Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Not trying to provoke anything, but how does one "cherish diversity"?

Are we really trying to say "practice tolerance"? If so, why don't we just say so? After all, the notion of valuing ("cherishing") a concept (e.g., diversity") seems to be of trivial interest, at best. I mean, after expressing approbation, what's left? Ranking concepts? Caution would be advised in such a scheme. ("Okay, now. 'Diversity' is number one, 'peace' is number two, and 'brotherhood' is number three. No wait. 'Brotherhood' is too gender-specific. Maybe 'personhood' would be better. But no. 'Personhood' just implies the possession of a personailty, doesn't it?")

Contemporary cant is SO weak -- a confused stew of jargon, latinisms, and technobabble. All of the meaning is just scrubbed right out of our discourse these days.

A suggestion? Use as many single-syllable words as possible. Preferably verbs. We are, after all, the linguistic descendants of Anglo-Saxon housecarles, not Berkeley sociologists who wear stocking caps in the summertime.

Compare and contrast:

1. "I celebrate diversity and practice non-discrimination in my daily activities, consequently employing the principles of nonviolence and human equality."

2. "I like to meet good folks and try learn to do as many new things as I can. That is how we all grow and get to be better at life."

Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,512 times
Default Closet Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, please chime in if you know about the Hillyard area.

I am looking to buy a little fixer and most of the REALLY good deals are in the Hillyard area. Is the knock on it appropriate or people just blowing hot air??? Is there a LOT of violent crime or is it mainly property crime??? What the H*LL is so bad about this place.

I would also like to say that I CHERISH and CRAVE DIVERSITY, I cherish the diversity of all peoples. That being said, could anyone tell me if this is a diverse area....that is what I have been told. I will not live in a diverse area, that is a deal breaker for me......even though I am one of the biggest fans of diversity.

Thank you all.............Mwah, Mwah!

So you like Diversity so long as it's not around you? You "CRAVE" it but you absolutely don't want it where you live? Sounds like your trying to either convince yourself or others that your not a racist.

A "nice" neighborhood to me is not defined by the cultural diversity of it so much as the curb appeal and cleanliness of the homes and properties.

Also, people need to stop it with this "Urban American" crap, just another way to catagorize people and the illustrations you show as an example couldn't be further from the truth but nails it for Hip Hop Americans (not urban). So if your going to use Urban American, get it right!

We all know what an American is, so see below for the definition of Urban and then put them together for the true meaning. Ever seen the movie City Slickers?

ur·ban

   /ˈɜrbən/ Show Spelled[ur-buhn] Show IPA
adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or designating a city or town.

2. living in a city.

3. characteristic of or accustomed to cities; citified: He is an urban type.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
This thread has gone far down I-90 out of Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area