Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 01:26 PM

252 posts, read 659,493 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are going to switch over from oil furnace to electric. Yes I know more expensive (well right now anyways) BUT we are going to do this mainly because electric is less maintenance over all. We rent out our Summer Idaho home in the Winter months and seems the tenants have issues with the oil furnace each year. It is an older oil furnace so needs to be replaced anyways. Posted in Spokane forum as there is no Coeur d' alene forum and temps are about the same from Spokane to CDA.

We are going electric due to the ease of maintenance and operation.

Trying to get a ball park estimate on cost to operate during winter season from Oct - May.

On oil this past winter when oil prices were down it ran about $250-$300 every 6 weeks for the Winter season. When oil prices were high a couple years ago it ran around $400-$500 every 6 weeks.

So for those that have electric heat and for a home around 1500 sq. ft. what would you say your average monthly electric heating portion was cost wise?

I am guessing about $200 a month for electric on just the heating part not including everyday electric usage?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 AM

596 posts, read 428,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Hi there,

We are going to switch over from oil furnace to electric. Yes I know more expensive (well right now anyways) BUT we are going to do this mainly because electric is less maintenance over all. We rent out our Summer Idaho home in the Winter months and seems the tenants have issues with the oil furnace each year. It is an older oil furnace so needs to be replaced anyways. Posted in Spokane forum as there is no Coeur d' alene forum and temps are about the same from Spokane to CDA.

We are going electric due to the ease of maintenance and operation.

Trying to get a ball park estimate on cost to operate during winter season from Oct - May.

On oil this past winter when oil prices were down it ran about $250-$300 every 6 weeks for the Winter season. When oil prices were high a couple years ago it ran around $400-$500 every 6 weeks.

So for those that have electric heat and for a home around 1500 sq. ft. what would you say your average monthly electric heating portion was cost wise?

I am guessing about $200 a month for electric on just the heating part not including everyday electric usage?

Thank you,

It really depends on your usage. My Mom used to be on Oil and switched to electric. It was much easier for her, not having to have the fuel truck come out all the time to fill up. She saved some money, but not too much....but, and this is the main point. She keeps the house super warm all the time. She's 85 and recovering from Vaginal Cancer so after chemo and weight loss she likes her house real warm. I feel like I'm going into a sauna in the winter when I go over there. It's usually set at 78, lol. She admitted that she was more frugal when she was on oil, for whatever reasons. Now that she's on electric, she keeps the temps high in the winter. Her house is smaller than your, but her average is around $120 for the year. I believe she also does the Comfort billing from Avista. That's about $40 per month average savings for her. I cannot remember how much it costs for her to make the switch.

So to sum up, it really depends on your usage. Are you home all the time, or do you turn the thermostat down when you're at work? But, I'm sure you'll see some savings.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:55 AM

252 posts, read 659,493 times
Thank you Scott for the information and response.

I'm not really expecting a savings between oil and electric so hearing it is possible is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: