Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
i The other issue she has in social. That sure is a constant struggle! She is socially/emotionally behind her peers by a couple of years....makes me sad, and we try to help, but at 13, kids can be cruel....and the other girls, getting into clothes/boys/etc, and heres my daughter still playing barbie.....sigh.
I have noticed this in my SS as well. He seems quite a bit behind the other boys his age socially. It is nice to know that is could be the CP causing this. I have been very worried about it. He also doesn't seem to want to try anything new, which doesn't help at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Bumping this one,looking for other parents of children w/ cerebral palsy.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 13,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason-evans View Post
hi I am new to the site and wondering have you found any helpful info in regards to lokomat therapy? I have a nine year old with CP we are looking to try this therapy. It has been hard to get any info, even from MD's. they are not real familiar about it and don't have much to offer at this point, besides surgery which we are not interested in.
Sorry for delay (I'm not from US, I'm from Europe- far away... !!!):

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/106/6/e80
http://www.hocoma.ch/en/products/pediatric-lokomat/videos/cp/
http://www.isa.umh.es/vr2/euron08/doc/Gery%20Colombo/Colombo%20handout%202008.pdf
http://www.masshightech.com/stories/2006/12/11/story1-Health-circuit.html
http://www.hevans.ie/content.php?pageid=62
Robotic-assisted locomotor training in gait rehabilitation of children

Please send an email to moshtoma@yahoo.com for some case reports (6 years old child, etc). Please contact www.spauldingrehab.org , they has experienced on 10 children (7-13 years).

The Lokomat provides "gait training" by moving the legs in a normal physiological pattern that helps the spinal cord and brain to relearn the walking process; this is referred to as ‘neuroplasticity and functional restoration’. A harness supports the patient's body weight over a sensory assisted treadmill. The patient’s legs and hips are strapped into the Lokomat robotic exoskeleton, which simulates a ‘fluid walking motion’. A computer records precise movement measurements and plots them on a graph, which is displayed in real time on a nearby monitor and allows patients and therapists to track progress. (from http://melbournehyperbaric.com.au/Hy...ust%202006.pdf )

Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
i just wanted to add, my daughter is CP spastic diplegic and gymnastics has helped her tremendously! We have had to alter a few of the stretches but OMG....what a difference!! I had her PT come in and we went over things that she does and what we'd need to change, and it was a great process! I coach gymnastics too, and have had a few others come in with this that ive been able to work with and where its not a "cure all" it has made a difference in almost every kid ive been blessed to work with! great strides with self confidence too! just make sure, you get a good coach and id totally suggest a smaller class. With my daughter, i also her her in a little big younger group because of her social issues. Im thrilled we had this chance and did this. Just thought it might be a fun option for other parents.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Thanks to Balanced for the info, & tiffela74 that is awesome! My 21 month old son has spastic diplegia,& I am always looking for new ideas to help him. Has anyone here looked into Hippotherapy? I just found out a local stables does it! If only I could afford it,insurance doesn't cover it.
I just got a great CP book off Amazon,just out last year & LOTS of great info & tips in it:
Amazon.com: Finnie's Handling the Young Child with Cerebral Palsy at Home: Eva Bower PhD FCSP: Your Store

Also read two books by awesome moms of little boys w/ CP,I have emailed back & forth w/ both of them,they are AWESOME ladies,& the books really helped me to feel like I wasn't alone in my struggles w/ dealing w/ my son's CP.

MY PERFECT SON HAS CEREBRAL PALSY by Marie Kennedy

Cameron's Story

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Thanks to Balanced for the info, & tiffela74 that is awesome! My 21 month old son has spastic diplegia,& I am always looking for new ideas to help him. Has anyone here looked into Hippotherapy? I just found out a local stables does it! If only I could afford it,insurance doesn't cover it.
I just got a great CP book off Amazon,just out last year & LOTS of great info & tips in it:
Amazon.com: Finnie's Handling the Young Child with Cerebral Palsy at Home: Eva Bower PhD FCSP: Your Store

Also read two books by awesome moms of little boys w/ CP,I have emailed back & forth w/ both of them,they are AWESOME ladies,& the books really helped me to feel like I wasn't alone in my struggles w/ dealing w/ my son's CP.

MY PERFECT SON HAS CEREBRAL PALSY by Marie Kennedy

Cameron's Story
The Hyppotherapy is one OF THE BEST natural therapy for the balance gaining. If your child can do alternativelly&intensively hyppo (2 week/month, every day half an hour) and Lokomat (next mont, 10-12 days, half an hour/day), the results will be amazing

Old 07-22-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanced View Post
The Hyppotherapy is one OF THE BEST natural therapy for the balance gaining. If your child can do alternativelly&intensively hyppo (2 week/month, every day half an hour) and Lokomat (next mont, 10-12 days, half an hour/day), the results will be amazing
I've never heard of Locomat,just Googled it. None of his dr's or therapists have mentioned it!! He has an appt. w/ a developmental pediatrician tomorrow,I'll ask her about it. I'd love to learn more about it,if it's available here,etc. I am pretty upset that it has never been mentioned to me by any of my son's doctors or therapists! Seems much of what I've learned about CP is from the internet, and NOT the doctors or therapists!!!

Unfortunately ,we can't afford the hiooptherapy,either.

Last edited by KsStorm; 07-22-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 PM

Found more on the website Cerebral Palsy International Research Foundation,surprised I didn't see anything on the more well known United Cerebral Palsy!!

CPI Research Foundation | hope through research

Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Yes KsStorm, because WE, the PARENTS are more interested about our children ..then doctors or therapists. My current therapist - is a Ph.D Doctor !!!- never heard about Lokomat too... he asked me for details about this !!!! She was amazed about my knowledge..... If you have financial resources try to do with your child dolphinotherapy too.... is expensive but WORTH IT.....for the health of your son...
PS. The BALANCE is the key !!!. Try Vojta intensively !!!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
I am a physician and have a LOCOMAT PRO with augmented biofeedback with PEDIATRIC LEGS. We also have a full range of things to help with movement disorders.
The date and videos are quite convincing.
I am located in SAN DIEGO!!
Contact medical rehabilitation & kinematics Lab for details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children