Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 10:47 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

I think where science and religion are meeting is by how science is now recognizing that there are some psychological benefits from religiosity and spirituality. Perhaps in some sense it is an evolved crutch, but I've come to terms with thinking about it that way. Some people definitely seem to need religion, perhaps as a substitute for other more dangerous paths.

The Mental Health Benefits of Religion & Spirituality

What this has to do with space though is a mystery to me. Perhaps in an infinity of multi-verse realities there may be realms where space itself has gained intelligence, becoming a manifestation of godliness of the whole? I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 12:28 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I think where science and religion are meeting is by how science is now recognizing that there are some psychological benefits from religiosity and spirituality. Perhaps in some sense it is an evolved crutch, but I've come to terms with thinking about it that way. Some people definitely seem to need religion, perhaps as a substitute for other more dangerous paths.

What this has to do with space though is a mystery to me. Perhaps in an infinity of multi-verse realities there may be realms where space itself has gained intelligence, becoming a manifestation of godliness of the whole? I don't really know.
If you aren’t familiar with them, I highly suggest checking out Brian Greene’s The Hidden Reality and Max Tegmark’s Our Mathematical Universe where both authors cover several different multiverse models, all of which, while entirely hypothetical, are extensions of scientific ideas. I’m especially partial to the eternal inflation model, who suggests that our Big Bang was just one of many in the eternally inflating multiverse.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:15 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post

It was suggested that the new telescope could image the Universe back to the start - or very near to it. But, if we can see that far back, then what came before it (the big bang, or the birth of the Universe)?

Maybe by examining the start of the Universe we all will find a consciousness or a 'something' there which started the whole thing off? THAT is where science and religion meet and it is the discussion about the James Webb Space Telescope seeing that far back in time which means it is a space forum topic and not a religious belief topic.

Of course, unless you are uncomfortable with such a topic being discussed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space