Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I need some input again! I have initially gone with Knology for our internet/cable/phone package, but now that I have signed up, Midco has come around with an offer of $79 for the first year ($20 under what I am paying for the first year with Knology).

They offer a few more features, and I won't have to change my phone number if I switch. Anyone have an opinion about these two providers? Should I switch, or should I stick with what I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I personally like Midco better than Knology and would go with Midco if given the choice. I had Midco when I lived in Pierre but in Lincoln County, I have Knology. Knology is not terrible but not the greatest, but I miss Midco. Midco is more user-friendly and has more options. Electronic bill payment is easier with Midco along with the the e-mail and more services.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM

43 posts, read 121,701 times
I know nothing about Knology - we've always had Midco here and have no complaints. We just have cable and internet with them - no phone. (Just have our cells as there is just the 2 of us at home and all the family and close friends are on the same server so our calls are free between us.)

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM

68 posts, read 171,979 times
I used to have Midco, but then when we decided to get high speed, we went with Knology (this is way back in the Black Hills Fibercom days) I am tempted to switch back to Midco, because ever since Knology took over (it was Prairiewave before it was Knology), there internet service has become somewhat finicky. You don’t notice how bad there internet service is until you start playing games on the internet, so if you just do general stuff (e-mail, browsing, forums, ect) your fine. I am also one to gripe about there acceptable use policy. It basically says that there service is not for playing games and that you cannot host any game related servers on there connection, even though they advertise their service is “great” for gaming. (/rant)

so IMHO, I would go with Midco given the choice, simply because Midco is a bit more local and friendly compared to Knology.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Question for those who use Knowlogy: is the internet connection DSL or Cable? I had Midco for 5 years, and switched to Qwest DSL. The main reason was in the evening when there was quite a bit of use on cable connection it would slow down.

That is something DSL doesn't do, or to the extent that cable connections do.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
My internet connection is a cable modem...I am thinking I am going to switch it and see what happens. If I don't like it, they said they would switch us back - guess I don't have anything to lose!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times
Iam on midco right now. It seems to be working fine.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Iam on midco right now. It seems to be working fine.
Ditto. We also go with Midcontinent and never have problems. Right at the moment, you just can't beat that fiber-optic.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 PM

68 posts, read 171,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Question for those who use Knowlogy: is the internet connection DSL or Cable?
Knology is cable (its cable right off fiber in the hills on the old black hills Fibercom network)
In the long run DSL has slower download speeds then cable (but its upload speeds are far better)

Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
I've never dealt with Knology, but Midcontinent has been good...
If you have a choice between DSL and Cable for internet (in South Dakota), go with cable!

The configurations of a DSL connection are ridiculous.
I'm going by my parent's connection, and the headaches I've had with it.

With my cable connection, you plug it in, and it works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota