theater opportunities as well as its bigger city offerings also. You may think those options are too expensive in terms of tuition, but Wisconsin has reciprocity with South Dakota for in-state tuition.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:46 PM

17,777 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

I love the generalization that USD is a big time party school. Back in the 1960's, Playboy magazine ranked it the #1 party school and that tag has stuck ever since.
I got a chuckle out of this because there has been a guy who is a radio sports guy in the Oklahoma media since the '60s and is a pretty iconic figure here. He is from Jersey City, NJ. and attended OU.

Through the fifty years or so he has been in sports radio he is often asked why he came to OU for school. And his answer is always "Playboy rated OU the #1 party school when he was graduating... in the 1960s of course."

When I got to college I started attending OU away games and would hear about how the school we were playing was named by Playboy as the #1 party school. Spent a semester at Texas Tech. Was informed that Playboy had rated them the #1 party school. Got to grad school in Arizona and low and behold... found out Playboy had rated Arizona #1 party school. Went to U of Florida after that. Guess what. Playboy had rated them the #1 party school.

Funny thing. Nobody could ever produce the article or issue substantiating the claim.

Well guess what...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/top-party-schools/

Quote:
Since the 1950s, rumors have been aired at every college in the U.S. that Playboy conducted surveys of drinking on college campuses and used them to compile annual lists of "America's best party schools" (rumors usually spread by students proudly proclaiming that their own school had achieved the #1 slot

in the latest ranking). However, not until the late 1980s did Playboy actually publish a ranking of this nature, and it was never an annual feature of the magazine

Another one I always heard was that whatever the college bar was in whatever college town it was... "sold more tap beer than any other bar in the country".

I heard that one in a bunch of places as well.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I got a chuckle out of this because there has been a guy who is a radio sports guy in the Oklahoma media since the '60s and is a pretty iconic figure here. He is from Jersey City, NJ. and attended OU.

Through the fifty years or so he has been in sports radio he is often asked why he came to OU for school. And his answer is always "Playboy rated OU the #1 party school when he was graduating... in the 1960s of course."

When I got to college I started attending OU away games and would hear about how the school we were playing was named by Playboy as the #1 party school. Spent a semester at Texas Tech. Was informed that Playboy had rated them the #1 party school. Got to grad school in Arizona and low and behold... found out Playboy had rated Arizona #1 party school. Went to U of Florida after that. Guess what. Playboy had rated them the #1 party school.

Funny thing. Nobody could ever produce the article or issue substantiating the claim.

Well guess what...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/top-party-schools/

Another one I always heard was that whatever the college bar was in whatever college town it was... "sold more tap beer than any other bar in the country".

I heard that one in a bunch of places as well.
This Playboy thing about USD was going around even when I was in high school (graduated in 1972). I think the year it was supposed to have happened was 1967.

True or not (of course probably not) it turned into a reputation. The FACT is quite the opposite compared to the majority of the colleges in the state. Once it was rumored, you couldn't put the Genie back in the bottle. Everyone knew it as a fact.

With 2 exceptions, that being SD School of Mines & Technology (high achieving Math & Engineering School) and Dakota State University (computer heavy school--Nerdville), the U. of SD is more academically competitive than most any other college in the state. Yet, there's that reputation.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:24 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Just to encourage OP (and others) to check out colleges and universities rated superior nationally, because they usually can offer better financial aid packages. Their alumni are better employed than those from schools which are less good, and these alumni often give generously to their alma maters. Nothing is guaranteed, but don't give up on trying for a place because you think you can't afford it. OP might have a good chance of getting a nice financial aid package offer because of their music or academic or personal achievements. A student can always turn a school down once they've seen the financial aid offer if it doesn't provide what they need.

But, OP, remember to NEVER EVER GET A STUDENT LOAN! Take longer to get the degree you want if necessary, but going into debt is always foolish.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:45 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212tuttle212 View Post
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I will be looking for a music degree in teaching. I’m thinking of going to BHSU because of its cost, and its resourcefulness, even though it’s not the best. I just needed something close to me where I don’t have to worry too much about other things like gas.
I would look at Northern State University in Aberdeen, which has long had a great reputation for preparing future teachers, and similarly has a good music program. Of the two you referenced (BHSU and SDSU), I would go SDSU for its music/ ed program, but admittedly I am not super familiar with what all might be available at BHSU. I saw someone recommend St. Olaf in Northfield, MN, but if going the private school route, Sioux Falls is home to Augustana University, which has a great music program that I would argue is just as competitive/ high-quality as St. Olaf's.

To those suggesting to look outside of the state- yes, you could do that, but unless you are wanting the prestige of going to one of the nation's top music conservatories, I don't see a need to leave the state for undergrad. The level of musicianship & music programming in South Dakota is actually quite high compared to surrounding Midwestern states, including Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota