Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 AM

952 posts, read 942,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm more curious as to how so many 20th century yet delusional people can be brainwashed to think a god created anything.

Charles: Oh. So, you're pretty religious?

Puddy: That's right.

Charles: So is it a problem that I'm not really religious?

Puddy: Not for me.

Charles: Why not?

Puddy: I'm not the one going to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 AM

314 posts, read 414,562 times
that really makes you wonder what else is out there. great video

Old 06-05-2010, 04:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
Charles: Oh. So, you're pretty religious?

Puddy: That's right.

Charles: So is it a problem that I'm not really religious?

Puddy: Not for me, but I'll keep my kids away from your free thinking. I wouldn't want you to ruin the indoctrination I am subjecting them to. I wouldn't want to take a chance that by listening to you, they might question the existence of god.

Charles: Why not?

Puddy: I'm not the one going to hell.
[continues]

Charles: Actually, if there is a god, you might go to hell and I might go to heaven.

Puddy: What? How can that be?

Charles: Because if there is a god, he'll realize you're just putting on a suck up act with the phony christian graciousness; your true intentions are just to get to heaven. On the other hand, my behaviors are genuine - whether nice or not - I'm not faking it. There's nothing noble about "acting christian" for selfish reasons.

By the way, are you open minded?

Puddy: Why of course!

Charles: Is it possible god does not exist?

Puddy: No! That is not possible.

Charles: Why are you a christian? Why not a muslim?

Puddy: I choose to be a christian.

Charles: It had nothing to do with the fact your mom and dad took you to a christian church and indoctrinated you in the US, a predominately christian country?

Puddy: No, I discovered jesus when I hit bottom, I had no hope, my life was in shambles. It was the only way I could survive psychologically.

Charles: Interesting. I guess it just a big coincidence that the US is predominately christian, Pakistan is predominately muslim, India in predominately hindu...etc? It has nothing to do with those countries' parents brainwashing their kids into those countries' predominant religion? Just a big coincidence.

Puddy: Come on Charles; christianity is the "right" religion. Those other religions are just silly; just look at all the nonsensical rituals they have. That's why my pastor wants us to go over there and "set them straight". Oh, by the way those charges against my pastor, the ones involving the kids on the church retreat at the camp, they simply are not true.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

He is God, the supreme being. He doesn't have to come from anywhere. You don't question where God comes from.
Why is it that religion is so opposed to questions. The ability to answer tough questions would only strengthen your beliefs, yet you avoid them like Superman avoids Kryptonite.

Science thrives on questions. To question is human nature, it is part of the process of learning and growing. Questions are a valuable tool to either prove or disprove theory, as after all, the truth, the facts, the reality is really what a thinking man wants to learn.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Why is it that religion is so opposed to questions. The ability to answer tough questions would only strengthen your beliefs, yet you avoid them like Superman avoids Kryptonite.

Science thrives on questions. To question is human nature, it is part of the process of learning and growing. Questions are a valuable tool to either prove or disprove theory, as after all, the truth, the facts, the reality is really what a thinking man wants to learn.
There are a lot of religious traditions that welcome questions. Anglicanism, for one.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 AM

240 posts, read 475,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
There is always the possibility that we are the only ones. The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are so ridiculous that it should just be assumed that you are not going to win because the probability is so low. Yet, people win the Powerball jackpot all the time, sometimes multiple people win the same jackpot in the same drawing. So, it does happen. Even if the probability that life on Earth is the only life in the Universe is 0.00000000000000000000001, that is still a possible outcome.

So, from a statistical standpoint, it is not arrogance.
From a statistical standpoint it is still arrogance, considering the size of the universe. Even if the odds of intelligent life arising is ridiculously low, the vastness of the universe (billions upon billions of galaxies) guarantees intelligent life to arise somewhere out there--proof already since it's already happened to us. Now the odds of us being the only life in the universe? Highly unlikely and though a possibility (be it a very very tiny pretty much impossible possibility), the sheer size of the universe contradicts the very notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space