Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Why are Americans so obsessed with race? Taking incidents like these and using them to score some kind of cheap political point and/or even worse, race points.

Absolutely mental.
You cannot be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sadly this is the 2nd incident committed by young blacks on whites in one week. No, it may not be racially motivated but it should raise some issues about the lack of morals and empathy that these young perpetrators have and the need to change it. Ironically, Obama commented on the Martin murder, yet has remained silent on these two.
While I disagree with any implication that this is racially motivated, I completely agree with the sentiment of the fact that two incidences - this senseless beating and the shooting of the Australian baseball player in Oklahoma - that were both done by teenage African-Americans, should act as a eye-opener as to the prevailing culture of gangs/hip-hop music. i.e. life is all about drugs, "respect" while disrespecting others, turf wars, etc.

It's too bad that this incident in Spokane was committed as a beating, rather than a shooting - liberals would have loved to blame all this on the big, bad gun.

RIP Shorty.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
While I disagree with any implication that this is racially motivated, I completely agree with the sentiment of the fact that two incidences - this senseless beating and the shooting of the Australian baseball player in Oklahoma - that were both done by teenage African-Americans, should act as a eye-opener as to the prevailing culture of gangs/hip-hop music. i.e. life is all about drugs, "respect" while disrespecting others, turf wars, etc.

It's too bad that this incident in Spokane was committed as a beating, rather than a shooting - liberals would have loved to blame all this on the big, bad gun.

RIP Shorty.
And that is why it continues to be a problem. Conservatives keep attributing the problem as a drug/gang related one, when in truth it's a combination of economics and lack of parenting caused by a culture of absent fathers. Drug and gang culture are a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Second juvenile arrested in Delbert Belton case - Spokesman.com - Aug. 26, 2013

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM

84 posts, read 163,939 times
Default Racial, as in comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sadly this is the 2nd incident committed by young blacks on whites in one week. No, it may not be racially motivated but it should raise some issues about the lack of morals and empathy that these young perpetrators have and the need to change it. Ironically, Obama commented on the Martin murder, yet has remained silent on these two.
1st of all I meant the racial bias on the part of the commentor. I do not know if there was any racial element on the part of the attackers. I have little doubt about the lack of morals and empathy on their part. What Obama was commenting on was the biases inherent in the law, and in the history of this country. Had it not been for those biases Zimmerman might not have killed the young man. Had it not been for those biases the two perpatrators might not have been in a situation where they would have even thought of committing such an act. I cannot say that either of those points is correct but I do say that we need to look at such acts with an eye toward understanding them better if we are interested in preventing them. That is what President Obama was getting at. Even if the elderly veteran was racially profiled it was not likely a systemic problem. It is very likely that the Trevon Martin case WAS.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM

84 posts, read 163,939 times
Default Post Script

Oh, and by the way; Obama has not commented on thousands of incidents that have taken place before or after the three mentioned above.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Just a small question here: how do we know, and why do we therefore assume, that none of the incidents in question (Zimmerman/Martin, Oklahoma Australian baseball player, northside Spokane elderly vet) had racism as a contributing factor?

Because the attorneys for the accused said so?

Pretty weak evidence, in my opinion...

Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Why are Americans so obsessed with race? Taking incidents like these and using them to score some kind of cheap political point and/or even worse, race points.

Absolutely mental.
Perhaps due to the media and this gov being soooooo obsessed with race. The leadership in this country used Trayvon to try to stir up the pot as well did the good Rev Sharpton.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Just a small question here: how do we know, and why do we therefore assume, that none of the incidents in question (Zimmerman/Martin, Oklahoma Australian baseball player, northside Spokane elderly vet) had racism as a contributing factor?

Because the attorneys for the accused said so?

Pretty weak evidence, in my opinion...
-Would Zimmerman have gone after a white/Asian/Latino kid?
-One of the OK perps was white, would the crime have been any less horrific if they had killed a black guy?
-Why would racism have been a factor in Spokane? Any of us who has lived there know how much of a novelty it is to even see somebody that is not white around there.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb A Non-Resident Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
-Would Zimmerman have gone after a white/Asian/Latino kid?
-One of the OK perps was white, would the crime have been any less horrific if they had killed a black guy?
-Why would racism have been a factor in Spokane? Any of us who has lived there know how much of a novelty it is to even see somebody that is not white around there.
As is my custom, I tip my hat and ask your forgiveness when I post on a forum or thread that isn't in my area (SW Ohio)

First off, I salute 'Shorty' and ALL veterans, not giving a damn about race, creed, religion, gender, whatever...my dad was a Tuskeegee Airman and, had he lived, would have been about Shorty's age...hell, I got chills when I first read about this, thinking 'that could have BEEN my dad!'

Secondly, as a black man, I truly wish people could drop the bulls**t notion that black folk think with some collective planetary brain, and we sit somewhere silently cheering any black on white (or black on black) incident and the perps involved...also, the President, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, et al do NOT speak for me, or a vast majority of blacks in this country...if I think someone black did or said something stupid, then I will open my mouth and SAY SO---yeah, I voted for him, but if he's wrong then bleep it, his a** is wrong, and so are these two lowlife wastes of flesh, organs, and oxygen

Hell NO...they need to take these sick little punks and put 'em away for life, or give them the hot seat, depending on Washington state law...

This is 2013, and I am not naive enough (at 57) to believe that there aren't stll racial issues in this country...but I'm not wasting my time giving in to stereotypes about whites, blacks, or anyone else for that matter---there's still too much needing to be done, and lip-flapping on an internet forum ain't gonna solve the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: