Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 04:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times

Advertisements

Awesome to watch it

It did explode after a few minutes, I guess so they could check off the RUD item. They really need to remove that from the checklist.

Last edited by jdhpa; 03-03-2021 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 05:22 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Yes, it was impressive for sure. Science fiction that we read when younger has become reality.

Didn't know it exploded. Presumably unintentional? The fire after landing in the engine area seemed to last for a while.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:24 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Awesome to watch it

It did explode after a few minutes, I guess so they could check off the RUD item. They really need to remove that from the checklist.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a "perfect landing"!

I'm happy that they did finally get it on the third try, but it seemed like one of the landing legs or more didn't work properly, which caused the lean on the landing and the subsequent fire which lead to the explosion.

I think the key this time, is that they used all 3 raptor engines to do the flip, which caused it be more controlled and stable than the SN8 and SN9 flips which, I think, only used 2 of the engines. After the flip on SN10 with all three engines, they went down to a single engine to perform the landing.

Also, they just poured new concrete on the landing site a week ago after they expanded it and repaired it from the SN9 crash landing a few weeks ago. I wonder if that had anything to do with the leaning landing or was it all just due to the landing legs?

Old 03-03-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it a "perfect landing"!

I'm happy that they did finally get it on the third try, but it seemed like one of the landing legs or more didn't work properly, which caused the lean on the landing and the subsequent fire which lead to the explosion.

I think the key this time, is that they used all 3 raptor engines to do the flip, which caused it be more controlled and stable than the SN8 and SN9 flips which, I think, only used 2 of the engines. After the flip on SN10 with all three engines, they went down to a single engine to perform the landing.

Also, they just poured new concrete on the landing site a week ago after they expanded it and repaired it from the SN9 crash landing a few weeks ago. I wonder if that had anything to do with the leaning landing or was it all just due to the landing legs?
Is there any video of the explosion? All I saw was the SpaceX coverage that lasted just under 15 minutes, maybe 10 minutes after launch. When it cut off, they were spraying the fire with water. I noticed it was leaning a little but thought that was just my imagination, but the fire at the base was certainly real.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:37 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
That was nice to watch. The ship did bounce a little on landing, and I wonder if that had anything to do with it exploding minutes after the landing.

SpaceX Starship SN10 soars, lands for first time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNQ6Mq5kbg

Old 03-03-2021, 06:43 PM

Looked like the fire was there before touchdown.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:50 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,571 times
Testing the thrusters to when they send people back to the moon again. 2028. Date. I think they can do it again. It is a big thing for U.S. They did it in 1969. This was during the war time. But U.S. was the talk of the world back then. I remember someone mention the draft. I was really an infant then. And Boston Red Sox star Dwight Evans did not go in the draft in 1969. He went to Santa Barbara University in 1969 to play college baseball, at age 18, then he left to play for the Boston Red Sox in 1972. He played all the way until past 1986. Here is a guy who refused to cave in to the military. Instead they could not touch him because he was playing in college at Santa Barbara, California, then off to Boston Red Sox in 1972 his rookie year. 22 years old. This was my favorite baseball star in high school because no one ever came close to reaching Dwight Evans status. His stat was 6-2 and he hit 385 career homeruns. Boston Red Sox was my favorite MLB team in high school. And he played Right field. He beat out everyone I know. To this day, I am happy for it. I don't mind giving credit to Dwight Evans. Because he beat out every high school I know in Hawai'i. high school or MLB, past or present, Dewey beat them all. Yes!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:20 PM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times
It's curious that the network news talked about the launch but only showed it blowing up. That was the least interesting part of the whole mission.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:31 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Helium ingestion from a header tank caused a 10m/s impact; more than the landing legs could take. Then fire, then obligatory RUD.

Still, one hell of a thing! I bet SN11 crashes, but we might get an intact landing from 12 or lucky 13.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:18 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Helium ingestion from a header tank caused a 10m/s impact; more than the landing legs could take. Then fire, then obligatory RUD.

Still, one hell of a thing! I bet SN11 crashes, but we might get an intact landing from 12 or lucky 13.
I heard Elon mention with SN11, they will again use all 3 raptor engines for the flip and then power down just one engine to land using 2 raptor engines, instead of landing with a single one like SN8, SN9 and SN10. Also he mentioned about "beefing up" the landing legs, not sure if that will be done for SN11 or not.

If you look at the slow-mo of the SN10 landing you can see at least 2 of the 6 landing legs didn't lock into place and were just dangling there.

I'm thinking maybe by the end of March, they will launch SN11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space