Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,586 times

Advertisements

I need to relocate fast to the Spokane area from Oregon, due to an ill family member. I had focused on Liberty Lake, it's outside the city, less crowded, seems clean, nice and safe.

However, now I've heard it's the "windy city" of the west. Strong winds blowing all the time, or at least frequently enough to be annoying. I hate wind and cannot live in it. But I have only heard this on one blog and have no idea if it's true.

I am doing all this long distance and cannot visit for myself. Real estate agents cannot be trusted to tell the negatives. Anyone familiar with Liberty Lake (near Idaho Border near Hwy 90) and can tell me is it really windy?

I don't mind a light breeze, but not strong winds. I don't understand what about the topography would make this area particularly windy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
I lived in Lancaster, CA so I know wind and became hypersensitive to it. I have not seen that type of strong constant wind up here. I do find the "prairie" to be windy enough to be annoying though. If you look at a map of the area there is large flat area bounded by WA 290 - ID 53 to the north and the I90 and Spokane River to the south and it kind of looks like a funnel with Stateline at the neck of it. So it is windy because it is flat and bare and maybe because of a venturi effect too. The newer area of the town of Liberty Lake is near there. I have friends in Otis Orchards who complain about the wind. It can be completely still at my house in the trees a few miles off the 53 and when I drive down to the highway it is blowing. My guess that it is less windy in treed areas near the actual lake of Liberty Lake.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

231 posts, read 590,878 times
When I first moved to Spokane I rented a house on Five Mile Prairie and everyone told me not to buy a house up there because the wind blows all the time and because it is a higher elevation than Spokane and it gets more snow in the Winter and is hotter in the Summer. The wind seemed pretty strong at times and as the previous poster stated I think all prairies are going to be windy just due to their physical layout(less trees). I bought a house on acreage in North Spokane up by the Wandermer golf course in a treed area and we do not seem to have winds as bad as the rest of Spokane. I have watched the news reporting on the strong winds in Spokane with just a slight breeze at my house.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

32 posts, read 137,952 times
Show me a place that isn't windy....oh, yes it is LA where the smog just settles and not blown away. Wind brings changes in weather doesn't it?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM

93 posts, read 330,104 times
If you're not a tree and spend 100% of your time outdoors, you will be OK.... quite possibly still OK if you ARE a tree...

Seriously, I've lived in Chicago, THE Windy City, and Spokane doesn't hold a candle.... cause it's so windy... just kidding...

I'm being so facetious, because you claim a speedy move necessary for a sick relative, yet the wind speeds are an issue? Seriously, are you a tree?.... or maybe a cloud... I can see how that'd be a problem too...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
When I first moved to Spokane I rented a house on Five Mile Prairie and everyone told me not to buy a house up there because the wind blows all the time and because it is a higher elevation than Spokane and it gets more snow in the Winter and is hotter in the Summer. The wind seemed pretty strong at times and as the previous poster stated I think all prairies are going to be windy just due to their physical layout(less trees). I bought a house on acreage in North Spokane up by the Wandermer golf course in a treed area and we do not seem to have winds as bad as the rest of Spokane. I have watched the news reporting on the strong winds in Spokane with just a slight breeze at my house.
Windermere please

Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM

231 posts, read 590,878 times
I do not mind being corrected when I am wrong, but this seems to be a big distinction in this area, since my real estate agent works for Windermere real estate agency and I was referring to Wandermere golf course. The real estate company is Windermere and the Golf Course is Wandermere. Please get it right when you are trying to be wise guy.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM

108 posts, read 361,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeller View Post
Windermere please
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
I do not mind being corrected when I am wrong, but this seems to be a big distinction in this area, since my real estate agent works for Windermere real estate agency and I was referring to Wandermere golf course. The real estate company is Windermere and the Golf Course is Wandermere. Please get it right when you are trying to be wise guy.

Dang, that was a burn.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Just poking you that you left the "e" off of your original Wandermere so don't get all bent out of shape about a Windermere or a Wandermere...just spell both of them correctly.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 AM

207 posts, read 507,818 times
Spokane is not known to be windy. I have family members that have lived there for 30+ years and they've mentioned many times that it is NOT windy in Spokane. You should be fine in that respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area