Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from western Washington and it seems every day I'm reading about a house or apartment fire in Spokane. Can anyone whose lived in Spokane for awhile explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM

231 posts, read 590,802 times
My wife's theory is that there is nothing else of interest to report here. There are probably the same amount of house fires here as anywhere else though I do not have any statistical back-up for this assertion. In other areas they just do not have time to report house fires with all the other relevant news.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
My wife's theory is that there is nothing else of interest to report here. There are probably the same amount of house fires here as anywhere else though I do not have any statistical back-up for this assertion. In other areas they just do not have time to report house fires with all the other relevant news.
Your wife may have something there. Aside from fires and the occasional pit bull ripping off some child's face, there often doesn't seem to be much happening in Spokane that is newsworthy.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Your wife may have something there. Aside from fires and the occasional pit bull ripping off some child's face, there often doesn't seem to be much happening in Spokane that is newsworthy.
*pharmacy robberies

Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
*pharmacy robberies
Oops. Forgot about those. Walgreen's, Rite Aid....

Cooking meth in a single-wide in Hangman Valley.
The kids have runny noses and it's snowing again.
For dinner, we're all going to LOOK at a box of mac n cheese.
The wife's teeth are tattletale gray.

Life in Spokane. For the lost ones.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM

426 posts, read 958,679 times
The smaller media market has something to do with it, Spokane and Tacoma are roughly the same size, and get roughly the same amount of fires. The difference is Tacoma is in a media market of 3+ million, vs. just under 500K.

In the same way, I'd bet a lot of things that make the news in Billings, wouldn't make it in Spokane

It's also a function of income. Lower income areas burn more frequently than more affluent areas, and there's no doubt where Spokane sits on that scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area