Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Spirit has been "bogged down" for several months. NASA states that it will take several more months to attempt a rescue. Let's hope they can free our little robotic friend. SEE: NASA to try to free stuck Mars rover Spirit | Science News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20091112/US.SCI.Mars.Rovers/ - broken link) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I hope they can free it, but it seems like that would be very difficult. Of course, most everything NASA accomplishes seems incredibly difficult to me, so here's hoping!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I hope they can free it, but it seems like that would be very difficult. Of course, most everything NASA accomplishes seems incredibly difficult to me, so here's hoping!
Agreed... the whole freaking thing just amazes me to no end.

They are essentially navigating a giant RC car over unknown terrain on an alien planet that is some 60 million km away at its closest point. The thing has been going for six years, part of that dragging a bad wheel, which is well past their expected lifespan of 3 months.

Oh and that doesn't even take into account that they did this twice and there is another rover on the other side of the planet. Or how they got them there in the first place.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:00 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post

They are essentially navigating a giant RC car over unknown terrain on an alien planet that is some 60 million km away at its closest point. The thing has been going for six years, part of that dragging a bad wheel, which is well past their expected lifespan of 3 months.

Oh and that doesn't even take into account that they did this twice and there is another rover on the other side of the planet. Or how they got them there in the first place.
Yes, it's truly impressive! Heck, I remember the last time I tried to navigate an RC car. Once I turned it around to come back to me, disaster ensued. Of course, going way too fast didn't help.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post

I forgot about the bad wheel. It amazes me too, how they have exceeded expectations on longevity. I think NASA assumed the solar panels would get covered in dust...but the Martian winds appear to be keeping them relatively clean. I think most of us "see" the rovers as our "kids"....let's hope we can help free Spirit!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,903 times
I think the Rovers are about NASA's only project that has far exceeded expectations and more than got our bank for the buck out of them.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:32 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
Maybe they should send rovers like those to Titan or any of the outer moons.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Maybe they should send rovers like those to Titan or any of the outer moons.
Remember we sent the Huygens "probe" to Titan, but it was only designed to basically tell us what the surface was made of by a "controlled crash" and had no capabilities approaching Spirit or it's sister probe. I believe there are plans to send a balloon type probe to do a more advanced analysis.

We are sending a probe to Europa to "burrow" through the ice and reach it's interior ocean. The experiments in Antartica to drill through the ice to the under the ice lake(Vostok..I think???) are a trial run. Scientists need an efficient way, with minimal energy requirements to cut through but the major concern is contamination with lifeforms not indigenous to the Antartic lake. The same parameters apply to Europa but are far more important. PS......Please correct the lake's name, I think I have it wrong????

Old 11-23-2009, 01:05 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Remember we sent the Huygens "probe" to Titan, but it was only designed to basically tell us what the surface was made of by a "controlled crash" and had no capabilities approaching Spirit or it's sister probe. I believe there are plans to send a balloon type probe to do a more advanced analysis.

We are sending a probe to Europa to "burrow" through the ice and reach it's interior ocean. The experiments in Antartica to drill through the ice to the under the ice lake(Vostok..I think???) are a trial run. Scientists need an efficient way, with minimal energy requirements to cut through but the major concern is contamination with lifeforms not indigenous to the Antartic lake. The same parameters apply to Europa but are far more important. PS......Please correct the lake's name, I think I have it wrong????
I believe Vostok is correct.
Lake Vostok.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
As far as I know; the "high tech" rescue attempt..mainly involves rocking the rover back and forth; like trying to free a car stuck in the snow/ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space