Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 09:36 AM

84 posts, read 38,738 times

Advertisements

Is this a science topic or philosophical topic or both? There's been a lot of talk about the size of the Universe and why the JWST is finding so many large early galaxies. Trying to understand and explain the physics of the universe is a noble pursuit. I think we have made enormous progress in the past 100 years or so.

The problem that people have been having lately is that observable phenomena can only be explained by increasingly bizarre and convoluted theories. Common folk don't like that. It's often said that the simplest theory that explains the facts is correct, but so far no simple theories that actually explain all observations have emerged. So we are left with dark matter and dark energy, and M-theory, and multiverses.

After a few beers we start getting the "my personal opinion is the universe is blah, blah ,blah......" Theories that are simple and symmetrical but don't explain observations, because the promulgator doesn't know the details of all the observations that physicists are trying to explain. I'm sadly usually in that camp.

It's pretty obvious that the earth and the life on it doesn't matter at all in the universe. Even if we blow up our planet, so what? Life is probably common given the number of stars in the universe, and even intelligent life living co-temperaneously with us is likely given the numbers, but other than possible microbial life, it is likely too far away to interact communicating or traveling at light speed or below.

But we might change our importance in the universe, if we could figure it out. Maybe it's impossible, but we should keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 11:15 PM

15,898 posts, read 6,601,663 times
Computer models of the expanding universe have been pretty successful in modeling the current appearance just based on general relativity and the existence of dark matter, dark energy, and baryonic matter. What we don't know just yet are the details of the earliest states, which will require some fine tuning. The stuff about M-theory and multiverse is extraneous at this point -- we may never know what came before the big bang.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:38 AM

4,002 posts, read 6,829,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
It's pretty obvious that the earth and the life on it doesn't matter at all in the universe. Even if we blow up our planet, so what? Life is probably common given the number of stars in the universe, and even intelligent life living co-temperaneously with us is likely given the numbers, but other than possible microbial life, it is likely too far away to interact communicating or traveling at light speed or below.
I disagree.

DNA and RNA look like a statistically improbable (very improbable actually) "chemical accident" that happened on Earth, creating the basis for self-replicating lifeforms, and is very unlikely to happen in any other planets, even if they have the exact same physical and chemical conditions of Earth when DNA and RNA first appeared here.

Even if that "chemical accident" happened in another planet, it would be statistically improbable that evolution in that planet would create macroscopic multicellular life. And if that happend, it would be even more statistically improbable that evolution there would eventually give rise to some kind of intelligent species capable of creating complex language and building things. And even if there was some intelligent species capable of creating complex language and building things, it would be very unlikely that they would make the same discoveries that Earth's homo sapiens made, specially those about electromagnetism, chemistry, and the structure of atoms.

That's why I think it's very improbable that exists any intelligent civilization that is technologically more developed than homo sapiens in some other planet. Well, at least here in Laniakea...

Old 03-13-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I disagree.

DNA and RNA look like a statistically improbable (very improbable actually) "chemical accident" that happened on Earth, creating the basis for self-replicating lifeforms, and is very unlikely to happen in any other planets, even if they have the exact same physical and chemical conditions of Earth when DNA and RNA first appeared here.

Even if that "chemical accident" happened in another planet, it would be statistically improbable that evolution in that planet would create macroscopic multicellular life. And if that happend, it would be even more statistically improbable that evolution there would eventually give rise to some kind of intelligent species capable of creating complex language and building things. And even if there was some intelligent species capable of creating complex language and building things, it would be very unlikely that they would make the same discoveries that Earth's homo sapiens made, specially those about electromagnetism, chemistry, and the structure of atoms.

That's why I think it's very improbable that exists any intelligent civilization that is technologically more developed than homo sapiens in some other planet. Well, at least here in Laniakea...
Right now there's really no way to know for certain how likely it is for life to form. But there is the Copernican principle of mediocrity, which says we are just an ordinary place. That suggests there's nothing special about our location for life to form. But you may be right that intelligent, technology-using life is unlikely due to the number of improbable steps it took, and this world just got "lucky".

Questioning Copernican Mediocrity

Old 03-13-2024, 10:37 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,895,255 times
very unlikely

Sure - but - what's "very unlikely" for you? One in a trillion? One in a trillion trillions? Got ya covered.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
very unlikely

Sure - but - what's "very unlikely" for you? One in a trillion? One in a trillion trillions? Got ya covered.
I estimate (without any calculations to prove it ) that the probability of any intelligent civilization that is technologically more developed than homo sapiens existing in any other planet in Laniakea is one in a googolplex.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I estimate (without any calculations to prove it ) that the probability of any intelligent civilization that is technologically more developed than homo sapiens existing in any other planet in Laniakea is one in a googolplex.
I think you're off by a few percent. Within the margin of error, I suppose.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:34 PM

84 posts, read 38,738 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Simplest answer is that complex life occurred on this planet, so it can occur on another planet. Sure, it won’t be plentiful, but it can occur. There are plenty of hydrocarbons and amino acids in the universe.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
Simplest answer is that complex life occurred on this planet, so it can occur on another planet. Sure, it won’t be plentiful, but it can occur. There are plenty of hydrocarbons and amino acids in the universe.
I think what happened in this planet was an incredible accident that has no chance of happening in any other planet in the universe in the next decillion of years.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I think what happened in this planet was an incredible accident that has no chance of happening in any other planet in the universe in the next decillion of years.
Welp, nature doesn't care what we think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space