Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 AM

7 posts, read 15,531 times

Advertisements

So, I'm 23, male, rather thin and feminine looking. (Not the way I dress, but the way I look; can't help it)
I am currently living in Smokey point (Arlington) WA. This is where I have lived most of my life. It's mostly country farm people I encounter in this area and conservative elderly Christians..
I have also lived in Colville WA (that was pretty conservative and I took flack there). I also lived in Tucson, AZ for a year. It was quite "ghetto" with gang activity, drug cartel, drug addicts, alcoholics, and trailer trash, but I never had problems or major homophobic incidents.
If anyone is familiar with the cities I have lived in, how does Spokane compare? Will I be better or worse off than those areas? I really want to stay in WA state because my family's here and for other reasons, but housing prices are ridiculous on the west side (And it's too humid and wet for my liking), so options are limited.
Spokane seems to be my best bet for weather and population size.
I'm pretty introverted, so I don't get out a whole lot, or do a lot of socialization, but I do want to make sure I won't be harassed walking to the store and such..

Opinions? Oh, and I'm looking at the Country Home (north) Area of Spokane (Found a decent looking, affordable apartment on N Hillndale St) but am open to any area as long as it's safe.
Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,782 times
Nobody really has problems with Gay people here in Spokane and especially on the North side where I live. We don't care that much and for some GLB(ISGD)Q that can seem to be a real problem.

As in, if you want people tripping all over you becuase you are Gay, or you want people to try and parade you around as their "Gay Friend" so they can build up some sort of social smuggness capital, you'll have to look a little harder over in Spokane than in Seattle. I repeat, we don't care if you are Gay. We have Gay friendly bar's here, a very highly attended pride parade/festival every year so despite what screeching liberals tend to portray about Spokane we can be a fairly excepting population.

We're more concerned about how you are as a person. You have a job and pay taxes? Great. You like kids and animals, even better. You don't mind being tolerant of people who are not like you (i.e some of us like guns, some of us even kill animals to feed our families from time to time, plus there are some here in Spokane who believe in God-not me but a lot do) then you will do just fine here.

Welcome to Spokane!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Too soon to rep you again aplcr0331, but one heckuva post.

People do need to be reminded from time to time that their own attitudes need occasional refurbishing just as much as everyone else's...

Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 15,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Too soon to rep you again aplcr0331, but one heckuva post.

People do need to be reminded from time to time that their own attitudes need occasional refurbishing just as much as everyone else's...
What is it you're saying and who are you talking to?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesez View Post
What is it you're saying
Lack of self-awareness is an equal opportunity affliction.

Quote:
and who are you talking to?
aplcr0331

Old 11-15-2013, 04:51 PM

44 posts, read 119,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Nobody really has problems with Gay people here in Spokane and especially on the North side where I live. We don't care that much and for some GLB(ISGD)Q that can seem to be a real problem.

As in, if you want people tripping all over you becuase you are Gay, or you want people to try and parade you around as their "Gay Friend" so they can build up some sort of social smuggness capital, you'll have to look a little harder over in Spokane than in Seattle. I repeat, we don't care if you are Gay. We have Gay friendly bar's here, a very highly attended pride parade/festival every year so despite what screeching liberals tend to portray about Spokane we can be a fairly excepting population.

We're more concerned about how you are as a person. You have a job and pay taxes? Great. You like kids and animals, even better. You don't mind being tolerant of people who are not like you (i.e some of us like guns, some of us even kill animals to feed our families from time to time, plus there are some here in Spokane who believe in God-not me but a lot do) then you will do just fine here.

Welcome to Spokane!
Yep well said. I think Spokane/CDA is place where in general people just want to be left alone to do their thing. If that means shooting guns, great. If that means going to a gay bar, great. If that means going to Church every Sunday, great. If that means shooting guns THEN going to a Church then going to a gay bar, Mazel Tov!

I don't tell you how to live your life, you don't tell me how to live mine. And we all just live our lives happily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area