Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
This universe is teeming with life. There are people on this planet that are aware of this. It's painfully obvious.
Care to elaborate? That's a rhetorical question BTW as I know you have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Let’s agree that it is at least worthwhile to wonder. Some would say that if we are the only life in the universe and beyond, that would be a miracle. Others would say it’s just a random fact. I suspect a couple of things: 1. Nature, God, the randomness of the cosmos, whatever you want to call it, wanted to keep us separate. 2. Our conception of the universe and beyond is directly correlated with what is there, I.e., it only exists if we can conceive of it. 3. Mysticism may provide more answers than science. [Disclaimer: I fully support science!]

All that being said, who knows. It’s amazing.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Let’s agree that it is at least worthwhile to wonder. Some would say that if we are the only life in the universe and beyond, that would be a miracle. Others would say it’s just a random fact. I suspect a couple of things: 1. Nature, God, the randomness of the cosmos, whatever you want to call it, wanted to keep us separate. 2. Our conception of the universe and beyond is directly correlated with what is there, I.e., it only exists if we can conceive of it. 3. Mysticism may provide more answers than science. [Disclaimer: I fully support science!]

All that being said, who knows. It’s amazing.
The 'UFOs/UAPs', that are being reported today, are not extraterrestrials though, they are FROM THIS planet.

There very well may be true extraterrestrial civilizations out there, but whether they are aware of us or have visited here is unknown, I think if they did, we would all know about it, it would be the biggest and most important event in the history of the world, its not something that could be suppressed or kept secret.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Then provide them. Claiming you can do something without backing it up is meaningless.
The first and last one is really the best imo, as the first actually goes into detail about one of the craft. The last documents the Govts effort to keep this secret from the public.

Page 3 of the first link states "learned from research at secret institutions"

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...0000015463.pdf

https://vault.fbi.gov/hottel_guy/Guy...%20of%201/view

https://vault.fbi.gov/Majestic%2012/...%20of%201/view

Old 12-07-2019, 06:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We haven't found intelligent aliens because:

What else did I miss?
You missed the biggest: We don't recognize them. Or "it", as the case may be.

There is no reason to think that a really intelligent life would look anything like us, use technologies that we use or even be recognized by us.

In fact there is one theory that life as we experience it is just a computer simulation being run by a super advanced species, kind of like the Matrix. This has actually been discussed in legitimate science publications and a test has been devised to figure out if that is the case. Last I heard the researcher had applied for funding to run his test.

But even if we are not in a computer simulation, aliens could be observing us using some technology we don't know about and therefore we are ignorant of their presence or observations. It is a little arrogant for humans to think that our brains are as advanced as any other possible life form's would be and therefore we would be able to sense their presence. Maybe they don't even have brains anymore and have uploaded themselves to computers. Who knows?

Life is inevitable, all it takes is a self-replicating molecule and billions of years. It will happen elsewhere.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:39 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You missed the biggest: We don't recognize them. Or "it", as the case may be.

There is no reason to think that a really intelligent life would look anything like us, use technologies that we use or even be recognized by us.

In fact there is one theory that life as we experience it is just a computer simulation being run by a super advanced species, kind of like the Matrix. This has actually been discussed in legitimate science publications and a test has been devised to figure out if that is the case. Last I heard the researcher had applied for funding to run his test.

But even if we are not in a computer simulation, aliens could be observing us using some technology we don't know about and therefore we are ignorant of their presence or observations. It is a little arrogant for humans to think that our brains are as advanced as any other possible life form's would be and therefore we would be able to sense their presence. Maybe they don't even have brains anymore and have uploaded themselves to computers. Who knows?

Life is inevitable, all it takes is a self-replicating molecule and billions of years. It will happen elsewhere.
I’ll add a couple things to this and say, first, I agree that IF we were to encounter signs of intelligent alien life, it probably wouldn’t be alien life, it would be their machines. We are just now sending out our machines to various places and will probably make increasing use of robotics to explore distances, times and environments humans can not.

Regarding the comment in bold, despite my skepticism about the likelihood of intelligent life, I find this argument (link below) for the development of some sort of life really interesting.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/first...life-20170726/

Old 12-08-2019, 03:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Regarding the comment in bold, despite my skepticism about the likelihood of intelligent life, I find this argument (link below) for the development of some sort of life really interesting.

Interesting article. I had heard that argument before, that entropy can drive the rearrangement of atoms into a configuration that is more efficient at increasing entropy. That is a bold finding because entropy has always been treated as a consequence of the time evolution of a closed system rather than a driver of the dynamics of the system.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’ll add a couple things to this and say, first, I agree that IF we were to encounter signs of intelligent alien life, it probably wouldn’t be alien life, it would be their machines. We are just now sending out our machines to various places and will probably make increasing use of robotics to explore distances, times and environments humans can not.

Did you read the Document I posted a link for in the above post (the first one listed)?

They recovered some of these 'machines' back in the 1950s, they learned about how they work and all the parts that go into them, they go into detail about their operation....

Again, this was over 60 yrs ago!

Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 PM

874 posts, read 454,648 times
Fascinating………”ain’t” it……….

And everybody’s thoughts whew…fascinating. Then again………I can laugh at a good Looney-Tunes cartoon.

…. love watching space documentaries, always have (and F-troop)….

in...1999, 2000, I used to write to Dr. Neil Degrasse-Tyson --- way before he became an astrophysicist-Rock Star. I have his autograph & Bill the Science Guy…and someone at the Jet Propulsion Lab (…went to see them at Planetarium …like…12 years ago).

I believe in GOD. I believe that Jupiter is where it is for a reason.

I don’t (for one second NOW) believe this is “all an ACCIDENT” !!

Just like an Architect designs a building…………… GOD was our Architect.

Those eyebrows over our eyes --- not an accident. If we were designed without them, you know, we would look “incomplete.”

I don’t believe there are other ‘life forms” like us…………..God broke the milky way mold when he was done….

I'll believe in UFO's, etc., landing somewhere on this planet when the President or some Government official interrupts my regularly scheduled program....

We’re still so …primitive in some areas of our existence on URF………...
No offense to the geniuses who build rovers, land them on Mars and drive them around via a computer FROM Earth.

WOW ……..man, how smart are “you people….”

Old 12-10-2019, 05:13 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think this is the best answer. Unfortunately, it’s also the most boring one, but there’s really no way around it at this stage.
And that's what tends to inform the opinions of those interested in this topic - they embrace the 'fun' answers to the question simply because those answers are more entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space