Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,848 times

Advertisements

My experiences with "diversity" in California have been mostly negative, with people driving around slamming bass, putting their noisy family gatherings in the front yard, etc. Apartment-dwelling in CA can be especially bad in that regard.

Is Spokane, with it's mostly white population, noticeably quieter? Or does the oft-described "white trash" element make it a wash? Loud country music blaring from pickups vs. rap from cars? This is a pragmatic question, so please don't flag it as being racist, etc. I live in the real world where a lot of people are simply crass. See: Stop boom car noise, motorcycle noise, car alarm noise, barking dog noise, neighbor noise.

It all comes down to decibels, and people who understand that their own noise infringes on others' rights vs. people who just don't care. Obviously this depends on the neighborhood, so answers from those who've lived in various parts of Spokane would be helpful.

On the surface, this question could just be about the worst Spokane neighborhoods, but it's also about the general attitude in the city toward peace and quiet, which seems to be losing ground all across America. Is "The Culture of Loud" less obnoxious in Spokane vs. other cities of its size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 AM

8 posts, read 16,074 times
Spokane is much more quiet in this regard compared with California. Much less tagging too.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
outside dogs and Mariah Carey count?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM

231 posts, read 591,004 times
I live on 10 acres in the Wandermere (Far North) area of Spokane. I can't see the road from my house or any neighbors. I moved here from Southern California a little over two years ago. The quiet is wonderful and one of the reasons I moved up here. The one thing that has taken a little getting used to in terms of noise is people shooting their guns. It can be nerve racking to sit on your front porch and listen to somebody shooting in the area and wondering if they are safe gun owners or if a stray bullet could go whizzing by at any moment. I respect people's right to bear arms, but my past has not exposed me to living in the country where peole can go out and shoot their guns whenever they want. Other than the sporatic gunshots, the quiet is very nice out in the country.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,038,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
My experiences with "diversity" in California have been mostly negative,...Is Spokane, with it's mostly white population, noticeably quieter? ... please don't flag it as being racist...Is "The Culture of Loud" less obnoxious in Spokane vs. other cities of its size?
Not many blacks, you'll love it.

Move to an area with old people.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM

986 posts, read 2,509,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
I live on 10 acres in the Wandermere (Far North) area of Spokane. I can't see the road from my house or any neighbors. I moved here from Southern California a little over two years ago. The quiet is wonderful and one of the reasons I moved up here. The one thing that has taken a little getting used to in terms of noise is people shooting their guns. It can be nerve racking to sit on your front porch and listen to somebody shooting in the area and wondering if they are safe gun owners or if a stray bullet could go whizzing by at any moment. I respect people's right to bear arms, but my past has not exposed me to living in the country where peole can go out and shoot their guns whenever they want. Other than the sporatic gunshots, the quiet is very nice out in the country.
I wouldn't be living in a rural section, but that's a good point. You also come across that in some cities with police training ranges on the outskirts of suburbs. It is legal to own a silencer/suppressor in many states and I'd do that vs. annoying my neighbors.

I've also heard stories of people buying semi-remote dream homes and ending up with neighbors who think they can crank music 24/7 because of the spacing between homes (as if sound doesn't carry and can't be insidious at lower levels).

Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM

59 posts, read 160,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
It's funny, I actually have to deal with that at my house in Napa Valley but not where I'm living here.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Plenty of MORONS who have adopted the habit of driving down the road blasting vile, low frequency, high amplitude ghe**o music from their vehicles. Why has this society become so full of inconsiderate idiots?????

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
NoiseFreeAmerica.org, in the past, has listed all the cities, states, counties across the country where they've vastly curtailed Boom Cars.

Some examples:

State of Oregon: $1500 for a first offense
State of Louisiana: $150 fine, loss of license for 30 days
Pequannock, NJ: Fines up to $3,000
Chicago, IL: $300, first offense; then up to $1,000
Buffalo, NY: Up to $1500 fine and 15 days in jail
Akron, OH: On the spot confiscation of stereo equipment
Danville, IL: $250 first offense, 2nd offense: impoundment of vehicle
East Chicago IL: $2500 plus towing, impoundment and storage
Tucson, AZ: $100 1st offense, then doubles each time
Springfield, OH: 1st offense $100, 2nd offense 30 days in jail or a $250 fine, 3rd offense maximum of 60 days in jail or a $500 fine

Boom car owners would only laugh if you told them that loud noises can actually trigger heart attacks in some people! Any noise can change the chemistry of your body!

On two recent visits to NYC/Manhattan I never heard one boom car the whole time I was there. Mayor Bloomberg has been on a mission to make NYC the quietest big city in the country, with $350 fines for merely honking your horn in a residential area. Boom cars? Bloomberg probably had them all dumped into the Hudson River or dumped offshore into the ocean!

With some creativity, imagination they're incredibly easy to get rid of in your neighborhood!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM

143 posts, read 406,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Plenty of MORONS who have adopted the habit of driving down the road blasting vile, low frequency, high amplitude ghe**o music from their vehicles. Why has this society become so full of inconsiderate idiots?????
Yeah, the dumber the music, the louder it's being played. But I bet it's the same everywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area