Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM

12 posts, read 44,069 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Sprague, cheap housing, not bad commute to Spokane. Any info on the people, town, ect would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM

64 posts, read 233,068 times
From what I know, it is a very small town. 1 grocery store (and it isn't a main chain). One locally own burger joint (which makes great burgers) and one or two gas stations. Looking at a 30 minute commute I would think (30 miles). Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 PM

426 posts, read 957,901 times
Personally, with gas going the way it is, I'd try and be closer in, especially if you'll be commuting every day. Spokane isn't a place that's so expensive that you need to be that far out to find an affordable place.

Just my $.02.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshix View Post
...not bad commute to Spokane.
You won't be thinking that during the winters. It's a long, cold, icy drive into Spokane from Sprague.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,001 times
I agree with st33l and fy10fyr. You should definitely look at something closer to Spokane, something only a few miles from where you work. This is good for several logical reasons.

1. You're saving on the environment. You're burning less fossil fuels and therefore, polluting the environment less.
2. You're saving money. Gas is expensive and is only going to climb. Even if you're driving a fuel efficient vehicle and maybe commuting by motorcycle during the nice months of the year (usually April to September), you're going to pay through your nose in gas prices.
3. Time wasted. Time is money in our society, and who needs a 30 minute or more commute? I live five miles from my one job, two miles from my 2nd job, and am just 3 miles from my college. My total commute if I do both things never equals more than 15 miles in a day, and it's never more than 25 minutes total driving time between EVERYTHING, multiple trips. It's quite easy to do this. And, this also means less time spent away from home. Who wants to spend an hour and a half or more in their car every day? Especially when you don't have to? A 5 minute commute is much nicer, and doable in Spokane, if you live in the right place.
4. Winter-time driving. We had a near record-breaking winter this last winter.... There were a few days when my car couldn't get out of our apartment's parking lot, let alone onto the freeway. Hell, even de-icer trucks were sliding off the roads. 30 miles in that kind of shiat is impossible, especially when 5 miles was often times difficult at best. And the winters are long. They start in November (a couple of years ago, it snowed pretty heavily and November and stuck around for a LONG time), and don't usually end until March. Sometimes late march, and I've even seen it snow here in May, and I've been here less than 5 years.
5. Vehicle wear-and-tear. Your car will wear out much faster if you're commuting 60+ miles to work every day, as opposed to 10 or even 20. If you commute 10 miles to work, you're cutting your driving time and wear and tear on your vehicle by 2/3s. With today's vehicle prices, gas prices, and low incomes, this can be an incredible expense, even if you have a warranty, because not all vehicles have 10 year 100,000 warranties, and even if you do, you will go through that warranty very quickly.

So, in the end, I would suggest something much closer to where you work. If you work on the South Hill, try to find a place to live on the South Hill. If you work downtown, try to find something in the city of Spokane, maybe on the north side or the like. Either way, don't pick a place where you're 30 miles away from where you work. That's partly what's gotten America into the place we're in right now.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 44,069 times
Thanks for all the input. I will definatley rethink Sprague, due to the long commute.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshix View Post
Thanks for all the input. I will definatley rethink Sprague, due to the long commute.
Would you be able to telecommute to your job?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
Theres not much out there in Sprague either.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
I gew up in Spokane in what I considered one of the better areas. I thought it would be my city to live for the rest of my life. In reveiwing the atributes of Spokane for our family we found, the police in our yard three times in one week (over a meth bust, stolen car piled up next door, and a joy ride hiting all the cars down the block), unfriendly community, agressive, not able to let our own kids play in our yard with out being right there, oh and love those photo tickets, highest property taxes in Washington. on and on.........So... we moved to Sprague. I found my commute time was the same as the traffic filled Spokane. Very friendly helpful people, who care about you, slower meaningful pace of life, taxes 1/4 of Spokane, milder winters with less snow, a lot of recreation around us..... ie bike trails, fishing, lakes, hunting, hiking. exploring. Why yes.... evaluate. Family or lets just save our environment and be close to our job. Pathetic thinking. (especially when your most likely burning up more gas in traffic) There are many ways to save just as much resources than being miserable. After a year and a half you couldn't pry us away from here. We are seeing many younger families coming in as well as the retired discovering what we have found. Don't get me wrong. If you injoy the big city life and all that goes with it especially the politics and crime (some of the highest in the nation) than Spokane is for you. If you need a break and quality of life and able to easily access the good of Spokane... This is it. Sprague.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
There are some good deals out there for rural home loans right now, too. It was tempting. Unfortunately, the outlieing areas wouldn't have the particular services my family would need.
Don't ask me where to find it, but I've seen stats that when you pay less for a house that's farther away from "town" you end up making up the difference in how much gas you use anyway.
Ultimately, you need to go where your heart leads you for your family's particular needs. I'm a suburb girl myself and will be ending up on a quiet street in the Valley. :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area