Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,673 times

Advertisements

Well to make a long story really short, I have a brother who is autistic. He is very hard to deal with, and 15. We didn't know he was autistic until he was about ten, even a few years ago autism and things like ADHD weren't really diagnosed correctly.

But I am getting to the point now in my life where I want to start thinking of children. I am 21, and plan on having children when I am 25-26. I could Google this information but I want information from people with experience. What causes autism, and how can you prevent it? I have heard many things from eating too much fast food with injected hormonal meat, to being out in the sun too much. Each sounds stupid but is there any truth to these? Also, can a completely healthy woman or man who does not drink, nor smoke have children with autism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM

395 posts, read 1,541,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Well to make a long story really short, I have a brother who is autistic. He is very hard to deal with, and 15. We didn't know he was autistic until he was about ten, even a few years ago autism and things like ADHD weren't really diagnosed correctly.

But I am getting to the point now in my life where I want to start thinking of children. I am 21, and plan on having children when I am 25-26. I could Google this information but I want information from people with experience. What causes autism, and how can you prevent it? I have heard many things from eating too much fast food with injected hormonal meat, to being out in the sun too much. Each sounds stupid but is there any truth to these? Also, can a completely healthy woman or man who does not drink, nor smoke have children with autism?
Yes, my husband and I do not smoke or drink.We also believe that our childs autism was caused by thimerosal in the vaccines. We have read the articles and done a lot of research on the internet and I personally think that the articles "debunking"the mercury autism theory is a cover up.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,250,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post

Sorry, but there is no way to prevent autism. It is thought to be neurological and it isn't unusual for people to have more than one autistic child (I'm not sure at all if having a sibling raised your odds).
There aren't any proven truths to anything you mentioned. I wish you were because we would be much closer to prevention/a cure, but there is really nothing you can do.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,165 times
This is my personal theory: Autism has a strong genetic component (my son has Asperger's, as do my DH and his father too). However, I believe that something is the "key" to open this gene in these children.

This is where I get suspicious of all kinds of toxins, from food additives to vaccinations to drugs given during labor/delivery, to environmental toxins, you name it. My son was not diagnosed until I was already pregnant with my second son. I did my best during that pregnancy and my subsequent pregnancy with my daughter to avoid anything that could possibly be toxic, be it medications of any kind, eating a bad diet of processed foods, and drugs and interventions during the delivery (which was challenging at the hospital so I had a completely natural homebirth with #3). I now breastfeed my children as long as they want to, seeing how BFing is about the best thing you can do for a little one's health. I also avoid unnecessary medications and no longer vaccinate infants. I do not drink or smoke, although I did smoke prior to getting pregnant with my first son and quit cold turkey as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test. I use filtered water and try to avoid all colorings, preservatives, HFCS, etc in our food. It is challenging.

This is just my opinion, you may take it for what it's worth. My son on the spectrum has been more helped with vitamins/supplements and dietary modifications than with anything else. I see a DAN! doctor for him, and that would be an interesting person for you to have a consult with prior to becoming pregnant. (DAN! stands for Defeat Autism Now).

I wish you lots of luck! I always wanted three children and was not going to let the "fear" of autism ruin that for me.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:50 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
My son has Asperger's too, which is autism but a differnt version.

I love him EXACTLY how he is and wouldn't want him any other way. Other parents (like my MIL) have told me haw tiring or difficult he can be - I don't see it. He's got a fast brain...I keep up just fine.

My point is - I love him just like this. And we saw signs at 6 or 7 months of age, WAY before the darn MMR vaccine etc was administered. I do not feel it has anything to do with it

Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 PM

206 posts, read 615,652 times
my son is 6 and i did everything right during my pregnancy i dont smoke are drink i eat healthy when you i kids its a risk anything can happen but when god gives this life it your job to care for it i was told that,
GOD GIVES YOU A AUTISIM CHILD CAUSE YOUR SPEICAL AND YOU CAN LOVE ANYONE.

AND dont let people say its the vaccinations which its not if that was the case all kids would have AUTISM so the best thing for you dont woryy have your babies and be happy

CAUSE ALL CHILDREN ARE A GIFT FROM GOD

Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,417 times
My guess is that genetics have a HUGE roll in this. Look at your family tree and that of your husband. Substance abuse in relatives can mask some spectrum behaviors. If you have a "different" uncle or grandparent they just may have been born before autism was diagnosed like they do today. I wouldn't let this rule out having a child. A lot of kids that have asperger's or mild autism go on to have very fullfilling lives. Even those that have full blown autism can learn and participate in the family. Don't let fear rob you of being a parent if that is what you want.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
My son has Asperger's too, which is autism but a differnt version.

I love him EXACTLY how he is and wouldn't want him any other way. Other parents (like my MIL) have told me haw tiring or difficult he can be - I don't see it. He's got a fast brain...I keep up just fine.

My point is - I love him just like this. And we saw signs at 6 or 7 months of age, WAY before the darn MMR vaccine etc was administered. I do not feel it has anything to do with it
I think it's important to point out that most of us with children on the spectrum love our kids unconditionally (my AS husband gets very distressed at our son's behaviors because his coping/parenting skills are limited). In my son's case, his difficulties and behaviors distress him so much that he begged me to try medication and other means to help. He despises the social difficulties that prevent him from having lots of friends and he just wants to "blend in." (his words, not mine).

For every child like yours where the signs were present at an early age, there is another like my son's friend Ryan who had a huge regression and stopped speaking and making eye contact right after the administration of the MMR. Is that coincidence - could be? But it is more than a little suspicious to me, KWIM?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
I've noticed that AS appears differently then other on the Autism Spectrum. Where autistic children regress and lose social connections - AS kids because socially awkward and are very very intelligent. My son never regressed he was just slow on the social interaction portion of life..

It's hard to teachhim at age 6 to STOP speaking to me in Math Terms. Example: I'll ask what was for snack today and he'll say "Luke = chips" instead of saying "it was Luke's turn today and he brought in chips!"

Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
Yes, my husband and I do not smoke or drink.We also believe that our childs autism was caused by thimerosal in the vaccines. We have read the articles and done a lot of research on the internet and I personally think that the articles "debunking"the mercury autism theory is a cover up.

I also believe autism was caused by thimerosal in the vaccines. My grandchildren's doctor believed it also. Bologna to the genetic factor. Children from all demographics and from all over the country have been diagnosed with autism. It has to come from some common denominator that many children are exposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children