Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2022, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

I'm in charge of babysitting a middle and high schooler (7th grade/10th grade) and wanted to scope out if there are any programs that they could be involved in. Currently both could be interested in E-sports (video games or very simple coding basically) and potentially art too. It'd be great to find things in California with a potential remote option, but parents also want them to go out, so open to COVID safe social options. Anybody have any experience/recommendations for this? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 01:43 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
This depends on what their special needs are. Many cities have programs that people with disabilities can be involved in like arts and crafts. CA is a big state and much different than where I live. I would start with something like "Parks and Recreation" at the city level. Also, the school counselor or teacher may have ideas for you.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:05 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I second the Parks and Recreation Dept.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:35 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I would also go online and see if there is a local group of parents/care givers for special needs children.

I don't know what special needs are involved here, but the Special Olympics have state and regional events and groups. Here is the website for SoCal:

https://www.sosc.org/schools/youngathletes

"Special Olympics transforms lives through the joy of sport, every day, everywhere. We are the world's largest sports organization for people with intellectual disabilities: with 4.4 million athletes in 170 countries -- and millions more volunteers and supporters. We are also a global and social movement.

Through the power of sports, people with intellectual disabilities discover new strengths and abilities, skills, and success. The athletes find joy, confidence and fulfillment -- on the playing field and in life. They also inspire people in their communities and elsewhere to open their hearts to a wider world of human talents and potential."

And NoCal:

https://www.sonc.org/#:~:text=Specia...20participants.

Special Olympics Northern California enriches the lives of more than 26,218 children and adults with intellectual disabilities and their communities in Northern California through sports, education, and athlete health.

All of our programs are at no cost to the participants.

Last edited by Lillie767; 02-24-2022 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children