Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM

447 posts, read 322,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
That sounds so much like my daughter! She is also globally delayed, but doesn't have a real diagnosis yet to explain it. She met milestones on time until about 9 months, and then stopped doing new things for a long time. She is moving forward, but just slower than her peers. In everything - speech, motor, cognitive, social. She does not have an autism diagnosis at this time, but they do say that she has some attributes consistent with autism. We always wonder if she will "catch up" in time or not. We have never been offered ABA though.
I don't know how old your daughter is. If I were you I will contact with early intervention team if she is less than 3. I do know some babies get the service as early as 14 months.

How is her eye contact with people other than you?

How does she respond to name being called?

Does she point things and show that to you?

These are some questions for early diagnosis. However, even if your child has no problem with these areas that does not mean she is not autistic. My son is not too bad in these areas but he was defined as 'severely autism' by local school district evaluation team.

You can search M CHATR for children less than 30 months.

A diagnosis can help you get the service you want,however, it depends on you.

If you can not get one from a PED, you can try a neurologist.

That is all I know about the US side.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,931,117 times
My daughter just turned 5. She has been getting services since she was 12 months old, first through early intervention until she was 3, and then through the school system with an IEP since then. She gets special education, speech therapy, and physical therapy with free developmental day preschool. So she gets lots of services, even without a diagnosis.

She is going to start kindergarten in a few months, and I'm not sure what her services will look like in that setting, but she has the IEP in place. We have a transition meeting scheduled in June where we will find out, and then she starts school in July (year-round school).

Besides the team at school, she also sees a developmental pediatrician every 6 months who refers us for various evaluations as it comes up. We are going for an OT eval this week, for example, because doc thinks she needs OT even though the school thinks she doesn't. She did give us a diagnosis of ADHD-other type last month, though I don't really think that is the root of the problem or anything. Other than that, they just say that she is "at risk for" intellectual disability and/or autism, because she doesn't meet the full diagnostic requirements for either, but does have features of both.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

447 posts, read 322,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My daughter just turned 5. She has been getting services since she was 12 months old, first through early intervention until she was 3, and then through the school system with an IEP since then. She gets special education, speech therapy, and physical therapy with free developmental day preschool. So she gets lots of services, even without a diagnosis.

She is going to start kindergarten in a few months, and I'm not sure what her services will look like in that setting, but she has the IEP in place. We have a transition meeting scheduled in June where we will find out, and then she starts school in July (year-round school).

Besides the team at school, she also sees a developmental pediatrician every 6 months who refers us for various evaluations as it comes up. We are going for an OT eval this week, for example, because doc thinks she needs OT even though the school thinks she doesn't. She did give us a diagnosis of ADHD-other type last month, though I don't really think that is the root of the problem or anything. Other than that, they just say that she is "at risk for" intellectual disability and/or autism, because she doesn't meet the full diagnostic requirements for either, but does have features of both.
I would try to have a diagnosis if I were you to get some ABA service. ABA is proved helpful in increasing IQ and development.

Hope both of our children can finally catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children