Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I don't know about the cosmic wind part, but I was thinking of the expansion of the universe.

What is cosmic wind, anyway?
I knew you meant the expansion of the universe, to which I completely agree which is why I also said (in reference to the "water" quasar) that you can't get there from here, even at the speed of light. My comment was meant more as a joke with your "going against the wind" statement . However, there are plenty of strong sources of energetic turbulence to be found around the universe in the form of solar winds, gamma ray bursts, supernovae, hypernovae, quasar jets, colliding galaxies, and the biggest one of all, the Big Bang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
We should shoot our trash at it

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I knew you meant the expansion of the universe, to which I completely agree which is why I also said (in reference to the "water" quasar) that you can't get there from here, even at the speed of light. My comment was meant more as a joke with your "going against the wind" statement . However, there are plenty of strong sources of energetic turbulence to be found around the universe in the form of solar winds, gamma ray bursts, supernovae, hypernovae, quasar jets, colliding galaxies, and the biggest one of all, the Big Bang.
Good grief, I've not heard of a hypernova.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Good grief, I've not heard of a hypernova.
Hypernovae are probably the most powerful explosions in the universe. According to the ESO, there is a conclusive link between gamma-ray bursts and hypernovae. In effect, my understanding is that hypernovae is basically a supernovae, but on a much larger and more powerful scale from truly gigantic stars, perhaps 10 times more powerful than a supernova. They collapse directly into a black hole and produce powerful plasma jets. Quasars are thought to be caused by supermassive black holes, but both supernovae and hypernovae don't seem to be powerful enough to cause a quasar. I don't think it's really known exactly how supermassive black holes (like those at the center of galaxies) form. You've probably already looked it up, but just in case, here are a few links in reference to hypernovae:

APOD: April 20, 1999 - Candidates for a Hypernova

ESO - eso0318 - Cosmological Gamma-Ray Bursts and Hypernovae Conclusively Linked

Hypernova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Quote:
I don't think it's really known exactly how supermassive black holes (like those at the center of galaxies) form
I always liked the theory that supermassive black holes were the result of two or more other black holes merging into one.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Hypernovae are probably the most powerful explosions in the universe. According to the ESO, there is a conclusive link between gamma-ray bursts and hypernovae. In effect, my understanding is that hypernovae is basically a supernovae, but on a much larger and more powerful scale from truly gigantic stars, perhaps 10 times more powerful than a supernova. They collapse directly into a black hole and produce powerful plasma jets. Quasars are thought to be caused by supermassive black holes, but both supernovae and hypernovae don't seem to be powerful enough to cause a quasar. I don't think it's really known exactly how supermassive black holes (like those at the center of galaxies) form. You've probably already looked it up, but just in case, here are a few links in reference to hypernovae:

APOD: April 20, 1999 - Candidates for a Hypernova

ESO - eso0318 - Cosmological Gamma-Ray Bursts and Hypernovae Conclusively Linked

Hypernova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, I would've but I had to help my wife at the library. The boss has been pouring it on, and she's been stressed out.

I was really impressed by the wiki article. Did you notice it seemed to have a barbell appearance, and I thought it was curious.

Also curious ( a bit off topic) --- "Every 3.4 years, pulsar B1259-63 dives twice through the gas disk surrounding the massive blue star it orbits. With each pass, it produces gamma rays...)

I was talking to a couple of guys who were very puzzled about why these gamma rays were being emitted, since they are so rare.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I always liked the theory that supermassive black holes were the result of two or more other black holes merging into one.
That's one thing that could possibly happen, which would really create a strange warpage of space-time around such an event. Simulations show that other interesting things could happen as well when supermassive black holes meet, such as a "recoil effect".

Here are a couple of interesting articles and a video about it.

What Happens When Supermassive Black Holes Collide?

Black Holes Merge With a Flash of Light : Discovery News

‪Two Massive Black Holes Merge - Simulation‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
"These findings are very exciting," said CU-Boulder Associate Professor Jason Glenn, a study co-author. "We not only detected water in the farthest reaches of the universe, but enough to fill Earth's oceans more than 100 trillion times."

The water measurement, together with measurements of other molecules in the vapor source, suggests there is enough gas present for the black hole to grow to about six times its already massive size, said Bradford. Whether it will grow to this size is not clear, however, as some of the gas may end up forming stars instead, or be ejected from the quasar host galaxy in an outflow.
I think everyone will find this graphic most interesting There are Moons within our Solar System with 39 times the amount of water here on Earth so it's not as rare in space as was thought in past decades.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
No, I would've but I had to help my wife at the library. The boss has been pouring it on, and she's been stressed out.

I was really impressed by the wiki article. Did you notice it seemed to have a barbell appearance, and I thought it was curious.

Also curious ( a bit off topic) --- "Every 3.4 years, pulsar B1259-63 dives twice through the gas disk surrounding the massive blue star it orbits. With each pass, it produces gamma rays...)

I was talking to a couple of guys who were very puzzled about why these gamma rays were being emitted, since they are so rare.
Good link! Perhaps the energy it picks up as it passes through the gas disk? The image shows it produces a faint emission as it approaches the disk, can't be seen when it's behiind it, then shows a strong emission on the way out. The universe is a very strange and remarkable place.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think everyone will find this graphic most interesting There are Moons within our Solar System with 39 times the amount of water here on Earth so it's not as rare in space as was thought in past decades.
Interestingly, in the more distant past, it was thought that Mars had canals to channel water (even though there are no canals), and there was the idea that Venus was a cloud covered steamy prehistoric jungle. The point being that people thought water existed elsewhere in the solar system. Then from the manned moon missions and the first few views of Mars' cratered, desert-like surface it looked like things were more parched with little to no water (except at the polar ice caps). Now, with much better probes and equipment, water (at least in the form of ice) seems much more abundant again than thought. The thinking seems to have sort of gone full circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space