Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 17,070 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have been looking into relocating to the Spokane area. It looks like the perfect place for us to move to, except for one problem...the crime rates seem much higher than the national averages! Has this affected any of you that live or have lived in Spokane?? Just want some more information! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Are you going by that City-Data crime index of 325.2?

When going through the C-D listings, I really have to question the validity of that index. Some cities and/or towns that I always thought had low crime and were relatively safe, had high index numbers. Some places that I thought had reputations for high crime, had relatively low index numbers.

Spokane, for the most part, is one of those places I always thought was safe. Sure they have their share of crime and had some notorious cases but still I "thought" it was a pretty safe place to live.

Now, I haven't ever lived in Spokane but have spent a lot of time visiting. I can't address the crime problems first hand as a resident. However, most of the folks I know there seem to think their city is relatively safe.

Let's hear from some of you who live there. Is it that bad?

--'rocco

Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
If you'll read through the posts under "Questions about Spokane" you'll see this topic argued on both sides. Yes there is crime in Spokane, and yet it's also one of the safest places to live. It really depends on what part of town you live in, and what you consider "bad" crime. There are a lot of property type crimes in certain areas that have raised the rates.
I've lived here since 1998 and in that time the only crime I've personally had committed against me, was my purse was stolen out of the back seat of a friend's car that we both thought was locked but was left unlocked at a state park while we went hiking. That was carelessness on my part, but it still happened.
I feel very safe in Spokane but I don't hang out in areas where there tend to be more drug users, addicts, etc. I think Spokane is like most cities - you have good and bad areas and need to be smart about where you go.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Good post, Wendy! Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM

143 posts, read 406,764 times
First of all, check www.spokanegis.com/crimemap (broken link) to see what areas have low crime, and see if you can find affordable homes in that area.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 AM

135 posts, read 600,021 times
Default dcook 03

here's a link to the thread on spokane crime stats...it's actually a debate that has gone on back and forth...interesting reading!
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...t-spokane.html

Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 16,694 times
Default Re: Crime In Spokane

I am visiting Spokane this summer, with my family. I was wondering which is the safest part of town to stay in? I have had problems in the past, not knowing the area I was staying in was a high crime area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM

135 posts, read 600,021 times
Default I'd be careful...

I don't have an answer for you. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott downtown it was fine. But, there were vagrants right around the hotel along the Centennial Trail...saw/ran into them as I took my jog. It was unnerving.

Are you going on business? Or just a vacation? My friend who lives there says she has to be very careful...and doesn't go to certain areas of Spokane due to feeling uncomfortable especially when by herself.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:13 AM

4 posts, read 33,521 times
I'm moving to the area without having visited.....yes.....we are crazy but life is always a risk. I like to calulate my risks, somewhat, though so please share with me any info you have on the "safer" areas of town vs. the more dominant crime ridden areas. We have 5 kids we desire to protect but still want a fairly diverse location. thanks so much!

Old 06-09-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 25,844 times
I have lived on the East side of Washington state all my life. Spokane or more commonly know among the younger crowd as "SpoCompton" in the town I live in. The town is old with shabby old districts in some areas. Meth heads, bums, a few hookers nothing to strange for a semi large popution. Spokane is largest town on the east side of the state. Spokane sprawls almost clear to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

If you have time to scope out the town I'm sure that you will be able to spot the good areas vs bad. There are many family locations for kids; parks, malls, soccer and baseball fields and such. The problem with Spokane is drugs, such as meth, coke/crack, and heiroine users hiding out in thier house until they need to go get something at store while trying to act normal trying to stuff lipstick into her purse, which is not the reason she came to store in the first place but gets caught and becomes a statistic for theft, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, posession of Meth or coke in either in car(used to get to store)or on the person, and is on parole and didnt have a license or Insurance for the car. I beleive these are the numbers you are looking at. Generaly I would have to say Spokane is not the bad of place to live as the other places I have scene though out the states.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area