Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,223 times

Advertisements

While being excited to see the growth in Omaha/Lincoln and the tri-cities area, and how the state saw a nice surge of growth last year..

I am pretty excited to see where the additional 10,000 new residents in South Dakota is located.. 10,000 new residents in one year for a state with 800,000 people is a growth rate ABOVE the national growth rate for your entire STATE! And we know that most of this growth is going to be in two areas: Sioux Falls (with the majority) and Rapid City (an accelerating city)..

If I am punching the numbers right, it is very possible that Souix Falls broke a 4% growth rate from July of 2007 to July of 2008... If that is true, wow! That is Phoenix and Atlanta type of growth (but relative to size)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 37,674 times
Here we see the typical "bean-counter" assessment of Sioux Falls, "The receipts are in, looks like we made a profit!" Wow indeed. If I were looking for statistics to gauge SF's health by, I'd check out the fiscal health of a couple major employers in SF-namely Citibank and John Morrell. Start picking up shovels! Times are about to get tough. This region has pithy wages in general and because the Dakotas are anywhere from 6 months to 60 years behind the times, watch for those unemployment numbers to rise along with the mercury this summer. All that growth and the building trades are suffering, big time. Somebody's got to tell the truth about Sioux Falls. I'm tired of empty numbers and endless sugarcoating. I'm not against growth, but this city has suffered from an extreme lack of vision for nearly 20 years. As long as they commit to the top 10 percent of the population, they are missing 90 percent of the proverbial forest for the trees. Handled right, this could have been one of the best cities in the US. It's a community that has rested on its laurels far too long and will need to rely on something more than agriculture and the associated banking and insurance sector for continued prosperity.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM

86 posts, read 270,324 times
Somebody already has told the truth about Sioux Falls...

#1 Sioux Falls SD - Forbes.com

Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Best Places to Retire - USNews.com (http://www.usnews.com/listings/retirement/south_dakota/sioux_falls - broken link)

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Sioux Falls, SD snapshot

Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
HMMMM, it looks like someone in Mn. isn't happy for their neighbor's progress.

EHenningsen, that is very good news. I don't think any of us want to see our state explode with newcomers, but growth is always welcome here. Thanks for the positive insight.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboots4 View Post
Here we see the typical "bean-counter" assessment of Sioux Falls, "The receipts are in, looks like we made a profit!" Wow indeed. If I were looking for statistics to gauge SF's health by, I'd check out the fiscal health of a couple major employers in SF-namely Citibank and John Morrell. Start picking up shovels! Times are about to get tough. This region has pithy wages in general and because the Dakotas are anywhere from 6 months to 60 years behind the times, watch for those unemployment numbers to rise along with the mercury this summer. All that growth and the building trades are suffering, big time. Somebody's got to tell the truth about Sioux Falls. I'm tired of empty numbers and endless sugarcoating. I'm not against growth, but this city has suffered from an extreme lack of vision for nearly 20 years. As long as they commit to the top 10 percent of the population, they are missing 90 percent of the proverbial forest for the trees. Handled right, this could have been one of the best cities in the US. It's a community that has rested on its laurels far too long and will need to rely on something more than agriculture and the associated banking and insurance sector for continued prosperity.
Wow, how pathetic is this! The difference between Sioux Falls and the cities in a crisis is the practices held..

I've done an exuberant amount of research into this, and your statement cannot be any more surface level, fear driven than I have read before..

Sioux Falls has a diverse economy, and is built on product and it is the product that is being sold and debted too.. Sioux Falls has the right dynamics to have a continaully strong dynamic growth..

And since you posted what you had posted, I am not even going to go any deeper as it appears that you are here to stir and not promote ideas..,

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
ehenningsen, Good to see you in the SD forum again! And a very good post...

And yes, Jammie, it sounds like someone is either jealous, or not wanting to live here!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
Very good topic, ehenningsen. With the increase of 10,000 people, I would not be surprise that a portion of them went to Tea and Harrisburg. Harrisburg was 2,500 or so back in 2006/2007 and it estimated well over 4,000 now. Tea is estimated between 4,000 and 5,000 people (around 4,500 area), which is a healthy rise from 3,000 people three to four years ago.

Sioux Falls had a healthy gain too.

Yes, Sioux Falls has areas that it needs to improve on and I would like to see the Sanford research lab come to fruition for the opportunties, good paying jobs, and more tax revenue that it would bring to Sioux Falls, Lincoln County, and neighboring communities and counties. Sioux Falls can benefit off of the Hyperion Refinery in Elk Point with side businesses that may locate in Sioux Falls and places between it and Elk Point. The person who posted the negative post is being too pessimistic. The challenges and flaws of Sioux Falls present an opportuntiy to improve and take the city to another level. I think that Sioux Falls is well-positioned to succeed when the national economy rebounds. I have confidence in the Sioux Falls area.

I am excited to see the 2008 figures.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM

106 posts, read 344,260 times
Sioux Falls Metro grew by 6,000 people last year. Harrisburg seeing significant growth. Metro is now 233,000

Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
Sioux Falls Metro grew by 6,000 people last year. Harrisburg seeing significant growth. Metro is now 233,000
6,000 in one year is pretty amazing fellas! That is about 2,000 more than Lincoln, NE that has 295,000 people in its metro and that is considered a substantial gain..

6,000 people in one year would be average to the national rate if a metropolitan area of 600,000 was involved.. That should state exactly how exaggerated SF's growth really is..

Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times
The whole Corridor from Texas to North Dakota seems to be growing great! I just hope we can keep this through the financial mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota