Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2023, 09:22 PM

48 posts, read 64,346 times

Advertisements

I will be in Spokane in November for work and will have probably one afternoon/evening, and one day to get out and explore. I know this is probably impossible to answer, but I'm looking for suggestions on where to check out.

We currently live in the Denver area and love Colorado. But I retire in 8 years and the income tax situation in WA is attractive. I also love the water, so being near CDA could be nice. We are very active and enjoy climbing, mountain biking, trail running, and disbursed camping. It's easy here because we are spoiled with so much National Forest land less than an hour away.

I'm hoping to get out and at least get a small taste of what outdoor recreation areas are around Spokane. If you had one day to explore, where would you go? Colville NF? Mica Peak? I also need to get over to see CDA, or Sandpoint.

I know it's impossible to give the area a fair assessment in such a short time but it's my first chance to visit the area so I'd like to at least drive through some areas that might expose me to some of what the area has to offer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 09:13 PM

25 posts, read 31,941 times
I visited Spokane this summer. I’ve also lived in CO (Denver) and am also a trail runner. I loved Riverside State Park, specifically the Bowl and Pitcher area. I went for a beautiful run with views of the river throughout. I would highly recommend it for a run! While the area is surrounded by forests and mountains, make sure you also explore the downtown/Riverfront Park area. I think Riverfront Park is my favorite waterfront in the US.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:25 PM

I see that the area is surrounded by forests, but I can't tell how much of this is public access. We're used to heading west and having open public access to the mountains. Hopefully I can get a feel for it when I'm up there.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
I traveled through Spokane, but if I were you I would just head over to CDA, & up into Idaho panhandle as far as you have time for. It’s beautiful & I hope not as crowded as in summer. Or, from CDA, travel 50 miles east on I-90 to Wallace, ID. It’s a cool little mountain town, I love it.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:02 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Mostly, I just drive through Spokane, but I know they have some really nice river parks, good fishing, and good boating opportunities.

You would have good access to Coeur d'Alene and all the lakes and mountains, but if you are thinking of a place to move, CDA is not a cheap place to live. Real estate is substantially higher than it is in Spokane and Idaho is not a low tax state.

November is probably too early for the ice ribbon, which is a really cool thing in Spokane. They have a beautiful long trail of skating rink that winds around.

Looking at a map, if you go north from Spokane you should get into some good mountains and there are some really attractive small towns north of Spokane.

Old 11-06-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwaffle View Post
. I think Riverfront Park is my favorite waterfront in the US.
That's really saying something! The trail looks great in Google street view. Since my time is really limited for this trip, I think I'm going to try and see some of the more mountainous national forest areas.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:02 PM

Depending on how much free time I have, I'm thinking I'll head north on 2 and follow the river a bit north of Newport, then head over to Sandpoint and down to CDA, then back to Spokane. Does anyone have any specific spots along this path, or different spots, they recommend? I'm mostly interested in seeing the geography for climbing/biking/running, and cool little towns would be nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area